They're everywhere, and I fell right into it. I was looking for an authentic decals sheet to finish a project. I got a message from a user, we'll call him Rod. He didn't have it, but his friend was selling it for a good price, "email him directly." I didn't think to check Rod's account, which was brand new.

I emailed his friend, he had it, we haggled and settled on $20. Asks to PayPal him friends and family, gives an account with a completely different name. In my excitement of finding the sheet to finish my project I dive right in. 2 weeks now, no response to messages, surprisingly Rod has not been back on the board either. 

Thankfully it was only $20. We get excited in finding good deals and blindly trust each other, but it's that 1% that ruins things.

Just be aware.

1 hour ago, Spook498 said:

Gah, that sucks. Sorry to hear it.

Offhand, which sheet are you looking for?

The authentic vfa-81 sunliners sheet. I just needed a set of lo vis fuel tank markings.

22 minutes ago, Scott Smith said:

They were hitting Hyperscale pretty hard.  Looks like they have moved on to other modeling websites now. Nothing FF unless you know the member from long-standing membership! 

Yep, lesson learned. Just dont want anyone else getting it. 

Guy who messaged me had me contact his friend, Corey Freeman (sounded legit).  Corey informed me half a day later, yes, he had the kit I was after and at a price that was in line with what I was expecting.  Corey's downfall was wanting me to use F&F to PayPal his "son", using the email maryngorongoro@yahoo.com.  Nice try there, Ace...

Sorry to hear someone has taken your money.  I never use friends and family when paying with Paypal.  On a separate forum someone with a low message count was selling some hard to find kits at decent prices but wanted Paypal friends and family payment.  I paid with Paypal and paid an extra 5% to cover fees.  In my case, the seller turned out to be legit and I had no problems.  It's possible to have honest folks out there but I've learned it's best to keep 'friends & family' out of business.

The new member, “I don’t have it, I have a friend who does, contact them directly”, is almost always a scam, and not only in modeling forums. The same scam is prevalent in other types of forum.  They usually give a phone number or the “friend” has a gmail address.  Ask for proof that they have it, a picture of the item, with something that shows the seller’s name and date.  Even that’s not a sure thing, because scammers usually grab a photo off the internet, and then, usually badly, photoshop a piece of paper with their name and date.

Encountered the same crew at HyperScale replying to my post.  Same set up, contact the "Friend" that has the items.  It smelled sketchy from the start and when I checked the IP address it was showing up being located in Central Africa.  Nope, Nope, Nope! 

“Rod” PM’d me yesterday with the same situation for a kit I was looking for. Email the guy directly, was sure he still had the kit. I just deleted it, someone got me on Hyperscale the same way using the name of a regular Hyperscaler. 

Hmmmm..ya don't say. Does this look familiar?:

Thanks Freeman

“Behold, God is my salvation, I will trust and will not be afraid for the LORD GOD is my strength and my song and he has become my salvation... ”-Isaiah 12:2
6 minutes ago, 82Whitey51 said:
Hmmmm..ya don't say. Does this look familiar?:

Thanks Freeman

“Behold, God is my salvation, I will trust and will not be afraid for the LORD GOD is my strength and my song and he has become my salvation... ”-Isaiah 12:2

Yes!  The Bible verse was the cherry on top.

22 hours ago, lockheed2004 said:

Guy who messaged me had me contact his friend, Corey Freeman (sounded legit).  Corey informed me half a day later, yes, he had the kit I was after and at a price that was in line with what I was expecting.  Corey's downfall was wanting me to use F&F to PayPal his "son", using the email maryngorongoro@yahoo.com.  Nice try there, Ace...

Got the same F&*CKER trying to scam me too:

"Here's my son's PP and it's not a verified one, He can only receive money from friends and family and that's why I've wanted you to send it that way so as to avoid any delay or money being hold which can actually affect my own work schedule. maryngorongoro@yahoo.com"

"Here’s my Venmo tag 

Venmo tag - @davveon-lowe

Last 4 of phone number - 2946"

"I won’t be able to cash a money order at the moment due to some reasons but I can have my wife cash it for me.. "

By now, things didn't feel right at all, and I had just logged back on to ARC to check for any info on scammers...whadd'a ya know...

This is the information he gave me to do the Money Order option after PayPal and Venmo failed (thank god.)

"14840 State route B #25
City: Saint James 
State: Missouri 
Zip: 65559

Karen Musson"

22 hours ago, lockheed2004 said:

Got the same F&*CKER trying to scam me too:

"Here's my son's PP and it's not a verified one, He can only receive money from friends and family and that's why I've wanted you to send it that way so as to avoid any delay or money being hold which can actually affect my own work schedule. maryngorongoro@yahoo.com"

"Here’s my Venmo tag 

Venmo tag - @davveon-lowe

Last 4 of phone number - 2946"

"I won’t be able to cash a money order at the moment due to some reasons but I can have my wife cash it for me.. "

By now, things didn't feel right at all, and I had just logged back on to ARC to check for any info on scammers...whadd'a ya know...

This is the information he gave me to do the Money Order option after PayPal and Venmo failed (thank god.)

"14840 State route B #25
City: Saint James 
State: Missouri 
Zip: 65559

Karen Musson"

35 minutes ago, 82Whitey51 said:

They guy who messaged me about his "friend" having the item used this user name:

Jegele91746

He joined Wednesday.

I just got message:

The only guy I know that might have one, or know where one is freeman. Dayvee I haven't seen him on here for a long time. He also didn't return my last couple of phone calls. (I don't think I ever did anything to get on his shoot list.) Here's his email freeman_corey@aol.com

Phantom was trying to ban the guy, but he hadn’t posted content yet so he wasn’t having much luck.  The message sender probably hasn’t seen Freeman on here for a while, because he never was on here… or maybe he’s not having luck getting ahold of him in Nigeria 😂😂😂

7 hours ago, jbryan911 said:

He hit me up too. Rodd with two D'ds.

"The last time I purchased parts from Mr Jonathan He mentioned he had a Decals 1/48 A-1H "Proud American" for sale. Hit him up jonathancrandell817@gm..."

Those are the same group that got me for $20. Then the paypal was for some other named person. I should’ve known  better, but it was only hit I got for that decal sheet. Grr!

Edited by longmc
I had a stroke typing