Converting North American T6G into a Mitsubishi A6M Zero - 1/72 scale (The Final Countdown film replica)

Hi folks,

I'm working on building a set of aircraft to model the Zero dogfight scenes in the film The Final Countdown. I'm well underway on the first F-14A Tomcat (new tooling Academy 1/72) and I am starting to gather everything for the first Zero. The "Zeros" in the film were converted North American T6 Texans originally built for Tora! Tora! Tora! I've decided that I want to try and model this conversion in as much fidelity as possible and will use the 1/72 Academy T6G as a base. What I'm undecided on is what kit to use for the donor Zero parts (engine cowl, canopy, wing tips, drop tank, etc.). The Tamiya 1/72 looks like it is the definitive Zero in that scale, but it seems like a shame to hack such a beautiful (and relatively expensive) kit apart like that. Does anyone have any recommendations on an inexpensive 1/72 Zero that has a nice cowl and canopy, preferably with an option to model open since they had open canopies during filming? Also if anyone has a line on a good 1/72 seated IJN pilot, that would be fantastic as well. I used Reedoak crew figures for the F-14 and I'd prefer to keep a similar level of detail on the Zero (unfortunately Reedoak does not do a Japanese pilot).

Zero-1_01.jpg

Now that is a cool project! I'm kind of surprised that I haven't seen anyone do it before...

If I were you, I'd make a post in The Spares Box section for spare Zero parts or a cheap/scrapped kit.

Good luck on the project, be sure to post pics!

7 hours ago, Milo said:

Now that is a cool project! I'm kind of surprised that I haven't seen anyone do it before...

If I were you, I'd make a post in The Spares Box section for spare Zero parts or a cheap/scrapped kit.

Good luck on the project, be sure to post pics!

Good idea on checking the spares section! And I'll definitely post pics once I get started.

Lone Star Models did a AT-6 to Zero conversion.    Not sure if it's still available.   AT-6 Zero conversion, Lone Star Models LSM 72063 (scalemates.com)  I tried to do a search of their website but it appears down.   I do see a Facebook page.    Maybe try contacting them and see if this is still available.   Lone Star Models | Facebook

I'm not sure you could use any actual Zero parts..the proportions are very different from the AT-6.  I did a conversion using the Airfix kit back in the late 1970s!  The engine was a standard AT-6 cowl, just with (fake) cowl flaps added.  I still plan to eventually do the conversion using a Academy AT-6.  The mods include:

Rear cockpit faired over, with solid rollover pylon behind the pilot 

New canopy (taller and fatter than an actual Zero)

Decking forward of the cockpit built up, with fake guns

leading edge "bump" for the wheels smoothed out

Round wingtip extensions

Lower landing gear doors added

Fake cowl flaps, and fake cooling vents on the fuselage behind the engine

Intake added under the engine cowl

Oil cooler intake on the side removed

Pointed extension added to the lower corner of the rudder

Center flap removed or faired over

And I think there was a wing filet added where the trailing edge meets the fuselage

Part of the problem with nailing down the specifics of the conversions is that most of the existing ones have been significantly modified over the years, and there are a number of them on the airshow circuit that are T-6s converted by individual owners long after the Tora planes, with varying degrees of modification.  Probably the best reference is to simply grab the DVD of "Tora! Tora! Tora!"

Cheers!

Steve 

On 8/23/2022 at 6:12 PM, Drifterdon said:

Lone Star Models did a AT-6 to Zero conversion.    Not sure if it's still available.   AT-6 Zero conversion, Lone Star Models LSM 72063 (scalemates.com)  I tried to do a search of their website but it appears down.   I do see a Facebook page.    Maybe try contacting them and see if this is still available.   Lone Star Models | Facebook

Mike West (Lone Star) is currently not taking orders, as he's occupied with caring for his ill wife.  I saw him at the recent IPMS Nationals, and he said he's maintaining his presence on Facebook just so people know he's still around and still working on products, and he'll eventually get back to selling again.

