Decided to start a separate post for the 1/72 Saturn I and IB I’ll be working on in conjunction with my 1/72 Saturn V.  Didn’t want everything to get too convoluted and such.

Saturn IB

Building out the Saturn IB was going to be a no-brainer for me seeing that most all of the work on the top half is already being done with the Saturn V build.  Like I posted earlier in my Saturn V thread I had an open weekend, so just decided to go for it and see if I could get a proper start on the first stage.  Completed most of the aft structure, but there are a few details to add.  Spent a fair amount of time on the fins and hold downs.  I think they came out pretty well – the hold downs are quite small, so I hope the detail holds when they’re printed. The H-1s, they need some work.  The exhaust ducts are totally hacked together.  I think I can do better.

screen-shot-2022-08-17-at-6.42.12-pm.png

Saturn 1 (SA-1)

I’ve always loved the the first Saturn 1 rockets, with the swoopy aerodynamic boat-tail. The thought of trying to render that thing in 3D was a little overwhelming but I gave it a go.  Took me three tries to get it close, but I’m pretty happy with the outcome.

screen-shot-2022-08-26-at-8.07.07-am.png

Next steps will be to design the tank clusters and their supporting structures.  Fortunately the configuration is similar for both models.

• 2 weeks later...

Saturn 1 (SA-1)

Really wanted to start printing some stuff and since there’s a ton of work still to do on the boat-tail I decided to start working on the pointy bits. I made it slightly more complicated than I was initially intending but it was actually a load of fun.  I discovered that all the block 1 Saturns utilized a Jupiter (PGM-19) nose cone and aft unit.  I couldn’t find any super clear photos on a Saturn so I just used images I found of the PGM-19 and kinda winged it.  Added all the obvious hatches and openings and I’ll admit they’re all a little more pronounced than they should be at this scale, but it doesn’t seem too offensive – about like adding some photo etch to the surface. I also got the dummy S-IV transition modeled and printed too.

img_4352.jpg

Just a quick test fit with a section of PVC acting as the dummy S-V stage. (It just so happens that 1 1/4” schedule 40 is has an O.D. of 1.66” – a perfect match for the 120” tank at 1/72 scale.)

img_4353.jpg

Still working out some details of the S-I stage but the main structure is pretty much modeled.  BTW, that tapered fairing coming off the boat-tail and over the eight tanks was a crazy bit of finagling.  I just hope it prints properly. 

screen-shot-2022-09-07-at-1.11.11-pm.png

screen-shot-2022-09-07-at-1.13.27-pm.png

John,

Never mind about the 3D software.  I was reviewing your Saturn V thread and found that you use Rhino 3D.  How is the learning curve?  I've been using Fusion 360 on and off for about a year and I'm still feel like I'm crawling toward novice competence.

Randy

Hi Randy,

I found picking up Rhino to be a kinda hit and miss affair.  I have a pretty a-typical workflow approach as I tend to do most of my drafting/drawing in Adobe Illustrator and then import bits and shapes as .dwg files into Rhino to model them out.  Having used Illustrator for over 30 years I find that to be the quickest, most efficient, way to go.  Those skills are pretty baked in and I've found that trying to draft out anything in Rhino, or any other drafting program, to be completely confounding.

BTW, I was looking over your SA-1 and SA-5 builds, they turned out amazingly.  I'm surely getting ahead of myself but it has me thinking that I'd really like a SA-5 at 1/72 scale too.

John,

Thanks for the insight.  I guess I'll try slugging my way through Fusion 360 a while longer.

Thanks for the view of my Saturn I builds.  I really think that SA-5 is some of my best work so far.  SA-10 is in the queue.  I'm following your Saturn threads and your 3D work is really good. I can't wait to see more.

Randy