1:48 Academy F-14A Bombcat [12206]

I have a couple of these in the stash and having recently watched Top Gun I now feel then need... The need to

Expect the decals are rather uninspiring.

Nice enough and all that but.

If I wanted to arm it with the Paveway bombs (Im guessing the kit decals suit the JDAMS as well but thats why I got two of them)
What other Tomcat squadrons could I have it marked up as?

Dem Bones is always welcome because... Final countdown, but did they operate the Bombcat?
Is the VF-111 Sundowners possible? If so is there a commonly available sheet for that?
Or how about VF-2 Bounty Hunters?

Any help welcome as Im looking for inspiration as well. 🙂 

Just to clarify, there isn't such a thing as a "Bombcat". Any variant (A,B,D) could carry ordnance. By the end of the it's career, all airframes were wired to drop ordnance. 

In regards to what squadrons you can do, if you do out of box as an A, you can put VF-14, -41, -101,  -154, and -211 markings on it. If you get ahold of a set of Revell/Monogram GE F110 parts from their F-14D kit, you can do a B model from the Academy. In that case, you can do VF-11, -101,  -102, -103, and -143. I feel like I might be missing one, but I'm too lazy to double check. 😄

4 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

Just to clarify, there isn't such a thing as a "Bombcat". Any variant (A,B,D) could carry ordnance. By the end of the it's career, all airframes were wired to drop ordnance. 

In regards to what squadrons you can do, if you do out of box as an A, you can put VF-14, -41, -101,  -154, and -211 markings on it. If you get ahold of a set of Revell/Monogram GE F110 parts from their F-14D kit, you can do a B model from the Academy. In that case, you can do VF-11, -101,  -102, -103, and -143. I feel like I might be missing one, but I'm too lazy to double check. 😄

Yeah I got the bomb parts in the AMK F-14D too, I guess by the twilight of its years there wasnt much use for a jet that can only be a fighter, so they got relegated to mud mover.

I think TopGun would have been quite a different movie had it had widely advertised bombing capability back in '86.

Can it only carry the two bombs on the two forward Pheonix pallets?

When you say the GE F110 parts what exactly would be needed there?
I mean can some of the left over parts from an AMK F-14D be used? There isnt much in price between a Revell F-14D and the AMK F-14D.

Does adding the F110 parts make it an F-14B?

1 hour ago, ElectroSoldier said:

I guess by the twilight of its years there wasnt much use for a jet that can only be a fighter, so they got relegated to mud mover.

A mud mover that was the premier mud mover in the entire US military with a range far beyond any other air wing asset.

You may want to watch the excellent documentary Tomcat Tales which goes greatly into the development of the Tomcat Lantirn capability and combat experience and the huge capability it gave the fleet.

A capability so good it was paired with Hornets and Strike Eagles because its sensor capability was superior to what either of these air raft could bring to bear. 
Rather than a relegation it was a huge promotion in the capability it gave carrier air wings that they did not have before now that the threat it was designed for had withered on the vine.

https://www.amazon.com/Tomcat-Tales-Dale-Snodgrass/dp/B08G8611PN

Edited by dehowie
40 minutes ago, dehowie said:

A mud mover that was the premier mud mover in the entire US military with a range far beyond any other air wing asset.

You may want to watch the excellent documentary Tomcat Tales which goes greatly into the development of the Tomcat Lantirn capability and combat experience and the huge capability it gave the fleet.

A capability so good it was paired with Hornets and Strike Eagles because its sensor capability was superior to what either of these air raft could bring to bear. 
Rather than a relegation it was a huge promotion in the capability it gave carrier air wings that they did not have before now that the threat it was designed for had withered on the vine.

https://www.amazon.com/Tomcat-Tales-Dale-Snodgrass/dp/B08G8611PN

From what I read its sensor capabilities were not higher, it was overall lower as it did not have the navigation functions of the LANTIRN system it had the advantage over the F-15 in its LANTIRN pod display (PTIDS) had a higher resolution. So they had a clearly picture of what they were hitting. "thats all".

Not that thats not important, I mean being able to see what you are targeting is very important, but its hardly the massive advantage you make it out to be. And if it is it kind of makes you wonder what the F-15 pilots were doing wrong, rather than what the F-14 pilots were doing so much righter.

