F-16C Para tail solution need

23 minutes ago, Solo said:

Why it doesn't fit right?

Because it's possibly not for the Tamiya Viper kits? I honestly don't get it either. Or, I suppose Dimi wants the tail set solution just like it comes in the KASL offer? The parapack tail extension as, offered by the Grand Models set, means grafting the resin piece onto the plastic kit tail? :hmmm:

5 minutes ago, Gwen Phoenix said:

Because it's possibly not for the Tamiya Viper kits? I honestly don't get it either. Or, I suppose Dimi wants the tail set solution just like it comes in the KASL offer? The parapack tail extension as, offered by the Grand Models set, means grafting the resin piece onto the plastic kit tail? :hmmm:

Yes, that is correct. 

I know there are a number of after market parachutes available:

- Grand models
- wolfpack
- AWC
- few others

I just lost hope trying to add the extensions to the plastic kit without success (due to fit issues) so I am looking for a tail-set solution like KASL (but for F-16C). It's difficult, especially for a beginner like me. Currently counting on PWMP for tail set.

Or i don't know..maybe try another brand one last time...

Mate, I didn't know that you were looking for a parapack tail set to dress up the Viper C (neither did I know that the shape and size of the tail was different between the block 15 and the block 50/52 to be honest with you), but I wouldn't be good at cutting the resin parapack bit in halves as it comes in the AWC offer just in order to make it fit the broader plastic kit base. That's for sure. Perhaps my husband could spare me the suffering.

On 8/22/2022 at 6:47 PM, scotthldr said:

The F-16A MLU tail isn't suitable for any C variant as the leading edge of the tail is a totally different size and shape.

Scott, will you please enlighten me with your wisdom? I will have to tackle the Viper C in the near future as well.

Cheers,

Gwen 

The base of the tail differs substantially between the A/B and the C/D. The leading edge of the base on the A/B tail is shorter with a steeper angle compared to the longer and shallower angle on the C/D. The C/D also has an antenna on the leading edge along with some cooling vents on the side of the base. The C/D tail base is wider as well. If you Google for images of F-16A and F-16C tails, the differences are obvious.

1 hour ago, dimi said:

Yes, that is correct. 

I know there are a number of after market parachutes available:

- Grand models
- wolfpack
- AWC
- few others

I just lost hope trying to add the extensions to the plastic kit without success (due to fit issues) so I am looking for a tail-set solution like KASL (but for F-16C). It's difficult, especially for a beginner like me. Currently counting on PWMP for tail set.

Or i don't know..maybe try another brand one last time...

Hi Dimi, 

I had a Cutting Edge F-16C tail, I say had as I’m not 100% sure if I still have it. I will need to look through the spare boxes , if I find it you can have it

https://modelingmadness.com/scott/detailsets/ce/cec48483.htm

18 hours ago, scotthldr said:

Hi Dimi, 

I had a Cutting Edge F-16C tail, I say had as I’m not 100% sure if I still have it. I will need to look through the spare boxes , if I find it you can have it

https://modelingmadness.com/scott/detailsets/ce/cec48483.htm

If you manage to find that, you will be my hero forever and ever ! . Jokes aside, no matter what, I really appreciate the help. 

7 hours ago, Solo said:

The one of the best of tail is made by Attack Squadron, but is is hard to buy.

Here you can find more information in my text on KMF Miniatures site:
1/48 F-16 Jastrząb - Niezbędne konwersje - KFS-miniatures

That is a very nice article. I actually learned stuff i didn't know. I was looking for the Attack Squadron pack and I concluded that it will be easier to find a kidney than to find Attack Squadron para chute 😛 

While waiting to see if I manage to find a complete set, i might go a get another Tamiya Kit (since i am planing to build another model anyway) and this time post some videos of my issue _before_ gluing or doing anything. 

8 hours ago, Solo said:

The one of the best of tail is made by Attack Squadron, but is is hard to buy.

