What are those sailors doing to that P-40 that's hanging by its wheels in slings?

Hey Y'all: Question, What are those sailors doing to that P-40 that's hanging by its wheels in slings in what appears to be an aircraft carrier hangar?

🤔

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2nBpN6S][img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52252904692_105486864b_c.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2nBpN6S]Curtiss P-40[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/20087013@N02/]Willard  Womack[/url], on Flickr

Hmm, apparently I've lost track of something that's different on this forum about external images compared to the couple other forums I'm on.

🤔

Oh well, the endocrine and neurological diseases are roughing me up today and I'm not going to try to figure it out.

Edited by southwestforests

Might be tricky to answer to what they're actually doing to the plane but if the question is why is it on a carrier? Operation Torch.

Hello all - I believe that this is P-40F 41-13927 which was taken out of service in 1943. Looks like it was being transported via CV in early 1943 for action in the North African / Mediterranean region. When CVs and CVEs were used for aircraft transport, they were usually filled to the gills with aircraft. When an aircraft is off-loaded from a carrier, it is normally via a crane from one of the CV's elevators and would not be in a sling like in the picture. My guess is that in order to maximize space in the hanger bay, they were slinging aircraft up into the overhead.

I am not for certain, but I believe this P-40 belonged to the 325th FG and would make sense that it was taken out of service later in 1943 when they upgraded to P-47s.

Cheers,

John

Edited by vonjhn68
8 hours ago, southwestforests said:

Thanks. Will make a note then try to remember that there is a note.

That sounds a lot like when my wife's put something somewhere safe where she won't lose it - and then can't remember where she put it... :doh:

Andy, it's not just your wife who forgets where she puts things. While going through some of my stash boxes this weekend, while looking for something completely different, I "found" a small parcel inside one of my larger boxes containing all kinds of goodies that I "lost" a couple of years ago!  I swear, I am my own worst enemy!  🤪

6 hours ago, jonwinn said:

hats on oddly

I have a theory about how people get sci-fi and fantasy character, location, and faction, names; they look at a phrase like "hats on oddly" and go, "Ah! 'Hatzon Ahdly'!"

And then they create a faction named Hatzon Ahdly who in the most amazing unplanned coincidence all happen to wear silly hats as a cultural identifier because of a local deity who shall smite those who do not.

And speaking of ominous Nuns and smiting dieties, way back in the 70s, Sister Barbara insisted she had learned Latin from Julius himself and she looked old enough to be credible. 

She followed that up by declaring that Barbara was a form of barbarian so we might want to ponder that relationship when contemplating whether to misbehave in her class.

(and speaking of misbehaving, my defective body is misbehaving today so, yeah, at least part of my brain is gonna really wander.)
(while the other part really wonders about the wandering section)

With respect to the hoisting arrangement, carrier-based Navy airplanes and seaplanes were designed with a hoist point or points near the empty center of gravity so they could readily be loaded and offloaded by crane (or pulled out of the water). Possibly this wasn't an Army requirement, hence the lash-up necessary to lift the P-40 by its wheels and a strap around the aft fuselage...