B-wing Starfighter

Hello,

Sorry I've been away so long.  Been super busy with work, family, other hobbies (old cameras restorations) and life in general. I was out of the country for a while as well. 
This is so out of the box you need a telescope to see the box. 
I am a big Star Wars fan ever since I saw the first movie in 1978 as a kid.  Huge fan is an understatement.  It is funny as I don't like sci-fi much. I don't even like movies.  Haven't been to a movie theater in about 3 years (since Star Wars Episode 9).
Anyways, as an engineer,  2 of the things I like the most are ships (vehicles in general)  and droids.  However, for some reason I haven't build that many Star Wars models. Only 2 in all these years.  A recent trip to the Star Wars Disney park rekindled my life long interest.

So back home, I started checking the current plastic model offerings.  Vintage kits are ridiculous in prices. Currently, Bandai is offering the most variety of plastic models of the series.  But while browsing eBay, I came across this:

2v2a8tJ58xJ21ND.jpg

2v2a8tJNqxJ21ND.jpg

A prebuilt and broken old MPC B-Wing Starfighter.  I had to rescue it.  This model dates back from the early 80's. 

This will give you an idea on the size.

2v2a8tJyjxJ21ND.jpg

The canopy is missing and all cannons are broken.  It seems it was put together in a hurry, maybe by a kid to play with. Nothing wrong with that.
2v2a8tJjdxJ21ND.jpg

2v2a8tJ8yxJ21ND.jpg

2v2a8tJM5xJ21ND.jpg

2v2a8tJzNxJ21ND.jpg

Fortunately, it is a snap together kit and no glue was used.  While quite a challenge, I was able to get it apart.
2v2a8tE2jxJ21ND.jpg

Typical soft styrene from the '80s that made me eventually hate AMT. 

Let's say the fit has some challenges...

2v2a8tEorxJ21ND.jpg

This will be tackled in several phases. 
First: The cockpit.  The unique cockpit of this ship rotates 360 degrees so the pilot can stay properly oriented. But that means it needs to be assembled and installed before the 2 main body halves are joined. No way to address mold lines that way.  I'll re-engineer the kit.
2v2a8tE38xJ21ND.jpg

Rusty Trusty is back!!!!
2v2a8tEvMxJ21ND.jpg

This was started over a week ago, so I'll get up to speed in this thread within a few posts.

Stay tuned!

Thanks,

Ismael

Hello,

So I'm doing my own canopy.  This has proven to be quite a challenge at this scale.  This is design/attempt # 5 or 6.  Quite possibly not the final one.  The tape strips are for visibility as these clear parts are INVISIBLE when dropped or when they decide to fly across the bench.
2v2a8TmAUxJ21ND.jpg

2v2a8TmmzxJ21ND.jpg

The wire is part of the canopy support.  I'll make something out of it like a heads up display or something to disguise it.
2v2a8TmS2xJ21ND.jpg

The rear section was glued and reworked the seams.  The raised details were sanded down and I re-scribed them as recessed panel lines. 
2v2a8Tm7oxJ21ND.jpg

To disguise a very ugly seam in the back, I made up this added details.
2v2a8TmR2xJ21ND.jpg

2v2a8TmkUxJ21ND.jpg

The cockpit front and rear parts were separated to be worked independently. Afterwards they can be joined back together.
2v2a8Tm68xJ21ND.jpg

2v2a8TmtMxJ21ND.jpg

Why?  So the main fuselage can be glued together and the seams worked WITHOUT the cockpit, and have it installed afterwards.
2v2a8Tmi9xJ21ND.jpg

2v2a8Tm4MxJ21ND.jpg

And I am only halfway on step 1, of a simple snap tite kit  😀
2v2a8Tmq2xJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,

Ismael

Hello,

Can you tell the difference between the box stock and my own brass and aluminum Precision Targeting Laser?  It is about 10mm long. The challenge now is to do 2 more identical ones.

2v2a8CSE5xJ21ND.jpg

2v2a8CSZ8xJ21ND.jpg

Also modified the GH72 Autoblaster 
2v2a8CSbzxJ21ND.jpg

Next: SW-7A Ion Cannons...

Thanks,

Ismael

Hello,

SW7A Cannons with their respective Precision Targeting Lasers.  (Not yet fixed in place so not perfectly aligned yet) Don't let the beauty fool you. This is a lethal weapons platform.

2v2a8yh2FxJ21ND.jpg

Need to remove the molded ones from the other wing. I think you can tell the difference, can you?
2v2a8yhoqxJ21ND.jpg

Canopy design #9, modified autoblaster
2v2a8yh3dxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,

Ismael

Hello,

This part goes at the bottom of the ship. It is supposed to represent another cannon like that ones on the wings and the broken part was supposed to be a Heavy Cannon which is actually longer than the regular one. It is also missing the Precision Targeting Laser.
2v2a8rNy2xJ21ND.jpg

2v2a8rNrrxJ21ND.jpg

2v2a88khWxJ21ND.jpg

This is getting serious! This sucker is carrying quite a heavy punch!
2v2a88kjdxJ21ND.jpg

They are out of alignment as these are not fixed in position yet. They'll be straight in the final product.

