Difference between WWII and modern Neutral Gray

Hello all. I'm going to be starting to build a 1/32 Tamiya F-16CJ soon, and going to be using Mr Paint on it. For the Neutral Gray, they only offer a "USAF WWII" Gray, with no FS number evident. Is there a difference between the Neutral gray used on say, a B-17 compared to what would be used on an F-16? 

Thanks for the help 

Aaron 

WWII Neutral Gray 43 was a dark gray although based on many photos, there was a good bit of variability. FS 36270 Neutral Gray is a lighter color than its WWII predecessor. Whether or not Mr Paint’s gray is more like the modern or historical, I cannot say. 

Could be, IIRC MM used to bottle what they called neutral gray as FS 36270. I see several others are calling FS 36270 Medium Gray. Assuming neutral gray is Tamiya’s color callout, that is XF-53 and is lighter than at least the official WWII 43 (Neutral Gray) color. I’m a WWII era modeler, no knowledge of modern color usage beyond what is usually marketed as Neutral Gray 43 is lighter than the actual WWII standard. 

If you're using MRP, you'd need neutral grey, FS36270 (MRP-039 "Haze Grey) and gunship grey, FS36118 (MRP-040).  I assume you're doing the 2-tone scheme.  Given the size, I'd buy 2 bottles of each.  It's very thin and will require quite a bit more than you anticipate, depending on the coverage level you're after.

On 8/3/2022 at 3:28 PM, lockheed2004 said:

If you're using MRP, you'd need neutral grey, FS36270 (MRP-039 "Haze Grey) and gunship grey, FS36118 (MRP-040).  I assume you're doing the 2-tone scheme.  Given the size, I'd buy 2 bottles of each.  It's very thin and will require quite a bit more than you anticipate, depending on the coverage level you're after.

Better make it three.  They’ve been having leakage problems with some of the colors.   Even with the seal tape Sprue Bros is using, had one show up that still leaked. 

A bit late to the party but Tamiya in their rattle can line AS-7 Neutral Gray looks perfect to my eye. If you did not notice that is in the color call outs, along with AS-6 Olive Drab, in their P-38F/G instructions. I used it and loved the results. just decant and spray through your favorite Airbrush.