Another F-8 Crusader question

G'day people.

What colour was the underside of the variable incidence wing  and the fuselage bay immediately below it painted please?

I am finding it a little hard to find pics of these areas. I am guessing either Z.C Green or gloss white?

cheers,

Pappy

G'day again and thanks for all the replies. The consensus seems to be for a white fuselage bay but the wing underdside not so much. I actually found some pics in a response by the late 'Superheat' which clearly show a white fuselage bay.

The red front wing section is typical, although some units used this as an  oppoprtunity to apply some squadron art and painted it in different colours but the uinderside in red I did not see. I am not doubting it but it seems white was more typical?

cheers,

Pappy

57 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

Consider that the Navy painted areas with hydraulics white to more easily show leaks,

and pinch (as well as head knocker) points red to more easily hide bloodstains.

fixed...  🙂

Edited by habu2

Unless it was repainted for some reason at the squadron level, the underside of the wing that was located above the fuselage was white (the Vought paint and markings instruction that you can't read states: "gloss insignia white interior surface of wing well & lower surfaces of wing")

1346406687_F8UWingUndersideMarkings.jpg.7f81b5d3d6b5027414bbdafe5c6a48f8.jpg

F8U Wing Underside 8of.jpg

Edited by Tailspin Turtle
add quote from unreadable markings illustration