I thought the fleet had laser PGM capability in the A-6E TRAM?

Ill be completely honest Im not really looking to get into a fanboy argument about the F-14, its a good jet with a lot of overzealous fans. 

10 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

Its the name of the kit.

100163-10849-pristine.jpg

VF-154 is what comes in the kit. 

Would VF-103 be when they were the Sluggers or after then took on the VF-84 bones squadron colours?

If you want to fly the bones, VF-84 began doing testing and integration for air to ground ordnance in 1992 until they were disestablished in Oct '95.  I don't believe they dropped live rounds during their last cruise in '93 in support of Operations Provide Promise and Deny Flight over the Balkans and Southern Watch over Iraq, just TARPS.

https://www.history.navy.mil/content/dam/nhhc/research/histories/naval-aviation/Naval Aviation News/1990/pdf/so95.pdf

https://www.seaforces.org/usnair/VF/Fighter-Squadron-84.htm

Their mates in CVW-8, VF-41, carried and dropped live rounds on cruise in '95 over Iraq and the Balkans and again in '99.

I think Ill go with VF-41. 

Can anybody tell me a decal sheet that is on sale now that has an option for VF-41 that would be contemporary to it dropping a JDAM.

The A models were not wired to carry JDAMS.

Steve

Oh right.
Can they carry GBU-12 Paveway II bombs on the rear Pheonix pallets or just the front two

Yes, all Tomcat's could carry GBU-12 on all Weapon Rails stations (sta 3R, 4R, 5R and 6R).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To add to the Alpha squadrons that could carry bombs, all Alpha squadron after 95 could carry/employ bombs.

Also, the reason why the Tomcat got bombs was two fold; (1) Naval Aviation was changing and going to the strike fighter concept, the days of one mission specific aircraft was ending so the Tomcat had to adapt or fade away, it chose to adapt. (2) with the projected retirement of the A-6 the Navy needed a long range strike aircraft, the F-18 did not have the range to fit that role so the Tomcat stepped up and filled it.

The Tomcat started dropping bombs in 90 (west coast) and 91 on the east coast, VF-103 and VF-74 were dropping bombs in 91 during work-ups and on their 92 cruise.

The Tomcat always had the bombing avionics/wiring installed in the aircraft, if just needed a decent rack to make it a good bomber, that came with the BRU-32.

While the Tomcat was dropping bombs it did not lose it's fighter role, we use to consider ourselves big F (fighter) and little A (attack) while the F-18's were little F and big A. We always maintained our fighter training and role but since there was no air opposition we dropped bombs.

Only the F-14B and D could carry GBU-31(v)2's and only three squadrons were cleared for the GBU-38; VF-101, VF-31 and VF-213.

26 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

Only the F-14B and D could carry GBU-31(v)2's and only three squadrons were cleared for the GBU-38; VF-101, VF-31 and VF-213.

Did the B/D add the MIL-STD-1553 bus?  or was the capability added with another system?

Edited by habu2
1 hour ago, habu2 said:

Did the B/D add the MIL-STD-1553 bus?  or was the capability added with another system?

Not sure when the 1553 was added, I know the AIM-9's used the 1553 connection, this is a little out of my wheel house.

I know they had it when the aircraft were wired for 1760 weapons.

I forgot about 1760, it replaced/enhanced 1553 with packet info for smart (guided) munitions like GBU-xxx.  I don't think 1553 alone can handle smart bombs.  I worked on the avionics side of F-16s (and others...)

Edited by habu2
On 8/1/2022 at 6:49 PM, ElectroSoldier said:

From what I read its sensor capabilities were not higher, it was overall lower as it did not have the navigation functions of the LANTIRN system it had the advantage over the F-15 in its LANTIRN pod display (PTIDS) had a higher resolution. So they had a clearly picture of what they were hitting. "thats all".

Not that thats not important, I mean being able to see what you are targeting is very important, but its hardly the massive advantage you make it out to be. And if it is it kind of makes you wonder what the F-15 pilots were doing wrong, rather than what the F-14 pilots were doing so much righter.

Ill be completely honest Im not really looking to get into a fanboy argument about the F-14, its a good jet with a lot of overzealous fans. 

