Why has no company every made the control surfaces for an A-10A/C ?

I know the Monogram and Ecsi kits have positionable controls up to a point, but the Esci kit is better best forgotten now and the Monogram kit isnt far behind with its raised panel lines, inspite of its accuracy in other areas.

So it falls to something like the Italeri kit, which is another kind of bad, but at least it has recessed panel lines.

Tamiya itsnt far behind, or in front of the others, but they are all we have, and one way or another you can use one.

So why given the amount of kits and interest has no after market ever been produced for the control surfaces?

I've had both the Tamiya and Hobby Boss A-10 kits, and totally abhorred the blunt nose shape in them. The old Monogram kit might not have recessed panel lines, but at least to me (an inveterate noob with no experience at all), it best captures the shape of the nose.

My husband went to town with that kit. He cheated away by grafting the dropped flaps in the A-10 N/AW kit onto the good-old Monogram one, and they fitted like a glove. Then he also added the Black Box cockpit and decelerons + nacelle/engine front set in the Sierra Hotel Models, and repaneled the whole deal. He also invested in the Speed Hunter Graphics War-Weary Warthogs decal sheet.

It looks a helluva lot more like an A-10 than either the Tamiya or Hobby Boss kits. 

Hi Brad,

My husband has sort of had it with the A-10 by now - I don't know why. I don't know about Academy, but I'd certainly love to see what GWH are able to do about a new-ool 1/48 Warthog kit. Always fancy to fly it on DCS in spite of the vast array of new aircraft there's to choose from today.

Cheers,

Gwen 

Yes Gwen,  Academy is doing one along with GWH, should be interesting to is interesting to compare.  I read GWH was  boasting new tooling technology, resulting in more realistic surface finishe. Looking forward to it.

4 hours ago, seawinder said:

... which makes the first sentence of your OP a bit questionable?

No it proves you have misunderstood what Im asking for.

I mentioned those kits I did for a reason. I didnt mention the HB kit nor the up coming Academy kit either for a reason.

I would like to be able to build those kits I mentioned and get the after market parts and Im wondering why nobody has ever done any.

On 8/5/2022 at 2:16 PM, ElectroSoldier said:

Why has no company every made the control surfaces for an A-10A/C ?

I know the Monogram and Ecsi kits have positionable controls up to a point, but the Esci kit is better best forgotten now and the Monogram kit isnt far behind with its raised panel lines, inspite of its accuracy in other areas.

So it falls to something like the Italeri kit, which is another kind of bad, but at least it has recessed panel lines.

Tamiya itsnt far behind, or in front of the others, but they are all we have, and one way or another you can use one.

So why given the amount of kits and interest has no after market ever been produced for the control surfaces?

If something wasn't made in aftermarket at some point for the Monogram A-10 the simplest explanation is no one ever felt there was a demand. Just about anything anyone would expect was made for it at some point. I have decelerons, intakes/fans, LASTE update, decals, cockpit and Sidewinder DRA in the stash for it. 

It's still not very obvious what you are looking for. You say control surfaces and I think of of the primary controls surfaces like elevators, rudder, and ailerons (decelerons on the A-10). At the time the Monogram kit was released aftermarket was rare, it was common practice to cut out the controls and move them if you wanted to change their positions, no one really made control surface sets for kits. The Monogram kit does not really have positionable controls, it's designed to be built with the decelerons open or cut them up to fit them closed, everything else is molded fixed. I have a closed deceleron set from Sierra Hotel and there were others. Try using Scalemates or Google.

The problem with aftermarket specifically for the Monogram kit is most sets were discontinued as newer kits were released and became the preferred option. Or, the makers went out of business over the decades since the Monogram kit was released. It can use a new cockpit. The kit cockpit is fine for it's era, but it's weird that the seat base is molded into the cockpit tub.  Really the only thing genuinely missing from the Monogram A-10 is the Sidewinder Dual Rail Adapter, add that and you are set for Desert Storm out of the box.

6 hours ago, Crash Test Dummy said:

If something wasn't made in aftermarket at some point for the Monogram A-10 the simplest explanation is no one ever felt there was a demand. Just about anything anyone would expect was made for it at some point. I have decelerons, intakes/fans, LASTE update, decals, cockpit and Sidewinder DRA in the stash for it. 

It's still not very obvious what you are looking for. You say control surfaces and I think of of the primary controls surfaces like elevators, rudder, and ailerons (decelerons on the A-10). At the time the Monogram kit was released aftermarket was rare, it was common practice to cut out the controls and move them if you wanted to change their positions, no one really made control surface sets for kits. The Monogram kit does not really have positionable controls, it's designed to be built with the decelerons open or cut them up to fit them closed, everything else is molded fixed. I have a closed deceleron set from Sierra Hotel and there were others. Try using Scalemates or Google.

The problem with aftermarket specifically for the Monogram kit is most sets were discontinued as newer kits were released and became the preferred option. Or, the makers went out of business over the decades since the Monogram kit was released. It can use a new cockpit. The kit cockpit is fine for it's era, but it's weird that the seat base is molded into the cockpit tub.  Really the only thing genuinely missing from the Monogram A-10 is the Sidewinder Dual Rail Adapter, add that and you are set for Desert Storm out of the box.

I have a similar story to tell in that I too have many after market updates for the Monogram kit, The gun and ammo loader cart, wheel wells, avionics bays, cockpit, leading edges, refueling panel, engine intakes,  and the little flip up tail. The only thing that isnt represented is all the control surfaces.

Of course it is possible to just chop off what you have and set them into another position but I just found it odd given all the other things you can get for it that there were no control surfaces.