1/18th scale Merit AV-8B, VMA-211

Since my new paint booth is up and running I decided to break out the loadout for my 1/18th scale Harrier ( the pre-built version by Merit, not the kit ). I have everything except for a center line pylon for the Litening pod. Maybe someone who's handy with a 3D printer will make one someday ?? hint, hint. The gun pod / crossover fairing was added back in 2019.

The loadout for the Harrier will be,

x4 GBU-38's with the DSU-33 fuze.

x1 CATM-9.

x1 TATCS pod.

Litening pod on the center line.

The GBU-38's are really impressive and very well done. The TATCS pod was made by Nathan Horchem and, the AIM-9L was cast by a good friend using the Tomcat's AIM-9 as the mold.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_7514.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

(edited)_IMG_7516.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

(edited)_IMG_7518.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Edited by A-10 LOADER

Thanks, like I said this version is the pre-built one so, the jets finished just adding some things to her to make her look a little better. I had already added the gun / ammo pods to her. I did have to scratch-build a new "crossover fairing".

Steve

IMG_6113_zps1fcxj3hi.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_6111_zpseqk7cliu.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_6110_zpsxovlmnmq.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

• 2 weeks later...

Finished up three of the four bombs for the most part. Attached the forward strakes, painted the GPS antennas on the tail kit assemblies, flat coated everything including the DSU-33 nose sensors and, had to wait to paint the strake straps and some bolt heads on the tail kit assemblies until my hands weren't so shaky.  I may paint the bomb lugs, I have to see how they'll mount on the racks first. I used a length of 1/16" aluminum rod for the TCTS pod probe and rounded over the tip.

These JDAMS, by Flying Leatherneck Decals, are extremely well done and are like little models all by themselves.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_7528.png

(edited)_IMG_7529.png

(edited)_IMG_7530.png

(edited)_IMG_7533.png

One JDAM loaded, three more to go. Modifying the pylons by cutting off those pegs and inserting some .040" brass rods inside the bomb lugs, which still need to be painted and, drilling holes in the pylons.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_7534.png

(edited)_IMG_7536.png

I received my replacement GBU-38 tail assembly on Friday along with these little gems. 1/18th scale LAU-7 rails for my AV-8B+, from Flying Leatherneck Decals, thanks very much Dave. This 3D printing stuff is really quite impressive.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_7537.png

(edited)_IMG_7538.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finished up the GBU-38's and the LAU-7 rails and, got them installed. These items make a big difference in the overall look of the jet compared to what she came with. I still need to do the CATM-9 and I'm waiting on the center line pylon, Litening pod and, ACMI pod to be printed and I can finish this project up finally.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_7541.png

(edited)_IMG_7542.png

A few weeks ago Artur Pucyk, of Bandit Resin Factory, reached out to me via IM on Facebook when he saw one of my posts about my Harrier progress. We talked about a few items that I'd like to add to her and he said he's been looking at getting into doing 1/18th scale items and today I received this in the mail. Outstanding job my friend, everything looks amazing !! Hopefully I can do these parts justice. They will definitely "upgrade" my Harrier that's for sure.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_7545.png

Center line pylon with swaybraces

(edited)_IMG_7546.png

(edited)_IMG_7547.png

ACMI pod with ballast

(edited)_IMG_7548.png

(edited)_IMG_7550.png

AN/AAQ-28 LITENING pod

(edited)_IMG_7551.png

(edited)_IMG_7552.png

I got the center line pylon and the LITENING pod parts cleaned up and started on some "test fitting". I've searched for years for pics showing the "cross-over" fairing fitted when the gun/ammo pods are installed and still have not found any to this day. I've no idea if my fairing is even close to being correct but, at this point it is what it is. I had to cut a opening in the fairing so the pylon could slide in, again most likely incorrect. Once the pylon was fitted I sat the LITENING pod on it so I could mark where my attachment pins would go. I guess the good thing is once she's flipped over and sitting on her gear, you won't see too much and, what you will see will look correct.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_7553.png

(edited)_IMG_7554.png

• 1 month later...

Still chipping away on this project, while I work on the A-7. Wrapped up the centerline pylon and painted the "eyes" of the targeting pod. I'll add some clear blue over the silver eye, then mask them off and spray the entire pod. These won't be visible when on the ground but, wanted to do them anyway.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_7602.png

(edited)_IMG_7603.png

(edited)_IMG_7604.png