Yesterday my wife and I visited the local farmer's market in Kingston, Tn. A gentlemen wearing an Air Force Vietnam Vet hat and H-53 shirt, was selling homemade clocks. 
But what was truly interesting, was his story. He was the FE on Jolly 65 during the Bat 21 mission. Bill Sinin or something close. His writing is a bit difficult to read. 
Anyhow, we're actually neighbors. He lives about 1 mile from my house, so I plan on visiting. I did share that I was in the 20th SOS back in my early career and was on the flyover for Jolly 67's ceremony at Arlington back in 1997.
I'd like to build a HH-53C from the 37th ARRS and present it to him. I know Italeri, Fujimi and Airfix all make the C-model in 1/72. What about the MPC kit? 
I'm just looking to source one, quickly. 
Any decals that would be specific to the 37th?

Thanks!

Jeff

P.S. I bought a clock. Didn't need it but sometimes helping out our older vets is more important. 

Edited by ST0RM

The MPC kit is the Airfix one, re-boxed - of the 1/72 offerings, it's easily the best both in terms of shape and in being covered in rivets, rather than fictional recessed panel lines. Both original Airfix boxings - HH-53C and CH-53D/G - contained exactly the same plastic, so either would do.

As for decals, you'd just need to change the serial number - 10363 was used on at least one of the BAT21 rescue attempts, but hopefully he'll be able to tell you which aircraft Jolly 65 was...

Couple of 37th ARRS Da Nang photos:

37th_ARRSq_Revetments,_DaNang,_RVN_1970-

Boxer-Jolly-960_640.jpg.1d68b1910af13f57cda84e0a8eab9523.jpg

Edited by andyf117

Hi Storm,

Great story, wish I were there to hear it!

Anyway, Andy is absolutely correct; the Airfix/MPC kit is definitely the best one around, if you can find it!

I am building mine as an Israeli CH-53 Ya'sur bird.  Even though the Wingman resin is made to fit the Italeri kit, I will grind the parts down (especially the engine intake filters!) to MAKE them fit onto the superior Airfix kit!

Best Wishes,

WARDOG

Most likely his aircraft was 68-10365

"68-10365USAF; 37th ARRS w/o 06Apr72 Vietnam during Bat 21 rescue"

More info:  

"6 Apr 71: Coast Guard Lt. Commander Jay Crowe, an exchange pilot on assignment to the 37th ARRS at Da Nang, was piloting Jolly Green 65. The helicopter broke through the clouds and rapidly dropped into the area where Hambleton was hidden. The aircraft was immediately struck by a wall of North Vietnamese gunfire. Their rounds tore through the aircraft, destroying the instrument panel. Crowe struggled to get the aircraft out of the fire zone, and with his instruments shot up, he had to rely on external visual cues to fly the aircraft. He nursed the helicopter south and was able to get to the Phu Bai airfield." 

Andy, Glynn and Gino,

Thank you for the info and photos. 
Yes, Bill said that they lost most of the tail rotor authority so it was sporty getting the helo out of there. And the electronics for the miniguns was shot to crap, so when he took aim on some VC out in a paddy, he was #%$^* that the gun wouldnt fire. 
And Phu Bai refused them to land there, but the pilot said they didnt have any other options and landed anyhow. 
When I see him next, I'll inquire about the tail number. And any other stories he's got to tell. I love hearing them. 
Now to snag an Airfix/MPC kit at a decent price. 

-Jeff

Jeff,  Wow!  Take care of him. When you go to see him next, inquire after his favorite brand of adult beverage. That'll give you an excuse to come back again.  LOL!  Seriously, give him all of our thanks for his service.  I have my share of scars from some "rock fights," but nothing compared to that story.  K/r, Dutch   

5 hours ago, ST0RM said:

Andy, Glynn and Gino,

Thank you for the info and photos. 
Yes, Bill said that they lost most of the tail rotor authority so it was sporty getting the helo out of there. And the electronics for the miniguns was shot to crap, so when he took aim on some VC out in a paddy, he was #%$^* that the gun wouldnt fire. 
And Phu Bai refused them to land there, but the pilot said they didnt have any other options and landed anyhow. 
When I see him next, I'll inquire about the tail number. And any other stories he's got to tell. I love hearing them. 
Now to snag an Airfix/MPC kit at a decent price. 

-Jeff

Whilst his account ties up with what @HeavyArty posted, that incident occurred on April 3 (screenshot from 'Fighting to Leave: The Final Years of America's War in Vietnam, 1972-1973', by Robert E. Stoffey.)

jolly65.jpg.199568e588167fa662634e93df033f5a.jpg

10365 was Jolly 67, the aircraft lost on April 6:

"1972 - April 06; HH-53C #68-10365 (Call sign "Jolly Green 67") of the 37th ARRS and crewed by Capt. Peter Hayden Chapman II (P), 1st Lt. John Henry Call III (CP), TSgt. Roy Dewitt Prater (FE), TSgt. Allen Jones Avery (PJ) Sgt. William Roy Pearson (PJ) and Sgt. James Harold Alley (AP) was shot down in RVN, while on a SAR mission attempting to recover a crewmember of EB-66C (Call sign "Bat 21 Bravo"), Lt. Col. Iceal E. Hambleton, with the loss of all 6 crew members." (http://www.rotorheadsrus.us/documents/1971___1973.html)

I could be wrong, but would suggest it's highly unlikely that a badly-damaged aircraft which was effectively force-landed away from its home base would have been flying operationally again only three days later - hopefully he will be able to give the tail number of 'his' bird.

Edited by andyf117
  • 2 weeks later...