1/32 Trumpeter F-35C

On 10/16/2022 at 9:44 AM, fasteagle12 said:

I just checked the height of the 1/48 Meng A and Kitty Hawk C kits and they measure about .004 and .005 respectively (depending on where I measured).  That would make the RAM height 1" on the Meng and 1 1/4" on the KH.  Visually, it seems to confirm that those models are much higher than the real aircraft.  Hopefully, as mentioned, the new Trumpeter kit is closer to the real thing.  Unfortunately, I'm slowly reducing my 1/32 kits since I don't have the display space so I won't be getting it. 

I’m not sure I follow the math. A RAM thickness of .004 to .005 inches on a 1/48 scale model translates to .19 to .24 inches - still too thick perhaps, but not so bad as you indicate.

Edit…the issue was already addressed and resolved yesterday.

Edited by RichB63
2 minutes ago, RichB63 said:

I’m not sure I follow the math. A RAM thickness of .004 to .005 inches on a 1/48 scale model translates to .19 to .24 inches - still too thick perhaps, but not so bad as you indicate.

Yes, I responded yesterday and admitted my error and agree with your calculation. 

• 3 months later...
On 10/25/2022 at 10:41 PM, Bsin said:

I'm so confused! LOL 

Let me unconfuse you, and others here.

I currently work for Lockheed Martin on the F-35 directly, in the Hanger here at NAS PAX River.  I work on the jet daily, and I was just out in the hanger talking to the FTCE's (Flight Test Control Engineers) asking them about this very topic.  I will tell you what I can.  

First off, I have the Trumpeter kit which just came in and it has MANY inaccuracies.  The prime example is the raised LOMM areas (that zig zag pattern) all over the bird.  There are NO raised areas like that anywhere!  To do so would first off give off a return, and it is very draggy....  The bird is completely smooth.   

Second:  That zig zag material IS called L.O.M.  (Low Observable Matt) and L.O.T. (Low Observable Tape).  The tape goes over the rivets and the matting goes; well you see where it goes.  The difference in coloring is because of the finish of the material in the area it is being applied to.   We have the very first jets off the line all the way up to several brand new jets right off the Ft. Worth factory floor.  I personally induct the jets when they get here.  So I personally inspect them when they land.   "Sniff, Sniff"  AAhhhh!!!!  There is NOTHING like that "New Jet Smell!  They ought to make it a choice at the car wash!  Point being I have not seen any great differences in shading in LOMM.

C:  The kit has the RADAR reflectors.  Only put those on if you are modeling a bird in CONUS.  We have them here because our jets are Flight Test, and we have to be visible to civilian RADAR's for obvious reasons.  

Fourth:  I want to address "Top Gun: Maverick":  Every single pilot that flies here is a Top Gun and Test Pilot graduate.   Every one.  When the movie came out, the command got us a private, advanced screening here on base, and the entire command went.  I've talked to our Skipper, and other pilots here about the movie, and to a person they all loved it.  As a work of fiction.  It bore NO SEMBLENCE TO REALITY...  But then they would not have had a movie if Tom Cruise had just snuck in, dropped his bombs and scooted out.  That GPS excuse is insulting and gives the wrong impression of our jet.   But you wouldn't have had much of a movie now, would you?

Lastly, I want to defend my jet.  In the years leading up before I got here I was very much against the F-35 and the massive amounts of money being thrown at it.   However, now that I am in the program, and know it's capabilities, I am well won over.  If you take it's unit cost, let's average it out at 110 million dollars, well a new F-18E or F is over 80 mil.  40% more for a stealth jet that has much better survivability.  I will not address the accident last month in Ft. Worth as I do not know the facts there. But this jet is now being bought by 15 countries and more coming on board all the time.  This will make our jets even cheaper for us in the longs run.  

If I can answer your questions, I will.  But if I do not, please understand.

P.S.  I tried to upload some of my pics but keep getting a -200 error.  They are sized correctly.

Thanks for the post mclair!  Great info and it settles my question if I should sand off all that silly raised detail on the models.  Always thought it was way “out of scale” for tape. 
I do have a question if you can answer it.  Just how top secrets are the cockpit details? I’m curious if Quinta is ever going to be able to produce one of their 3D interior sets for the kits.  

