MicroScale MicroSol

Greetings modelers. 

I’m having some trouble with the Bandai kit decals for the 1/144 Millennium Falcon.  The decals are on the thick side, however not terribly thick.  I can’t get most of them to conform to the little ones bumbs, humps, etc all over the model.  I have tried multiple applications of MicroSol, Solvaset, and even some Tamiya X20A thinner (flory mentioned using this.  I can’t find anyone mentioning problems with these decals nor has this been mentioned in any of the build videos I have seen. 
Questions… does MicroSol and Solvaset get old?  I’ve had both for at least a decade.  I have been back at this hobby for over a year and both products have worked perfectly as always on other projects. Is Mr Softer & Mr Setter any better?  Like light years better than the fore mentioned?   

Thanks in advance.  

Edited by NightHawk

In my experience, there are certain decal setting solutions that seem to work better with some decal manufactures and not others.  Some Japanese kit decals, like Tamiya and Hasegawa, are thicker and do not respond well to Micro Set/Sol, but work better with the Mark Fit from Tamiya or Mr. Mark Setter/Softer from Mr. Hobby.  The Mr. Hobby and Tamiya decal solutions use stronger chemicals and care must be taken to protect the model's paint, especially with the softening solution.

I have never had Micro Set/Sol go bad on me and my current bottles are 4+ years old.