SN

22 minutes ago, Steve N said:

Mike West (Lone Star) is currently not taking orders, as he's occupied with caring for his ill wife.  I saw him at the recent IPMS Nationals, and he said he's maintaining his presence on Facebook just so people know he's still around and still working on products, and he'll eventually get back to selling again.

SN

Thanks for the update Steve.   I've ordered a bunch of stuff from Lone Star in the past.   I hope all the best for his wife and their family.

18 hours ago, Steve N said:

I'm not sure you could use any actual Zero parts..the proportions are very different from the AT-6.  I did a conversion using the Airfix kit back in the late 1970s!  The engine was a standard AT-6 cowl, just with (fake) cowl flaps added.  I still plan to eventually do the conversion using a Academy AT-6.  The mods include:

Rear cockpit faired over, with solid rollover pylon behind the pilot 

New canopy (taller and fatter than an actual Zero)

Decking forward of the cockpit built up, with fake guns

leading edge "bump" for the wheels smoothed out

Round wingtip extensions

Lower landing gear doors added

Fake cowl flaps, and fake cooling vents on the fuselage behind the engine

Intake added under the engine cowl

Oil cooler intake on the side removed

Pointed extension added to the lower corner of the rudder

Center flap removed or faired over

And I think there was a wing filet added where the trailing edge meets the fuselage

Part of the problem with nailing down the specifics of the conversions is that most of the existing ones have been significantly modified over the years, and there are a number of them on the airshow circuit that are T-6s converted by individual owners long after the Tora planes, with varying degrees of modification.  Probably the best reference is to simply grab the DVD of "Tora! Tora! Tora!"

Cheers!

Steve 

Thanks Steve, your list matches the changes I have been able to find in my research. I've been compiling screen grabs from The Final Countdown since I suspect there were changes to the aircraft as originally filmed in Tora! Tora! Tora! AI-113 in the film looks very close to the CAF AI-114 in it's current configuration. 114 does not have the antenna coming up from the rear canopy and does not have the loop antenna on the vertical stabilizer. Otherwise it seems remarkably close, other than minor differences in markings. That's a good thing because I've been able to find quite a few good shots of AI-114, including an almost perfectly side on shot. I think I'm better off modifying the existing cowl rather than trying to tack an actual Zero cowl on. It doesn't have the bulge that a real Zero does and also does not have the gun cutouts on top. For the canopy, there are some vaccuform examples out there, I may try that first. The rest, I can either scratch or 3D print.

Zero-1_01.jpg

CAF Zero 15.jpg

• 3 months later...

Didn’t someone actually kit these at one time?  Or was it advertised as Hollywood Zero but an actual zero kit in the box?  I just bought a 1/32 F-14 and the movie decals.  Also have another 1/32 T-6 in the stash. I should look into doing a conversion on it to go with the Tomcat. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/23/2022 at 8:36 AM, Scott Smith said:

Didn’t someone actually kit these at one time?  Or was it advertised as Hollywood Zero but an actual zero kit in the box?  I just bought a 1/32 F-14 and the movie decals.  Also have another 1/32 T-6 in the stash. I should look into doing a conversion on it to go with the Tomcat. 

Different movie!  But I like the idea!

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

Different movie!  But I like the idea!

Yea, they used the planes built for Tora, Tora, Tora.  I’ve been looking into this a bit closer and it seems that no two conversions were done the same. Sadly, one was lost along with the pilot due to a crash.  But one conversion they added “fillers” at the root of the wings leading edge to hide the T6 wing profile.  Another has modified landing gear doors and also has wheel wells modified a bit too.  
saw one with a cut down 3 blade prop and the zero shaped spinner, another with just a T6 spinner and two blade prop.  

Another idea, a two ship diorama with a T-6/ "Zero" and a Corsair of just about any version (they seemingly used them all) to recreate a scene from the TV series, "Blacksheep Squadron".

The father of a friend flew his -7 for filming.

And if one wanted to get ambitious, add the T-28 camera plane. The tail section (and perhaps wingtips?) we're painted blue to they would match the Corsairs.