05-4.jpg

Here you can find more information in my text on KMF Miniatures site:
1/48 F-16 Jastrząb - Niezbędne konwersje - KFS-miniatures

I believe Attack Squadron seized to exist and several product (maybe even all) were taken over by Brengun. Maybe worthwhile to contact Brengun and ask when/if they will re-release this para tail.

http://www.brengun.cz/about-us

44 minutes ago, dimi said:

If you manage to find that, you will be my hero forever and ever ! . Jokes aside, no matter what, I really appreciate the help. 

I will try and have a look tomorrow, another option would be to contact Raymond Chung at Luckymodel and purchase sprues C & F from any C/D kit and build up the entire Kinetic kit tail and use that. It might take a minor bit or work attaching it, but nothing major.

• 1 month later...

So much for KASL Hobby... :doh:

I purchased this bit from a vendor in Taipei through evilBay. It was $27.50 + $9.00 shipping. After the seller subtracted from my credit card, he told me that the Chunghwa Post wouldn't ship to Argentina, hence, I had to look for an alternate postal address.

Sent it to a courier in Miami, who asked another $54 for the bit to be sent down to Argieland. :gr_eek2:

When the bit finally arrived in Buenos Aires, I was happy as #@ck! Opened the box only to find this:

ZkUpdwg.jpg  ipbliba.jpg

The fin is awfully warped, and the top and the leading edge are bent. There's also some resin at the base of the rudder, where it meets the parapack compartment. Only way I figure out to fix that issue would be to cut the rudder out and sand at the base. :hmmm:

Had this moment of wrath and sent KASL Hobby and e-mail asking for a replacement, but all the answer I got from them was: "Every resin presents a warpage and bend. Soak the part in hot water (70º/80ºC) for three minutes, fish it out and straighten it as needed" :rolleyes:

Told those misters that I was a complete noob, and I feared ruining the part further if I ever tried fixing it on my own. That's what I got for $90+, so dimi, if you're as noob as I am, I urge you NOT to order from KASL Hobby. Jeeez...!

Cheers,

Gwen

That fin is easily fixable by following the instructions from KASL. Unfortunately any large piece of resin is susceptible to warpage there’s no way of really getting round it. After you warm it up, gently prise it into shape by applying light pressure then re warm it and continue applying pressure, just remember to warm it up each time you apply pressure, you’ll be surprised how malleable resin is when warm. As for the area at the rudder base, I would just fill it and sand square with the outer tail surfaces, the gap on the real a/c is not noticeable.

1 hour ago, scotthldr said:

After you warm it up, gently prise it into shape by applying light pressure then re warm it and continue applying pressure, just remember to warm it up each time you apply pressure, you’ll be surprised how malleable resin is when warm. 

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your help. Will give it a try. One question tho, do I really have to let the resin bit in hot water for that long? Three minutes seem like a lifetime to me.

And after the part is straightened out, have I got to soak it in cold water or put it in the esky?

Oh, I know so well that I'll end up making this $90+-worth resin part look like the fellon going through an acid waste tank in the Robocop film, you'll see... 😄

Cheers,

Gwen

Yes, at least a couple of minutes. Remember not boiling water but hotter than what probably comes out of your hot water tap. I personally boil water then leave it for about 3 mins before immersing only the area of the resin part that you want to straighten, in this case the upper half of the tail.

Get a large enough coffee mug, fill with your hot water, tie one end of a bit of thread round the tail base and the other end round a pencil, place pencil across the mug and suspend tail in water, leave for a minute at first then try to gently manipulate into shape, it won’t take much pressure and at the same time getting a feel for the softened resin, repeat process maybe having to extend the time tail is in hot water. Once your happy let resin air cool.

Thin resin parts are prone to warpage, and an alternative is to cut the tailfin from the tailfin base and marry the resin tailfin base to the (separate) Tamiya tailfin.  Just  be careful gluing the two pieces of the Tamiya tailfin to make sure that itself is properly straight.