Here's a good overview of the LANTIRN integration into the F-14.  The F-14 LANTIRN Pod (AN/AAQ-25) had unique capabilities the USAF pod (AN/AAQ-14) lacked.

https://theaviationist.com/2020/12/26/how-the-f-14-tomcat-evolved-and-became-the-bombcat/

While a 10" high res screen might not seem like a big deal these days, the F-14s were preferred for CAS missions because of it.  When combined with the enhanced LANTIRN pod, it would seem it was the preferred platform in the early years of the war. 

https://theaviationist.com/2012/09/08/f14-vs-f15/

Also, the ROVER system was borrowed from UAVs and added to the F-14Ds very late.  This system allowed ground forces to view the IR video feed from the F-14D LANTIRN pod to assist with target identification.

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/f-14d-close-shows-last-upgrade-received-tomcat-retired/

18 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

I think Ill go with VF-41. 

Can anybody tell me a decal sheet that is on sale now that has an option for VF-41 that would be contemporary to it dropping a JDAM.

Fightertown Decals 48083 Tomcats at War Pt 1 

http://www.fightertowndecals.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=63

VF-41 and others. 
The A’s never got JDAM though. Only GBU series for guided bombs. 

Edited by Brian P: Fightertown Decals
More info

The main advantage of the LANTIRN equipped F-14s for close air support was a system called ROVER III, which allowed for a properly equipped FAC on the ground with the proper equipment to see what the Tomcat RIO could see in his PTIDS display. That helped with pinpoint targeting during Iraqi Freedom and after. The Air Force fast jets didn't have that capability, so the ground would direct targets to the F-14s, who in turn would direct the Air Force jets with their strike package as to what targets to focus on.

Ironically, the Air Force first utilized the system as ROVER I in Afghanistan during Enduring Freedom with the Predator drones. An Army soldier on the ground returned home on leave and drove to Wright Patterson to visit the BIG SAFARI office, which at the time was managing the armed Predator drone operations. He met with them at short notice and asked if there was any way to develop a set of of equipment that would allow him to see the Predator video feed in order to direct targets. They put together a package in the few weeks the soldier had left before he returned to his unit in combat. It was deployed operationally with great success. But it took NAVAIR to develop the system into something that could be used by a manned air attack asset. After the success during Iraqi Freedom, the Air Force leadership said they were going to pursue that system for use on the F-15E so they didn't have to farm out the Fast FAC and close air support duty to the Navy. 

Edited by Jay Chladek

Only VF-31 and VF-213's F-14D for their last cruise got the ROVER system, not all LANTRIN equipped Tomcats.

The advantage LANTRIN brought to the Tomcat was that it could self-lase targets and not be reliant on the Hornet's (or ground team) to do it for them.

On 8/2/2022 at 10:49 AM, ElectroSoldier said:

Like i said watch Tomcat Tales and you will see why the F-14 was paired with aircraft with similar sensor capabilities as the lead platform. 
Its not a fanboy thing its a fact thing.

If the F-14 wasnt the superior platform why would it be used to lead F-15E’s and Hornets?

The advantage in resolution in targeting was so significant that the US military both air force and navy chose the F-14 to lead large sugnificant military strikes against sensitive targets. 

If that isnt the facts your wanting to hear then maybe the words of the guys who lead the strikes on how important the increase in res was might let you know how important it was.

If you think if it “wasnt important” thats fine but obviously the USAF and Navy thought otherwise.

9 hours ago, dehowie said:

Like i said watch Tomcat Tales and you will see why the F-14 was paired with aircraft with similar sensor capabilities as the lead platform. 
Its not a fanboy thing its a fact thing.

If the F-14 wasnt the superior platform why would it be used to lead F-15E’s and Hornets?

The advantage in resolution in targeting was so significant that the US military both air force and navy chose the F-14 to lead large sugnificant military strikes against sensitive targets. 

If that isnt the facts your wanting to hear then maybe the words of the guys who lead the strikes on how important the increase in res was might let you know how important it was.

If you think if it “wasnt important” thats fine but obviously the USAF and Navy thought otherwise.

Yeah...
Ive never fallen foul of the F-14 fanboy community before now and I see why it got the reputation.

Having the system it had, ie a clear image of the target doesnt make it the superior platform. It does, in certain situations, give it an advantage over others, but it doesnt make it the superior platform.