Academy CH-53E 1/48 Re-release?

The Wolfpack kit is based on the MH-53E with the larger sponsons and mine hunting gear.  JMSDF is the only other operator of the MH-53E that I know of.

Too bad Academy didn’t make the kit modular or make the alternate sprues available separately.

Mike B

On 7/29/2022 at 3:40 PM, MikeDadofFour said:

Does anyone have contacts with Academy to see if they would re-release the CH-53E in 1/48?

With all the new accessories from Reskit, it’s a shame this kit can’t be found anymore.

Thanks!

Mike B

It can be found now and again on ebay for £150-£250 depending on how greedy the seller is feeling.

They did re-release the MH-53E Sea Dragon version during COVID but as South Korea was on almost total lockdown it didnt really get to any disty in the west.
It can be had but its not cheap due to the shipping costs now. Which can amount to as much as half the price of the kit again on top just to get hold of it. 

Edited by ElectroSoldier

Let’s hope they plan a proper integration between wheel wells, intakes and bomb bays.  Especially the main wheel wells which are shaped to match the intake trunking.  Seems no-one gets this correct.

Also, if they’re doing the landing gear, let’s hope they get the main gear retraction equipment correct cause everyone seems to forget there’s a large tubular structure at the main folding hinge to which the retraction actuator is attached.

Fingers crossed that their CAD designers used actual photos and measurements and not just 3d scanned the HB kit parts, adding minor improvements.

35 minutes ago, MikeDadofFour said:

Let’s hope they plan a proper integration between wheel wells, intakes and bomb bays.  Especially the main wheel wells which are shaped to match the intake trunking.  Seems no-one gets this correct.

Also, if they’re doing the landing gear, let’s hope they get the main gear retraction equipment correct cause everyone seems to forget there’s a large tubular structure at the main folding hinge to which the retraction actuator is attached.

Fingers crossed that their CAD designers used actual photos and measurements and not just 3d scanned the HB kit parts, adding minor improvements.

Think this should actually be meant for the F-111 parts thread?

36 minutes ago, MikeDadofFour said:

???  Are we still talking about the CH-53?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2022 at 4:43 PM, ziggyfoos said:

I wonder why the MH-53E gets the re-release attention instead. 

I too wish they would repop the CH-53E instead. Similarly, the early H-46 series too while they're at.

I really dont know on that one. The CH-53E model would have sold by the pallet load.

• 4 weeks later...

As one of the posters already said the Academy MH-53E was re-released during COVID, but only made it to a few eBay sites and not the US market at all.  So they both CH-53E/MH-53E continue to demand a high price when you can find them.  Academy had said at the 2020 IPMS show they would release it again, but that could've been "show bar talk" for all I know from the vendors.

The JMSDF MH-53E's are retired now, so only thing out there is the 1/72nd scale models by Italeri, and the 1/48th scale offerings by Wolfpack JMSDF MH-53E, the Academy MH-53E and the MonoChrome JMSDF MH-53E. (Which I believe is the Academy MRC kit reboxed) 

The JMSDF is full blown deploying the MCV-22B's in the role the MH-53E used to play.

There are very minor differences "outwardly" between the two MH-53E's, Japan and USN.  The aerial refueling probe being one of them.  the rest of the airframe is pretty standard, you could just use the AR cover they include in the kits as many of the USN MH-53E's routinely fly with out their probes installed.  Up to the builder, with/without probe is correct for about any situation.

I know that model companies see what their kits bring on the secondary market, i.e. eBay, Facebook, swap meets etc.  So one could hope that Academy/MRC would see that they can do very well to re-release the CH-53E in 1/48th scale, especially with all of the aftermarket resin being offered to super detail the kit.  Now more than ever they need to look at another major run of the kit.  Especially as the CH-53K is being delivered to the fleet Marine Forces now, and they are having much success with the deployment of the CH-53K to say the least.

Fingers crossed they see the market potential, and get the plastic flowing into those "already paid for" molds!!

Gunny Dan

On 9/12/2022 at 6:21 PM, YF65_CH53E said:

The JMSDF MH-53E's are retired now, ...

The JMSDF is full blown deploying the MCV-22B's in the role the MH-53E used to play.

