Majority of the construction complete with multiple filling products

Wing pylon filling and ripples in the flap from gluing needed fixing.

0817220027a

First coat of primer to check for flaws

0817222253_HDR

more to come...

Tracy

Vidar,

Nice work so far. I do not have the Roden 720 kit, but appreciate your method and skill at fixing some of the minor issues. As Ray says, it looks way better than the Minicraft 707 kit.  I noticed in your second photo that the horizontal stabilizer mounting area on the rear fuselage appears to have a raised area. Roden appears to have made a similar, bu tmore pronounced are on their RC-135 kit. See my kit review here. I think it should be flat. I would be interested in your thoughts.

Kind regards,

Dutch

Just about the same point with my Roden 720B project.  Nice kit, not shake and bake but nice.  Mine will go in Continental.  By the way Dutch you should get one of the 720B kits, they are about $28 and offer some excellent options for your KC/EC-135 projects 

aircal62,

Thanks for that, but I need another kit(s) like I need another hole(s) in the head.  Really, for my C/EC/KC/NKC/RC/WC-135 builds, I think that I am set.  Tracy is doing a tremendous job with the Roden 720 kit, but at best, I could use the nose, and the outer engines only for J-57 powered C-135 variants, though I could use the JT3Ds as is from the 720B kit.  Even if I grafted a Minicraft KC-135 tanker tail to the Roden 720 fuselage & wings, price notwithstanding, I would still have to buy two or three kits to make one.  No sir, I will stick with the devils (Minicraft, Revell, Roden & Welsh) that I know, than with the devil (Roden 720) I do not know.  DrifterDon & I have figured that by gluing a backing plate inside the horizontal stab area of the Roden RC-135 kit, we can simply file & sand down the raised flat area until it is flush with the fuselage side for more accuracy.  I may get their straight tanker KC-135 A?E?R? kit when it is released.  Most likely an R, as they already have the engines done.  

Kind regards,

Dutch

4 hours ago, Dutch said:

DrifterDon & I have figured that by gluing a backing plate inside the horizontal stab area of the Roden RC-135 kit, we can simply file & sand down the raised flat area until it is flush with the fuselage side for more accuracy. 

I discovered on my second build that you do not need the backing plate inside the fuselage.   The plastic is thick enough that you just need to file and sand to get the correct shape. 

Great job on your 720 Tracy.   I have a couple in the stash.