1/72 F-111 internal bomb bays?

Andy, closest thing is the High Planes RF-111C recce pallet which basically replaces the doors, external only.  No resin, no PE interior stuff, Zip, zilch, nada! It's a shame. You'd have figured someone somewhere along the way would have cast one. Pretty basic really.  Sorry, my friend, you get to be the guinee pig.

27 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Andy, closest thing is the High Planes RF-111C recce pallet which basically replaces the doors, external only.  No resin, no PE interior stuff, Zip, zilch, nada! It's a shame. You'd have figured someone somewhere along the way would have cast one. Pretty basic really.  Sorry, my friend, you get to be the guinee pig.

Yeah I finally managed to pick another one of those up recently. I did make an RF-111C many many years ago but Ive now no idea what happened to the model I made.
Its a drop in replacement to the Hawegawa kit part for the bomb bay door part/s.

Blackdog recently released a bay in 48th scale but there is nothing at all in 72nd scale. Which is weird as the Hawegawa kit only really makes an accurate F-111A (if you ignore the shape issue with it, which I will), which had a useable bomb bay with either bombs, AIM-9 trapes, Gun pack or Tokyo fuel cell.

The F-111F/C used it for the AN/AVQ-26 Pave Tack pod or the F model used it to mount its AN/ALQ-131 ECM pod when the Pave tack was in the stowed position (precluding its use at any point in the flight as it couldnt rotate out of the bay)...

Thats all to say its an over looked item that could be "busy"

Edited by ElectroSoldier

I think if Hasy would re-release the series there might be some interest from the aftermarket folks to make upgrades for them. I've still got enough of the originals that I'd go broke buying them! As I've said before... the best kits ever of the F-111's made. And they're over 34 years old.

If only Hasegawa would do a 48th series... Oh ya! Wouldn't that be nice!!!

DET1460:banana:

59 minutes ago, DET1460 said:

I think if Hasy would re-release the series there might be some interest from the aftermarket folks to make upgrades for them. I've still got enough of the originals that I'd go broke buying them! As I've said before... the best kits ever of the F-111's made. And they're over 34 years old.

I have 12 HAS 1/72 Varks all versions, built the FB in 1989 when I was in the 509 BW at Pease AFB.  I am currently working on a 1/48 FrankenBoss F-111E with Black Dog, Resikit, D-Mold and other upgrades.  The F-111 has always been the USAF Bastard Child, no reason it should get any love in the modeling world.  What I learned maintaining F-111 electronics for 17 Yrs. set me up life and I will buy every model & aftermarket piece released.

John

15 hours ago, DET1460 said:

Hobby2000 re-released the Hasegawa F-111D/F some time ago.

Cheers

Michael

17 hours ago, DET1460 said:

They had a couple of re-releases over the years. I managed to get at least one of all of the reboxings.

I ended up buying over 100 of them over the different boxes, but then spent a couple of years off loading them on ebay when I realized how large a 72nd scale model of Lakenheath would turn out being )))

Hasegawa was good back 20-30 years ago but they havent really turned out anything remarkable for a good few years now, all they have done is rinse a lot of money out of modelers for some one off decal sheets that are not worth what they charge for them.

Their F-111 kit is the best kit of the F-111 in any scale but its not all that good, especially not today. Back then it was the best but that was as you said 34 years ago!

I dont think if Hasegawa had a go at the F-111 there would be as much scope for the after market manufacturers with left out details on their kit as they have got fixing the Hobby boss kit.

Looking at recent works I would much prefer Academy to have a go at a complete new tooling rather than Hasegawa having a go at a 48th scale version.

Or Kinetic, Tamiya any of those guys would be better than Hasegawa these days.

Appreciate all the replies, folks. I was a crew chief at Plattsburgh when they first arrived. Impressive aircraft. At the SALT talks in the early 80's one thing the Soviets demanded was the immediate removal of the Varks from Europe... (England) because they saw what an effective strike platform the machine was. It was never given the celebrity status of the F-15 or F-117, but they dropped more precision weapons in the Gulf war than all the others combined (I believe...) with outstanding results. And the Hobby-Trumpy kit is, pardon the expression, an abortion that went horribly wrong. And I agree that Kinetic and the others could make a much better kit today than an upscaled Hasy kit. I just can't forget the real joy I had opening the first issue back in '88 of the FB... 7th heaven!

I often forget the newer manufacturers and their attention to detail. I just opened my Kinetic F-104 D and I'm very impressed with the detail (As well as getting TWO C sprues in the box!). But you're right in that another outfit can make a beautiful kit of it. 

But I think after 4049 missions during Linebacker II losing only six (6!) aircraft to enemy fire is more than amazing and taking out hundreds of tanks (Per night!) in the gulf war it definitely deserves more and better plastic today. Remember... The Soviets had many sleepless nights wondering where the E's and F's were at that moment...

JMHO

DET1460

Love the VARK!

16 minutes ago, DET1460 said:

Appreciate all the replies, folks. I was a crew chief at Plattsburgh when they first arrived. Impressive aircraft. At the SALT talks in the early 80's one thing the Soviets demanded was the immediate removal of the Varks from Europe... (England) because they saw what an effective strike platform the machine was. It was never given the celebrity status of the F-15 or F-117, but they dropped more precision weapons in the Gulf war than all the others combined (I believe...) with outstanding results. And the Hobby-Trumpy kit is, pardon the expression, an abortion that went horribly wrong. And I agree that Kinetic and the others could make a much better kit today than an upscaled Hasy kit. I just can't forget the real joy I had opening the first issue back in '88 of the FB... 7th heaven!

I often forget the newer manufacturers and their attention to detail. I just opened my Kinetic F-104 D and I'm very impressed with the detail (As well as getting TWO C sprues in the box!). But you're right in that another outfit can make a beautiful kit of it. 

But I think after 4049 missions during Linebacker II losing only six (6!) aircraft to enemy fire is more than amazing and taking out hundreds of tanks (Per night!) in the gulf war it definitely deserves more and better plastic today. Remember... The Soviets had many sleepless nights wondering where the E's and F's were at that moment...

JMHO

DET1460

Love the VARK!

I remember building it on its release too. I lived just outside Lakenheath at the time it was released.

I also remember watching the Gulf war unfold every night on the television news.

I remember some of the biggest items were the stealth jets and the TV guided bombs, stopping the Iraqis dumping oil into the gulf and the command bunkers being destroyed.
All of which were F-111F jobs. But nobody ever said anything about that.

The most unforgivable part is nobody has ever bothered to make a good model of it.