Long gone Jenny kit returns.

Atlantis is not the only firm using the old Aurora molds.
Glencoe, another smaller firm, has been reissuing old Lindbergh, ITC, Lincoln, Hawk and Aurora kits (and perhaps others) for the last 30 years or so. They have a very esoteric line up....armour, aircraft, space, figures, ships.

They have done some of the old Aurora 1/48 scale WWI series...The Albatros, Nieuport and SPAD, and though not WWI, certainly in the ballpark...the Martin MB-2.

Now they have reissued the Aurora JN-4 "Jenny".
This comes on the heels of the Atlantis reissue of the ex-Lindbergh Jenny in the same scale.
It comes with several alternate decal options.
It would be interesting to compare the kits.

Below is a page from the Glencoe website. 
They are mistaken, the kit was released twice; first in 1956, the second time was in 1960 as part of a "Barnstorming" set. (According to the "Scalemates" kit history page).

Attachments:

Screenshot_2022-08-06-20-11-57_kindlephoto-44456660.png

Edited by JohnEB
Add photo

Cheap too, I saw one retailer offering it for only $17. I wonder if it provides the basis for a reasonable scale model or if it's highest and best use is as a nostalgia build. I'm surprised that a newer tooled kit has never been released. I have a Lindberg kit and the LSM decal sheet and upgrade set, but it is still going to take a lot of time and effort to turn out something that compares favorably with a model built from a modern kit. 

A late friend, an early collector and restorer of antique aircraft had an airworthy example for 60+ years and only sold it shortly before his death.

So take it from me...there isn't much detail to do in that scale other than add longerons in the cockpit, thin the trailing edges, detail the engine and do some rigging (though IMHO, rigging any model scale less than 1/32 is a waste. See photo below, they are barely noticeable on a real aircraft. The wires are flat and about 1/3" or 1/2"  wide. So what's 1/48 of a 1/2" ? I don't have thread that fine!  🙂).

In reading posted  reviews of other Glencoe kits which had their origins in Aurora kits, the firm does a nice job improving them....at least removing the decal placement lines.

At that price, buy one, it might be better than the Lindbergh kit.

If nothing else, given this one's limited release history, the mo!d's might be in better shape.

Kit trivia...Atlantis in their re-release of the Lindbergh kit has included "barnstormer" decals from the second release of this (then Aurora) kit. So if one has the urge to make the Aurora kit with Aurora designed decals, you can.

Here's a photo of his plane along with my car.

Apologies about the photo..pre-digital and taken in bad light.

Screenshot_2022-04-12-20-57-32_kindlephoto-47055487.png

Edited by JohnEB