1/175 Revell B-52D

I am building this old kit as a stand model for my desk. It's a repop of the old 60s B-52 with the X-15 but Revell plugged up the slot in the wing where the X-15 tail sticks through and gives you no X-15. The decals, all 2 of them, say it's a B-52C but I am painting  it up as a SEA camo B-52D. I have the black all done for the bottom and am now masking for the SAC bomber tan. It's good practice as I have a Dragon 1/200 B-52H to start next week.

B52 1.JPG

B52 31.JPG

B52 35.JPG

B52 36.JPG

B52 37.JPG

Edited by jonwinn

Thanks, SAC bomber tan is done and I am masking for the SAC bomber green now. It looks a bit rough now but after the SAC bomber green is done it should start looking somewhat better and a little neater.

B52 38.JPG

• 1 month later...

I just did the final color. I need to fix some over spray and paint the cockpit window frames. Maybe I can find some decals, Revell gives you a star 'n bar and a USAF. I might have some 1/144 in my decal stash.

B52 42.JPG

B52 43.JPG

Thanks, just resprayed the offending area and painted the cockpit window frames. I also glued the stand permanent. Now to see what I have in my decals spares box. I am not going overboard with this as it is a stand model to adorn my desk. No contest winner here. LOL

B52 44.JPG

I built the similar "Jet Commando" release back in high school in the early '70s.

I remember the X-15 plug.

Atlantis now has the mold, or at least one version, they released the X-15 carrier a couple of years ago.

Edited by JohnEB

Me too, built Jet Commando in about 1970, was in  high school, been there done that. I think that was right around the time I bought the 1/72 Monogram B-52 in black plastic, huge box! Sadly I never finished the kit, graduation, a job and life got in the way. I didn't build models again till the late 80s.

Edited by jonwinn
9 hours ago, JohnEB said:

Atlantis now has the mold, or at least one version, they released the X-15 carrier a couple of years ago.

I had the original Revell B-52/X-15 kit back in the day, only the X-15 survived (well, most of it). I picked up the Atlantis repop mostly out of nostalgia.