23 minutes ago, Scott Smith said:

Thanks for the post mclair!  Great info and it settles my question if I should sand off all that silly raised detail on the models.  Always thought it was way “out of scale” for tape. 
I do have a question if you can answer it.  Just how top secrets are the cockpit details? I’m curious if Quinta is ever going to be able to produce one of their 3D interior sets for the kits.  

I can answer that.  The main thing that REALLY surprised me about the F-35 when I first came to the program was how truly sparse the cockpit is!  First day when I climbed up on it was thinking "Where is everything?"  If you look up online the pics they are correct.  Nearly everything is done via the main display.  There are ZERO circuit breakers in the jet that the pilot can get to.  If you look in a Tomcat there are over 300.  In a Rhino Hornet, about 30.  F-35, ZERO!... 

Yes, sand all that raised shoot off, I am.

And it's Clare, no "i".

Oh and I painted several samples of the current model paint available for the fuselage FS36170, and I found "Mission Models Have Glass Grey FS36170" looks correct to me here in the hanger.  I will tell you that there is a LOT of variation between here in the hanger, and when it's outside, and even jet to jet, depending on weather, clouds and wash and wear.  Like I said, the leading edges have a different sheen to them.

Oh and don't get too crazy with weathering on the fuselage and in the wheel wells and bomb bays.  They are kept spotless pretty much.  EVERYONE here takes GREAT PRIDE in the program and in our jets, missions and country!

I have been in and out of the Military Industrial Complex most of my life. I was in the fleet Navy, deployed on three carriers (Ranger CV-61, Connie CV-64 and America CV-66) and some of those birds were rough.  But you could eat off of ours.  Even the floors are spotless!   Most of the team here wears some type of F-35 program shirt and/or jacket.   And nearly EVERYONE wears red on Friday, Lockheed Martin's R.E.D. Friday's (Remember Everyone Deployed)   It was weird at first seeing the whole hanger wearing red.  After a couple of weeks I asked my boss "What's up with the Red?"  Also, many are Veterans, myself included...   We also are hiring a LOT of students right out of college, and you would REALLY be surprised at how many are girls! 

1 hour ago, mclare said:

The main thing that REALLY surprised me about the F-35 when I first came to the program was how truly sparse the cockpit is!  First day when I climbed up on it was thinking "Where is everything?"    

I worked systems integration and flight test at LM on AA-1, and spent some time in the sim at the VSIF.  Just like you say, it's quite sparse in there, pretty much the dual screens, the stick and the cowpie. And obviously no HUD...

Been a few years since I was at Pax, worked on the E-6B program there.

1 hour ago, habu2 said:

I worked systems integration and flight test at LM on AA-1, and spent some time in the sim at the VSIF.  Just like you say, it's quite sparse in there, pretty much the dual screens, the stick and the cowpie. And obviously no HUD...

Been a few years since I was at Pax, worked on the E-6B program there.

Yeah, the Skipper is taking me over to the sim soon.  I made him a F-35 cell phone holder for his desk and he wanted to pay me and told him to stop..  He said "What can I do to thank you??  I said "Some sim time would be so cool!"  He goes "DONE!"

Yeah, I've worn the helmet and it's unreal.   I asked him if I could do some ACM, and he said no because our sims are setup for Flight Sciences, but that I could hover over the White House and land on the South Lawn!  Or fly up and down the Mall and around the Washington Monument!   Every now and then I go out with the FTCE's in the chase van out to the center of the field and watch them do ski jumps in preparation for the upcoming Det. on the Prince of Wales.  I was slated to go out on her, but I broke my knee last year so no ladders.  The Brits really do a full physical on you pre-deployment for us old farts!

6 hours ago, mclare said:

Oh and don't get too crazy with weathering on the fuselage and in the wheel wells and bomb bays.  They are kept spotless pretty much.  EVERYONE here takes GREAT PRIDE in the program and in our jets, missions and country!

LOLLLLLL  You must not have been out by CF-02.......

So last night I pulled out the fuselage from my Trumpy F-35C kit and as many of you are aware, the seams are HUGE!!!   I attempted to sand a small section off, but it took all the surrounding details off with it.  I feel if I sand the whole bird down there will be nothing left, and no reference marks to mask.   The entire bird will need to be re-scribed and re-riveted.   While I do have the Tamiya panel scriber sets, that's an insane amount of work!!!   Plus, I think I may need to purchase a spare fuselage for reference???