19 hours ago, Gwen Phoenix said:

Told those misters that I was a complete noob, and I feared ruining the part further if I ever tried fixing it on my own. That's what I got for $90+, so dimi, if you're as noob as I am, I urge you NOT to order from KASL Hobby. Jeeez...!

Cheers,

Gwen

You said it yourself, sometimes you have to think if your skills are up to par to tackle some things in modeling, the same goes to dimi. This whole thread shows he has bitten more than he can chew. I'd be offending people but he should have improved his basic skills first with other kits or simple builds than trying to fix something he messed up because he doesn't have the skills for and keep throwing money away down the drain. How much money are you willing to spend for something that ends up as a learning experience? As for your KASL resin tails, as scott said big pieces of resin can warp due to the packaging and heat during shipment. And one basic skill when using resin is these cases knowing how to fix the warping with hot water. 1 out of 4 sets of resin exhaust I've bought from several companies come squashed or not completely round. Resin weapons and their fins frequently come warped too. And as for the water temperature, I usually use hot enough to make coffee or tea. And how much time depends on the size and thickness of the piece. If you're blowing a storm because of a warped tail that can be easily fixed, I don't know what would be your reaction if you ever tried to build resin figures.

Edited by Inquisitor
18 hours ago, Inquisitor said:

You said it yourself, sometimes you have to think if your skills are up to par to tackle some things in modeling, the same goes to dimi. This whole thread shows he has bitten more than he can chew. I'd be offending people but he should have improved his basic skills first with other kits or simple builds than trying to fix something he messed up because he doesn't have the skills for and keep throwing money away down the drain. How much money are you willing to spend for something that ends up as a learning experience? As for your KASL resin tails, as scott said big pieces of resin can warp due to the packaging and heat during shipment. And one basic skill when using resin is these cases knowing how to fix the warping with hot water. 1 out of 4 sets of resin exhaust I've bought from several companies come squashed or not completely round. Resin weapons and their fins frequently come warped too. And as for the water temperature, I usually use hot enough to make coffee or tea. And how much time depends on the size and thickness of the piece. If you're blowing a storm because of a warped tail that can be easily fixed, I don't know what would be your reaction if you ever tried to build resin figures.

To be honest, I was surprised that all replies were providing solutions and no one started to criticize yet. You are not offending anyone, it's just that you took the time to write an answer where half of it does not benefit nor helps the purpose.  If any time experience stopped from doing something, I wouldn't have achieved anything in my life.  

I knew this was out of my league and that I did not have the experience  "to add a supposedly great fit tail extension on a tail" but that did not stop me from trying. The result was :

- I learn a lot of things during the process, despite the fact I destroyed 4 tails. 

- Made a friend (most important).

I also understand Gwen since when I want something really bad, I will have it no matter the cost.

Friendly,

Dimi

On 10/1/2022 at 12:54 PM, Inquisitor said:

1 out of 4 sets of resin exhaust I've bought from several companies come squashed or not completely round.

Guilty as charge, as I said it myself: I'm an inveterate noob and, in any way, I wasn't aware of the abovementioned quote. Then again, I must be SUCH a lucky lass, as I've purchased lots of resin stuff which are big enough as to have come squashed or not completely round, yet this is the first resin set I've ever had trouble with.

Now, how do you gain experience with resin if you don't do resin? My wrath with KASL was because they said their resin products were so high precision I was only going to have to plug the tail as though it were the Hasegawa piece. Add to that having had to pay almost thrice the price for it, and I'm quite sure even you, @Inquisitor, were going to bad girl about it. :rolleyes:

On 10/2/2022 at 7:42 AM, dimi said:

I also understand Gwen since when I want something really bad, I will have it no matter the cost.

Respects, my friend. :thumbsup: 

Cheers,

Gwen