1/32 Trumpeter F-35C

I had heard that it was recently released, but was surprised that it showed up over here so fast.  Haven’t seen any build reviews yet, probably a bit too new.

Some sprue shots in this thread.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235109692-132-lockheed-martin-f-35c-lightning-ii-by-trumpeter-released/

Instructions here.

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/9/5/2/1404952-42-instructions.pdf

• 1 month later...

Just picked up the Trump F-35C and very impressed with the very restrained surface detail.

Upper RAM panels are very nicely done and to my eye the finest ive seen first hand in 48th or 32nd including the new Tamiya F-35.

Surprised this kit hasnt received more attention as on initial looks after buying it appears very very nice.

10 hours ago, dehowie said:

Just picked up the Trump F-35C and very impressed with the very restrained surface detail.

Upper RAM panels are very nicely done and to my eye the finest ive seen first hand in 48th or 32nd including the new Tamiya F-35.

Surprised this kit hasnt received more attention as on initial looks after buying it appears very very nice.

I’ve had the kit for a while now, and my first impression of the ram panels is that they are still overscale, about the same as on the Italeri F-35A.  I do think the cockpit and seat are nicer than the Italeri kit.  I’d imagine that a lot of the kit not being popular is due to the F-35C not being very popular.  People most want the A because it’s used by a number of users, or the B because to looks cool with the raised lift fan door and swiveled down exhaust (although they are almost never actually parked that way), but the C has limited users, and is just basically an A with slightly longer folding wings.

My impressions from this thread at LSP.  https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/94216-trumpeter-f-35c-at-sprue-brothers/

Got the kit today.  No real surprises as the instructions have been posted, plus the sprue shots are available on the web.  Surface detail seems nice, although the raised RAM panels are overdone like almost every F-35 or F-22 kit out there, regardless of the scale.  At first glance, the weapons don’t seem too bad, other than the AIM-9X not having any representation of an exhaust, and the thrust vector vanes are completely missing.  The kit also includes parts for the external gun pod, which are strangely marked “not for use”, although the pod itself is just a featureless shape.  I’m curious once the parts go together if there is an issue with the extended positioning of the AIM-120s in the weapon bay.  The assembly drawings suggest that the nose of the missile extends forward past the front edge of the bay and inner bay door.  From the few pictures of AIM-120s on F-35Cs that I’ve seen, I don’t think that’s right and don’t think the missile extends forward as it deploys.  Bays themselves look OK, and seem somewhat busy with detail, being made of multiple parts (sides, roof) instead of basically one piece like Italeri, although the wiring detail seems a little faint for the scale.  The exhaust looks OK from the outside, and looks big enough, unlike the undersized Italeri exhaust, but the inside is just smooth featureless petals.  There also appears to be a slight sink mark ring inside the exhaust.  One big disappointment is that there is no detail whatsoever in the afterburner tube between the flame ring and the exhaust nozzle.  It isn’t clear why Trumpeter couldn’t put something to represent the interior lining.  Trumpeter did detail the exterior of the engine, but since there isn’t any provision for displaying the engine out of the plane, or any open fuselage panels, it’s completely wasted unless the modeler does their own surgery.  To be fair, Italeri did some of the same stuff on their engine.  The wings (out to the fold line) are molded as part of the upper and lower fuselage halves, so there’s no wing to fuselage joint to deal with like on the Italeri kit.  The intake tunnels are refreshingly ejection pin mark free and the rubber tires look nice, not greasy vinyl and free of mold lines or flash.  Absent any bad building surprise or gross accuracy issue, it seems like a decent kit, overall on par with the Italeri A model.

I dont know, that first photo of the triangle area the ridge looks quite pronounced to me while the top edge makes it look like its not there at all.

I would be surprised if Tamiya get it wrong. In fact knowing how they work I would say its far more likely that the opinion here is wrong. Especailly looking at the right side of the triangle shape in the first photo.

11 hours ago, habu2 said:

Why does everyone think it is "tape" ?

Looking at that picture, which is the first time Ive seen it in such "close up" detail Im not really sure.
It clearly isnt "a tape" in the traditional sense at least. Its not like its akin or equal to say for instance 3M masking tape, which is what I assumed it was like going by the conversation on here and other modelling web sites, videos etc.

That is why I asked what its really like, how proud of the surface it really is because I think it is far more likely for peoples opinions to be wrong than for Tamiya to get it wrong. especially as they must have had access to the original.

And yes I realise we are talking at cross purposes in the this thread is about the Trumpeter kit and I sight the Tamiya kit however the age old gripe of modellers and it being wrong in their opinion always seems to be the same way regardless.

Edited by ElectroSoldier

To be honest, it doesn’t really matter what people call it.  Whether it’s RAM panels, RAM tape, putty or whatever, nearly everyone understands what we’re talking about when referring to a model kit.  Regardless of the technically accurate term, what people care about in these discussions is whether the feature is raised too high on the kit surface.

I just checked the height of the 1/48 Meng A and Kitty Hawk C kits and they measure about .004 and .005 respectively (depending on where I measured).  That would make the RAM height 1" on the Meng and 1 1/4" on the KH.  Visually, it seems to confirm that those models are much higher than the real aircraft.  Hopefully, as mentioned, the new Trumpeter kit is closer to the real thing.  Unfortunately, I'm slowly reducing my 1/32 kits since I don't have the display space so I won't be getting it. 

Just to readjust my view on the RAM on the Trump F-35C. Looking under better light now i have the kit rather than through plastic it does look a little to pronounced in line with what Dave said. One thing in the Trump kits favor is i think the plates look pronounced is the are molded extremely sharply with seemingly vertical edges. Using a magnifier the sharp edges are part of the reason they look a little to proud. Id suggest a very light sand to take the sharpness off the edges will give a very reasonable impression of RAM. The kit is very very well tooled and extremely sharp and i think its worked against Trump in this case with the edges. 

On 10/16/2022 at 1:31 AM, habu2 said:

Why does everyone think it is "tape" ?

Some of it is literal L.O. tape, the thicker edges are thick rubber boot material. and some of it is paste. No where is it called RAM.

On 10/16/2022 at 3:44 PM, fasteagle12 said:

I just checked the height of the 1/48 Meng A and Kitty Hawk C kits and they measure about .004 and .005 respectively (depending on where I measured).  That would make the RAM height 1" on the Meng and 1 1/4" on the KH.  

Sorry, but your measurements are way off.

One inch in 1/48 scale is .021 actual

.004 actual is roughly 3/16th of an inch in 48th scale