Gunny, 

I am pretty sure that the JMSDF uses the Agusta-Westland CH-101 built under license by Kawasaki as the MCH-101 for the Airborne Mine-Counter measures (AMCM) role.  To date, only the JGSDF uses the MV-22B Osprey in Japan for now.

S/f,

Dutch

8 hours ago, Dutch said:

Gunny, 

I am pretty sure that the JMSDF uses the Agusta-Westland CH-101 built under license by Kawasaki as the MCH-101 for the Airborne Mine-Counter measures (AMCM) role.  To date, only the JGSDF uses the MV-22B Osprey in Japan for now.

S/f,

Dutch

Dutch,

You are correct and I stand corrected.  I gave bad gouge.  The MCH-101 is now the AMCM replacement for the MH-53E Sea Dragon for the JMSDF.  When I was in the program office the plan was for both JMSDF and JGSDF to deploy one Type/Model/Series and at that time is was the CV/MV-22B variant.

The JGSDF has a procurement goal today of (17) aircraft.  They are hybrid CV/MV/MCV-22B's.  They carry the avionics array of USAF CV's and USN MCV's, but they do not have the extended range tanks of the USN MCV-22B, they have the standard tanks of the USMC MV-22B.  Other ACM pods specialized to the USAF CV-22B are also not present on their variant.  They have some self defense counter measures but no where near the USAF CV variant.  

CH-101/MH-101 is a great helicopter, I had the chance to fly it at PAX River when we were still in the early days of the VH replacement program.  Ultimately the Sikorsky S-92 or VH-92 won out, but the -101 was a very good machine!!

Thanks for the correction Sir!!

r/Dan

Dan, 

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound ugly. I just couldn't see an Osprey towing a mine sled. 🤪

Agreed that the EH-101 is a nice machine. My RN buddy tells me from jump in to rotor spinning is about 2.5 minutes.

I see that all three Japanese services are heavily invested in the Sikorsky H-60 T/M/S. They have all retired their KV-107s, though both JASDF & JGSDF still fly the Chinook for rescue and heavy cargo work respectively. Maybe JASDF will buy the Osprey for rescue work eventually?

Kindest regards, 

Dutch

Edited by Dutch
41 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Dan, 

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound ugly. I just couldn't see an Osprey towing a mine sled. 🤪

Agreed that the EH-101 is a nice machine. My RN buddy tells me from jump in to rotor spinning is about 2.5 minutes.

Kindest regards, 

Dutch

Dutch,

Not at all.  You're Good to Go.  Thank you for the correction.

As far as the Osprey pulling a Mk-105.......well you know the USN asked the program office a few years back....😱 (it didn't go far)

This is the link - quite a bit higher than the price you quote. Part of the reason is the Norwegian 25% VAT that would likely be deducted if ordered from abroad as it would then be export and not domestic sales
ACADEMY 12703 - 1:48 MH-53E SEA DRAGON U.S.NAVY - Amundsen Hobby

Not sure if the webpage has an english edition

• 10 months later...

Just to pile on to this thread, I've been waiting for a few years to find an Academy MH-53E on eBay for a reasonable price.  Two weeks ago, all of a sudden half a dozen kits appeared that were going for $75.00 (U.S.) a pop.  All coming from South Korea.  These kits were listed next to other sellers that were asking twice the price.

• 2 weeks later...

Can often find Revell 1/48 CH-53G or GS or GS/G. They have german military decals, but a perfect platform for CH-53D Ugly Angel decals from flying lestherneck, considering everyone puta Ugly Angel decals on the Academy CH-53E when Ugly Angels only had the D variant. The only HMH in Hawaii that had 53E's was Pegasus

Edited by dangerdan87
27 minutes ago, dangerdan87 said:

Ugly Angels only had the G variant

Ugly Angels flew the D and was designed HMH (as are all 53 squadrons unless on a DET). They were HMM when they flew the H-34. Now they are VMM flying the MV-22B. 

1 hour ago, Tank said:

Ugly Angels flew the D and was designed HMH (as are all 53 squadrons unless on a DET). They were HMM when they flew the H-34. Now they are VMM flying the MV-22B. 

Thats what I meant. Ch53D, which is the same as the CH53G pretty much. I guess G was stuck in my head since ive been shopping for the CH53G to make a CH53D.

I was in the grunts in Hawaii. I was only a passenger on occasion on Ugly Angels and Pegasus 

Edited by dangerdan87