Academy CH-53E 1/48 Re-release?

1 hour ago, dangerdan87 said:

I was in the grunts in Hawaii. I was only a passenger on occasion on Ugly Angels and Pegasus 

GTG, my pax time was with the Flying Tigers (361) and/or Warhorse (465). They were both at CAX but I don’t recall which month we did which things. I do recall being a pax on a Phrog from the Purple Foxes (364). Might have been 465 as they were paired up at the same time. 

HMM-362 started life as you said as a CH-34 squadron in Vietnam.  They transisioned to the CH-53A, vice the CH-46, and took on the designation of Marine Heavy Helicoptor Squadron -362 (HMH-362).  They later transioned to the CH-53D while they were stationed at MCAS New River, NC.  They were there for years doing East Coast deployments all the way up to and through Desert Storm.  HQMC decided to move all of the CH-53D's to MCB Kaneohe Bay in the 90's.  

CH-53's with MAG-24 at Kaneohe consisted of:

HMT-301 "Wind Walkers" Traning Command

HMH-362 "Ugly Angels" FMF Unit

HMH-363 "Red Lions"   "   "

HMH-463 "Pegasus"     "   "

When the CH-53D finally sundowned in the 2000's MAG-24 was assigned (1) CH-53E unit and it was HMH-463, as HMH-362, HMH-363 were put into cadre awaiting MV-22B deliveries, and their ultimate redesignation as VMM-363, and VMM-363.  The squadron lineage is interesting here as both 362 and 363 were at one time HMM medium lift squadrons with CH-34's, and now they are back to medium lift designations with the MV-22B Osprey's.

Semper Fi to both of you!!

Gunny Dan

Ryan,

You are 100% correct.  HMR-361, 362, 363 started with HRS-2/3 (H-19) helicopters in the 1950's.  On the earlier post I was talking about the H-34 comment, but you are also right about that.  The USMC flew the "UH-34D" not the CH-34D, that was a typo by a shitter guy.  😜 Who is used to putting "CH" in everything....

r/Dan

It’s all good Gunny. The Army did fly Ch-34’s to make things more confusing. 🤪

I think we can all agree Academy needs to re-release their 46 and 53 kits and/or someone else re-release that plastic or a new mold. 

• 4 months later...
4 hours ago, TempleDragon said:

The reason that Academy won’t re-release CH-53 kit is because the tooling for tree F is damaged. It deemed too expensive to re-tool. Hence, CH-53 is gone forever. 

this is from a friend, who works Academy in Korea. 

Are you sure it’s the F sprue? That is the sponson sprue. They could release the Navy MH kit and a entertaining company could release smaller sponsons to make a Marine Echo kit. So the kit wouldn’t be gone, just not as easily built. If it’s another sprue like the A sprue, fuselage that would be a different store. 

14 hours ago, TempleDragon said:

The reason that Academy won’t re-release CH-53 kit is because the tooling for tree F is damaged. It deemed too expensive to re-tool. Hence, CH-53 is gone forever. 

this is from a friend, who works Academy in Korea. 

Are we positive on this?  Why would MRC be asking for photos here?