NATC OA-4M 152874/SD-305 photograph(s) needed

Looking for your help. I just received the 2nd Monogram release of the OA-4M. Decals for 2 versions and one of them seems interesting: NATC OA-4M 152874/SD-305. Due to the manual being in black&white and the use of letratones the depicted camouflage pattern is hard to decipher. Looking of the internet I can't find a single shot of this specific aircraft while in use with the NATC. Maybe one of you is able to help?

Edited by Nebbor
  • Nebbor changed the title to NATC OA-4M 152874/SD-305 photograph(s) needed

The OA-4Ms that were used at NATC wore the standard tactical scheme that the fleet birds had, so photos of other OA-4Ms will provide the scheme.  The previous squardon markings were painted out with fresh paint so those areas will be darker, but other than that they were standard paint.

Thanks for the info Joe but i am not sure this scheme can be explained by it. I scanned the painting guide to clarify. The dark letratones are provided as RAL7012 for B, anthracite for F and silver for G. All 3 make no sense to me hence my request for a photograph of this specific aircraft.

image.thumb.png.9be777463323469b703f2aacf88828bb.png

Nebbor,

According to skyhawk.org OA-4M 152874 was only at NATC for a short period before going to the boneyard.

Douglas TA-4F Skyhawk 152874 C/N 13520

21 Aug 1990 – NATC Strike Test – NAS Patuxent River, MD

14 Jan 1991 – NASC FSO, MASDC -– Davis-Mothan AFB, Tucson, AZ

However, also according to skyhawk.org this aircraft belonged to H&MS-12 as an OA-4M prior to being transferred to NATC.

Douglas TA-4F Skyhawk 152874 C/N 13520
12 Feb 1981 - H&MS-12 - MCAS Iwakuni, Japan
22 Sep 1989 - MAG-12 - Kadena AB, Okinawa, Japan
21 Aug 1990 – NATC Strike Test – NAS Patuxent River, MD

As to why the Skyhawk.org still lists it as a TA-4F, I don't know.  Perhaps to show the lineage.

Here is a photo of OA-4M 152874 of H&MS-12 dated Jun 86

aA43un-06.thumb.jpg.03d4ece1a10d24e054adf57d7948b648.jpg

Joe is correct, other than a couple of H&MS-32 OA-4M that were painted in dark green and grey camo, almost all OA-4Ms were in the standard USN/USMC TPS scheme, which faded rather quickly, hence his comment about over sprayed areas being a darker hue.   Good luck with your project.

HTH,

Dutch

Edited by Dutch

I thought I saw this before:  

photo credit to T. Malcolm English. Book: Superbase 25, Pax River. 

Here is the pic of 305…

as Joe eluded to…typical mixed TPS grey scheme with touch ups. 

Cheers

Collin

46AEE969-BDE6-4532-837A-55DE3091F24D.jpeg

Edited by Collin

@Nebbor, 

I was going through my 1/72 Wolfpak decals and discovered this same VX-23 NATC markings for OA-4M 152874 on sheet number 72-073, Raptors Talons. Unfortunately,  the color side view drawing is very basic and is more to show where the markings belong. They do include a miniature drawing from the USN Aircraft Painting guide, but it is so small and is not of much use. Collin gets the prize for including a beautiful color photo.

K/r,

Dutch