Thanks,

Ismael

Hello,

Kit's original design vs my way. The kit calls for the wings to be assembled into the swing axle. That is a problem to work seams and make sure the wings are smooth. So I re-engineered the kit to finish the wings first, then mount on the swing axle.

First, the front plate needs to be removed

2v2aM26uyxJ21ND.jpg

Kit's original instructions:
2v2aM2fJjxJ21ND.gif

My re-design:
2v2aM2fZ2xJ21ND.gif

Thanks,
Ismael

I remember building the AMT Ertl release of this kit, (not sure if MPC and AMT Ertl are one and the same) but looking at the photos pre disasembly brought back memories of how much of a dog this kit was with the part fit especially around the cockpit and S foils.  Im sadly out of the game of modelling due to getting older and sadly losing interest in the hobby due to partying etc as teenagers do lol. but by god this kit was horrible. i wish i had the skills back then to scratch build parts and addressing the flaws with the kit itself. 

looking forward to seeing the finished result..:)

Hello,

Thank you warhawk121!

This model has no "landing gear".  Let's not forget this is an MPC snap tite model from 1983 designed to be assembled quickly to play with.  So, taking a bit of an artistic license and inspired by the X-wing landing gear, I came up with this:
2v2aMej3jxJ21ND.jpg

You are looking at 2 days of work here.  Aluminum, brass, plastic and lots of determination.

Test fitted: Minor tweaking still needed but getting there.
2v2aMejovxJ21ND.jpg

Just to put it in perspective:
2v2aMejUMxJ21ND.jpg
I have to say I'm happy with it so far.

I then machined these 2 washer like thingies for a precision tight fit and pinned the front plate.
2v2aMejuoxJ21ND.jpg

But wait, there's more!

If you are going to be a blaster, be a BLASTER!

2v2aM269oxJ21ND.jpg

2v2aM26UzxJ21ND.jpg

I think I am getting closer to paint and assembly.

Thanks,

Ismael

Hello,

First burst of color!
2v2aMwGPCxJ21ND.jpg

2v2aMwGRFxJ21ND.jpg

Two days of masking for 10 minutes of airbrushing. The flat white base is actually primer that was slightly sanded. The gray is Humbrol enamel. Love those little tin cans! The roundels are Corvette (Chevrolet) engine red. There has to be a Corvette reference somewhere!
The roundels are not decals. I cut my own in Tamiya wide masking tape.
I insist the scheme looks like a japanese zero from WWII, but that's what the references indicate.

Started the weathering. You can see the untouched body compared to the wings in process.

2v2aMY7m9xJ21ND.jpg

2v2aMY7SJxJ21ND.jpg

In process, but you get the idea.
2v2aMY7hHxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,

Ismael

Hello,

I understand this topic is not the cup of tea of the forum but I hope you can at least pickup some ideas or get your curiosity going.

Now, each one of these is lethal.  But all four in a vehicle?  That's carrying a punch!
2v2aMDsfjxJ21ND.jpg

2v2aMDswUxJ21ND.jpg

2v2aMDsA8xJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,

Ismael

Hello,

Getting closer to the finish.
2v2azoduzxJ21ND.jpg

Lots of fun hand painting this guy:
2v2azod9MxJ21ND.jpg

Added an escape T handle, canopy rails, targeting computer, 2 control sticks, a display screen, cabin lights...
2v2azodQ8xJ21ND.jpg

2v2azodeUxJ21ND.jpg

2v2azodE2xJ21ND.jpg

Painted and detailed the blaster guns
2v2azodbMxJ21ND.jpg

2v2azodavxJ21ND.jpg

An idea on size:
2v2azodH3xJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,
Ismael

Hello,

This one is FINISHED! 
Honestly, there was really not much interest in this subject in any of the forums I posted it in so I skipped the last few updates.  The canopy was a whole project in itself.  The cockpit rotates gyroscopically to maintain orientation regardless of the position of the ship (which makes little sense in space as there is no up or down...)

Here is the snap toy from 1983.
2v2azHYP9xJ21ND.jpg

2v2azQPd3xJ21ND.jpg

2v2azQP5UxJ21ND.jpg

2v2azQPMoxJ21ND.jpg

2v2azQPN9xJ21ND.jpg

2v2azQPjMxJ21ND.jpg

2v2azQPz2xJ21ND.jpg

Took it out for a spin.
"Locked S-Foils in Attack Position"
2v2azQPGMxJ21ND.jpg

2v2azQPnzxJ21ND.jpg

Pew! Pew! Pew! Pew! Pew!   KABOOM!
2v2azQko3xJ21ND.jpg

Hope you like it.

Thanks,
Ismael

Really good restoration project! I too remember building this kit as a kid. Didn'y know any better, but seeing how bad the fit it is, I'm surprised mine stayed together. 
Thanks for sharing your adventure!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...