Thoughts!!!   

And I just went out to CF-02 and I stand by yesterday's statement!  She is VERY CLEAN!  (Dirt-wise)

So I’m sitting here looking at mine right now. I’m guessing that any panel lines and rivet detail in the raised zig-zag areas is incorrect?   As well as the square grid patterns on top too?  
How about the ridged outline around the perimeter of the wings?  
My plan is to use a short piece of 1” diameter hose and wrap 320 grit wet or dry sandpaper around it and wet sand the majority of the detail off.  Of course I’ll follow up with finer grits to polish it off some.  
All I’m hoping to do is remove some of the surreal detail. 
Hell, if it supposed to represent tape covering up seams and rivets, why would Trumpeter put those on top of the tape they’re supposed to be hiding?  
For a model of a stealth plane, it sure is bumpy!  

Edited by Scott Smith
3 hours ago, Scott Smith said:

So I’m sitting here looking at mine right now. I’m guessing that any panel lines and rivet detail in the raised zig-zag areas is incorrect?   As well as the square grid patterns on top too?  
How about the ridged outline around the perimeter of the wings?  
My plan is to use a short piece of 1” diameter hose and wrap 320 grit wet or dry sandpaper around it and wet sand the majority of the detail off.  Of course I’ll follow up with finer grits to polish it off some.  
All I’m hoping to do is remove some of the surreal detail. 
Hell, if it supposed to represent tape covering up seams and rivets, why would Trumpeter put those on top of the tape they’re supposed to be hiding?  
For a model of a stealth plane, it sure is bumpy!  

Yes i agree.  I think all of the details need to be sanded off and rescribed.  And LOMM shading will just be masked off and a little white added to the Have Glass.  

7 hours ago, mclare said:

So last night I pulled out the fuselage from my Trumpy F-35C kit and as many of you are aware, the seams are HUGE!!!   I attempted to sand a small section off, but it took all the surrounding details off with it.  I feel if I sand the whole bird down there will be nothing left, and no reference marks to mask.   The entire bird will need to be re-scribed and re-riveted.   While I do have the Tamiya panel scriber sets, that's an insane amount of work!!!   Plus, I think I may need to purchase a spare fuselage for reference???

Thoughts!!!   

And I just went out to CF-02 and I stand by yesterday's statement!  She is VERY CLEAN!  (Dirt-wise)

LOL  go up top next time and check out all the bird poop.

On 2/1/2023 at 3:35 PM, kellyF15 said:

LOL  go up top next time and check out all the bird poop.

When were you last up on her?   I was up there yesterday and she's very clean...???    I think Rick would take issue with that statement of yours.

1 hour ago, mclare said:

When were you last up on her?   I was up there yesterday and she's very clean...???    I think Rick would take issue with that statement of yours.

Rick is my dayshift counterpart

I've got a question for mclare. I'm curious about the schedule for fleet squadrons. It seems they are the last to be getting any Charlies. I believe there are only two Navy fleet squadrons with C's right now. Are they going to ramp up delivery, or is the Navy going to be the last to get -35's?

I have the Kitty Hawk 1/48 F-35C. At the moment KH is the only one that has/had a F-35C in 1/48. I am removing all the raised RAM tape on all of the exterior parts. I'm using a multi tool that has a detail sander head to remove the tape. It is a laborious process. I've closed up the weapons bay doors which were not designed to be closed. They fit poorly. Love to get the 1/32 Trumpy kit but at 200 beans it's a bit pricy for me.   

1 hour ago, Jon Krol said:

I have the Kitty Hawk 1/48 F-35C. At the moment KH is the only one that has/had a F-35C in 1/48. I am removing all the raised RAM tape on all of the exterior parts. I'm using a multi tool that has a detail sander head to remove the tape. It is a laborious process. I've closed up the weapons bay doors which were not designed to be closed. They fit poorly. Love to get the 1/32 Trumpy kit but at 200 beans it's a bit pricy for me.   

It is a bit pricy. I received a $250 gift certificate from my coworkers when I retired for Mega Hobby and waited on it to come out.  If it wasn’t for the free money, probably wouldn’t have done it.  

• 9 months later...

Resurrecting this thread, my Trumpy C was delivered today, ordered from squadron.com for $148 on a Black Friday sale w free shipping 👍

Now, where am I going to put this thing?  Even the box is HUGE.....