8th TFW "Wolfpack" F-4C (Tamiya 32nd Scale)

For the last year, I've been plugging away on this kit.   It's by far the biggest, most involved build I've ever done.    Between fixing issues with the basic Tamiya kit (removed and re-scribing / riveting the dozen or so raised patches on the fuselage that don't belong there, rebuilding the air intake trunks and a hundred other items) to adding details (probably have close to a thousand tiny bits added to the wheel wells, cockpits, TER / MER), adding aftermarket items (M117 bombs, Mk 5 ejection seats, Quinta instrument panels, Brassin AIM-7/9's), GT Resin exhausts), I'm quite shocked that I'm getting close to the finish line   

I'm replicating a very beaten-up F-4C that was part of the famous Operation Bolo.  These jets were all delivered in the original Navy gull grey / white scheme and were quickly repainted by contractors when the USAF switched over to the SEA scheme (during this painting, most of the topside stencils were never reapplied).   For these early jets, they were left in their original gloss white undersides, with a hundred or so warning / caution markings, while the topsides were painted using non-spec paint that weathered extremely quickly.   Couple that with touchups being done by squadron personnel using whatever paint was available (include good old dark OD) and these jets had some amazingly weird paint schemes.   Anyway, that's it for the intro, if you want to follow my build in detail, it's all over on LSP.    Here's the original 589, the rest are various pictures of my progress. 

Note the crazy multi-colored paint scheme, a mix of white and light grey codes on the tail, the asymmetric weapons load and the overall OD external tanks. 

453bHdR.jpg

sGimUNd.jpg?2

7ocPEKk.jpg?1

VTsDSn9.jpg?2

Yes, the AIM-7's on these jets did get pretty dirty (I subsequently toned down the scratches on the fins though)

dHhBHIJ.jpg?1

Nothing bugs me more than a weathered jet with immaculate bombs.   These things were very well beaten up before getting loaded on the jet.   I also added the fuse safety/arming wires that often get overlooked. 

Rez8hhq.jpg?1

4zlyvm2.jpg?1

About 35 extra bits added to the TER

IQ9O65H.jpg?1

Fpf8rnz.jpg

Loaded up.   I've got pictures of this weapons loadout.  Also note the green camo'd QRC-160 ECM pod.  The underside of the these jets were filthy. 

RRH1b7P.jpg

eD6ntKJ.jpg

GyDywfL.jpg?1

Added a bunch of wiring / hydraulic lines in the main gear bays and detailed the interior of the aux air intakes. 

8RG2By7.jpg?1

sTnaCp5.jpg

gOYA9X5.jpg?3

Note the crazy mix of weathered paint, touchups with fresh paint, including whatever the crew chief could get his hands on. 

Akx4Scd.jpg?2

That's it, thanks for looking. 

Edited by 11bee
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys.   Been spending time in the WSO's cockpit.  Added the upper IP (front side is from Quinta, replaced all of the backside instrument housings with correctly shaped ones, added a bunch of Airscale placards, wiring, fittings, etc.  On the aft bulkhead, added the canopy locking hook and it's spring, the canopy air line connector for and a bunch of electrical lines.    Slowly getting this area to look as "busy" as the real thing.   Also did some weathering on the intake / foward fuselage upper surfaces to replicate the scuffs from crew and pilot's combat boots. 

7OU1lUt.jpg

L5Kz4e8.jpg

kqjBSX1.jpg

mBuXnR7.jpg

SxKXRzM.jpg

iwfniVr.jpg

Edited by 11bee

Bombshell Phantom!

Absolutely amazing!

You are not only a Master Modeler but also a Great Artist that you show a top notch skill of panting and weathering. 

As for the cockpit, it looks like a downscaled real thing.

Bravo!

Cheers and happy modeling!

Alexander

• 1 month later...

Thanks very much guys.    Finally got a chance to do some work on the Phantom recently.    Added as many details as I could to the area between the cockpits and the aft bulkhead of the WSO's pit.    

Here's the real thing:

1YAZQWS.jpg

stlPBK8.jpg

fUF6xdA.jpg

ytNBMNp.jpg

I've already started to tone down some of the scuff marks on the upper intakes and cockpit edges.   

xtWOlCM.jpg

Getting there...

pVkfVUX.jpg

Edited by 11bee
  • 2 months later...