Trumpeter's A-10A, 1/32 scale

Hello each and everyone. I managed to make a deep plunge into my new project keeping in mind wide scope of improvements and scratch builds.

I found lots of detailed images in the Net so far but non of the piano hinge on the nacelles or hi res pics of the nacelles from above that all the panel and riveting lines to be clearly visible.

If anyone by chance has alike images, would you be so generous to share them with me?

And just a few in-progress pics to start with:

Regards,

Alexander 

0Z4A3634.JPG

0Z4A3771.JPG

0Z4A3762.JPG

0Z4A3772.JPG

0Z4A3575.JPG

0Z4A3576.JPG

0Z4A3578.JPG

0Z4A3582.JPG

0Z4A3591.JPG

0Z4A3602.JPG

0Z4A3672.JPG

Edited by Eastern
adding images
  • Eastern changed the title to Trumpeter's A-10A, 1/32 scale

Thank you guys for the interest. Now I'm stuck due to lack of the nacelles images. I would much appreciate if anyone share with me some hi res images of the nacelles from above that all panel and riveting lines are clearly visible.

Cheers!

Alexander

15 hours ago, A-10 LOADER said:

Holy cow, great work so far.

Steve

Thank you Steve.

Well, another step. I managed the wings to be removable. This is how I did it. Plastic tube is just to illustrate what it's all about. 🙂 The tube will definitely be of more stronger material.

0Z4A3675.JPG

0Z4A3676.JPG

0Z4A3677.JPG

0Z4A3678.JPG

0Z4A3679.JPG

Edited by Eastern
adding some words
2 hours ago, karl h said:

Hi Alexander, i will follow your work closely

Do you have Jake Melampys A-10 book?

Amazon.com: The Modern Hog Guide: The A-10 Warthog Exposed: 9780979506420: Jake Melampy: Bücher

If not, or you have problems ordering it, i can take a look in my copy

Hi Karl,

Nice to hear from you. How's it going? I hope you are well.

I had but some time ago I sold it along with some aftermarket stuff. Two years ago I wanted to get rid of the kit and advertised it for sale but there was no interest except the aftermarket stuff the kit was stuffed in plenty. 🙂 Then the kit was collecting dust and no one showed any interest on it. So after a while I decided to put my own hands on it. But Jake's Guide was off. 

If you by chance have some images concerning the in-question area I would much appreciate your sharing them with me.

Cheers!

Alexander

Amazing start to an iconic aircraft. I like the wing remove idea. It is a big jet once finished. I purchased a glass cabinet especially after building mine and when I got the cabinet home…the Hog wouldn’t fit. Oh well. I still love my ugly! 

Can’t wait to see it in all it glory in the masters hands. Keep up the good work!

Edited by Youngtiger1
On 8/26/2022 at 5:16 PM, Youngtiger1 said:

Amazing start to an iconic aircraft. I like the wing remove idea. It is a big jet once finished. I purchased a glass cabinet especially after building mine and when I got the cabinet home…the Hog wouldn’t fit. Oh well. I still love my ugly! 

Can’t wait to see it in all it glory in the masters hands. Keep up the good work!

Hi Youngtiger 1,

Thank you for your nice comment. Sorry to hear, though, on the cabinet. Sometimes s..t happens. 🙂

Well, now some improvements concerning the nose gun. I think it's of no good the gun is embedded in the fuselage so I managed to alter the in question area.

First I cut the gun halves off the fuselage and filed the opening. Then I used piece of plastic to make "sole" of the gun covering and filed it to give it right shape. 

I used plastic glue to soften the back side of the sole to be more flexible and then bent it to fit the opening. Then I used just a pare of little drops of the glue to fix the sole on the fuselage and pressed it down with masking tape. Then I let it rest for a day to give time to the softened side to harden and then sandpapered it to give a correct surface.

Then I...Then...then.. Well I think the below pics show the process and the result more nicely that words do. LOL

Cheers!

Alexander

p.s. Can't figure out how to type below the uploaded images

0Z4A3795.JPG

0Z4A3801.JPG

0Z4A3802.JPG

0Z4A3808.JPG

0Z4A3809.JPG

0Z4A3813.JPG

0Z4A3817.JPG

0Z4A3825.JPG

0Z4A3826.JPG

0Z4A3830.JPG

0Z4A3837.JPG

0Z4A3835.JPG

9 hours ago, A-10 LOADER said:

Nice work, much better.

Steve

Thank you Steve for keeping your keen eye on my build.  🙂

And now the ultimate stage of the gun improvement.

The gun muzzle is from the Cutting Edge.

The last image shows my riveting tool.

0Z4A3878.JPG

0Z4A3879.JPG

0Z4A3877.JPG

Riveting tool.JPG

Edited by Eastern
adding some images
17 hours ago, Youngtiger1 said:

That is one sophisticated riveting tool. Must have been purchased at the UMM-USA.com 😉

🙂 Oh yes, there were very few of them there so I had time to grab one.

BTW, the tool is very handy at making nice raised riveting lines like on the image below.

Cheers!

Alexander

0Z4A3818.JPG

17 hours ago, Alternative 4 said:

This build is amazing, very tidy work.

I'm looking forward to see how you tackle the nose shape.

I actually am not to alter whole shape of the nose thought the frames are not correct. I'm just to correct only the side view of nose. 🙂

On 9/5/2022 at 7:21 PM, Eastern said:

🙂 Oh yes, there were very few of them there so I had time to grab one.

BTW, the tool is very handy at making nice raised riveting lines like on the image below.

Cheers!

Alexander

0Z4A3818.JPG

Wow could you share how you managed that? 

19 minutes ago, Neo said:

Wow could you share how you managed that? 

Well, it actually is not too hard to achieve. 🙂

First, you have to arrange riveting lines with a pencil on their right places. If you want all the rivets to be at the equal voids you'd better use a thin and narrow rule like those you may find in some Scribing Template sets and put it on the place and fix with masking tape. Then you take the "riveting tool" with your right hand, or left one, if you are a left-handed guy and make rivets. You should keep the tool perpendicular to the surface and push it down with rotating movement. But first you should try it on some bit of plastic to reach a proper result. 

As for me, I scarcely ever use the rule, just lay on my keen eye and trained hand. 🙂

Some words concerning the tool. Choose the needle diameter considering the rivet size. Cut the syringe needle so that to leave 3 mm of it. If you use a insulin syringe leave just 2 mm. Then sharpen the edge of the cut needle with sand paper 1000 or 1500 grid and clear the hole with conventional sewing needle. Use a magnifying glass to control the process. 

Now try your tool and you'll succeed. But don't push the tool down too hard, otherwise you may bend the needle despite it's short enough. 

Why the rivets appear to look raised? When you push the tool down while rotating it, some plastic enters the needle canal and gives the desired result. 

Cheers and happy modeling!

Alexander