Airbrush nozzle size: nominal vs. actual.

After 4 years of service my trusty P270 started blowing air in opposite direction. The rubber seal needed to repair was out of stock so I decided to treat myself with new airbrush and bought H&S Evolution silverline 2 in 1 with 0.15 and 0.4 mm nozzles. In the test run I felt very similar behavior to 0.2 mm P270 so I decided to measure the nozzles by trying to insert different drill bits into it. Well, the 0.15 mm accepted 0.25 mm bit and 0.2 mm accepted 0.3 mm bit. I also measured thes bits with digital calipers and they're quite as specified.

So this makes me wonder whether the advertized nozzle sizes are in fact differ in actual size, just like dimensional lumber. Am I crazy? 🙂

Edited by Helmsman
On 8/23/2022 at 11:16 PM, Helmsman said:

Am I crazy? 

🙂

Yes, you are. If you're tampering with the nozzles by inserting drill bits into them, I think you're asking for trouble.

What's the point in doing that? Harder & Steenbeck replacements are awful expensive (and hard to come by as of late). Better be ruining your nozzles because you're a noob at handling them - like me, than ruining them just because.

Let those nozzles be, you fool.

Cheers,

Gwen

Edited by Gwen Phoenix
Wrong phrasal verb

Ha-ha 3 times. Inserting doesn't mean using force. The point of it is to measure the actual size as I have no other suitable tools. And I'm open to suggestions regarding other ways to achieve this goal.

Any comments about nominal vs actual sizes?

22 hours ago, Helmsman said:

Ha-ha 3 times.

😄 Okay, how about using the airbrush needle to gauge the nozzle size instead? Since you've got reliable digital calipers, guess you could always gently push the needle until it stops, mark the portion of the needle which protrudes from the nozzle hole with a felt tip pen, take it out of the nozzle and then use it to measure the size. It doesn't really take much force to rip the nozzle. My Infinity CR+ nozzles are quite brittle, and then I'm not the correct person to be handling them.

Need to buy the sealing kit #126910 and it's listed 9 quid + postage. :doh:There; how about you asked H&S about nominal vs actual sizes?

Cheers,

Gwen

Felt tip will leave mark bigger than nozzle size so it is unreliable. And I think if nozzle can handle a needle, it can handle other metal object. And asking offender whether he's offender or not doesn't seem to be a good idea. 🙂 Nobody yet said in ads that their goods are "not the best" or "not to specs".

Edited by Helmsman

measure the needle at the point it comes out of the nozzle.

Anyway you should be measuring the convergence size.

When you are talking about the sizes you are, .15 to .25 you wont really notice a lot of difference. the paint will need to be thinner, which means you can drop your pressure but that will give other characteristics that you might think are as a result of the needle size, which are not.

Edited by ElectroSoldier