Just throwing this out there… I’m using Solidworks to design an airplane model for 3d printing. My biggest problem is engraved panel lines. I recently learned a procedure for making them, but it is cumbersome and laborious. You’d think this would be an obvious, intuitive operation in 3d modeling, but nooooo. Believe me, I’ve searched.

Do you use 3d CAD, and if so, how do you make your panel lines? I realize you might not want to divulge your secrets, but here’s hoping!

I just took the plunge and ordered a printer yesterday (the kids want one to "learn", so that's ok, but when dad wants one because it's cool tech, then noooooo....🙂) - do you mind sharing what dimensions you model to successfully print a panel line?

I know there will be plenty of iteration, especially because I ordered an FDM printer, but I don't even know where to start 🙂

Hey Nate, a friend of mine recommends 0.15mm deep/wide, a square cut basically. But my printer hasn’t arrived so I can’t verify that! And, that’s for a high-res SLA printer. With FDM you will need more post processing (i.e. filling and sanding) so you’ll just have to experiment… as will I.

3d printing is a Black Art, it’s easy to summon the demons accidentally… Fortunately there are (probably literally) millions of YT videos on the subject. Many of them, heck most of them, center on gaming figurines, but still plenty of info about the process, for every make and model of printer. Too much really, except when it comes to something scale-modely like “panel lines.” Try Uncle Jesse and VOG. There are other good channels, but those will get you started.

My Elegoo Saturn 2 should be here within a few weeks. I’ll report back when I’ve dialed things in, so maybe by Christmas?  🙂