1/72 Hasegawa F-35C: Why Not Yet?

I think its safe to say that the HAS F-35A/Bs are some of the best 1/72 kits out there.

Having said that, the trifecta is incomplete without the F-35C, which is the carrier version. 

Yeah, I understand that there are 1/72 F-35C kits out there, but don't really pass the "sniff test" with certain details. 

Any information on if HAS will do the F-35C? 

I built the Hasegawa F-35B in RN service.
I thought it yet another disapointing Hasegawa kit over all.

It goes together well, but there are no weapons bays which gives the impression it is a 2000 kit for 2022 money.

So if their F-35B is anything to go by then I really hope it isnt them who put out the only F-35C.

But as time goes by the F-35C will become more important to the USN so more manufacturers will make one.

14 hours ago, Captain Tyler said:

Any information on if HAS will do the F-35C? 

I don't think it is a matter of 'if' but more of 'when'. My bet will be an announcement during Shizuoka hobbyshow 2023 (May). 

I kept wondering the same. After F-35B, the C seemed like a formality. Especially, since a lot of the parts for the B are new tools. The A and B are so different, and I'm talking kitwise. Perhaps some other company? Italeri? The B seemed pretty nice.

Frankly though, You don't see them built up too often.

I'm not sure about the C, it would have to be a completely re-tooled kit again mostly.  Also, the fact AFAIK, there are no export versions, making its appeal limited I believe.  Just my opinion, but it seems like Hasegawa mostly does aircraft that have or will serve with JASDF.  

What did they release earlier? Wasn't it the Super Hornet line? Still, in 1/72 there weren't that many new models since 2000s. I believe before the F-35 it was the Osprey. I've seen more of these built than F-35s.

Looking at scalemates, there is apparently a new tool line of 1:12 figures.

I always thought they mostly did aircraft that were based in Japan. Hence the quick release of the F-35A and B.

The 1/72 scale F-35B was issued in 2018. The CV-22 was issued in 2013. As an aside, Xtradecal has just issued a new 1/72 sheet for F-35C. Som test jets but a few squadron birds. These will have to go on Orange Hobby kits for now.

Another thread turning into one of those 'Hasegawa is dead', where people only count the new aircraft kit releases without taking into account all the other things they release just like Tamiya focuses most of their profits on RC and 4WD and only release an aircraft kit once in a while but with tons more hype. Hasegawa has easily twice as many cars, ships, scifi and figure new releases compared to new aircraft.

Here are the new tool aircrafts prop or jet they have released since 2010 and yes they haven't released any new aircraft for the last 4 years.

1/72 F-35B 2018

1/72 Kawanishi H8K2 2017

1/32 Mitsubishi A6M5c 2016

1/72 F-35A 2014

1/72 Su-35 2014

1/32 Kawanishi N1K2-K Shidenkai 2013

1/72 MV-22 2013

1/200 Boeing 787-8 2012

1/72 Eurofighter Typhoon 2012

1/32 Mitsubishi J2M3 Raiden 2011

1/72 Su-33 2011

1/72 ju-188a 2010

The 1/48 F-22 is 2009 btw

Even Tamiya isn't immune from people declaring them dead because they haven't released any 1/48 jet in years, there was a thread like that a few years back, turning a blind eye and ignoring the fact a big chunk of their market is RC or they have been churning out new tool WWII prop aircrafts and tanks almost yearly.

Edited by Inquisitor

As a couple of folks have already pointed out, Hasegawa mainly focuses on their domestic market and are producing what sells well in Japan.  They have released dozens of new tool kits the last few years.  For aircraft they have focused on anime/sci-fi, such as the Macross series, and they also re-release many aircraft kits each year with different decal schemes.  

Trumpeter may be producing a lot more modern kits but their focus is on the latest fad and accuracy / fit is average.  Hasegawa products seem to focus more on quality and they just have a different business model.  Its like comparing Ford and Rolls Royce.

I wouldn't call Hasegawa dead, even by taking the "modern" 1/72 scale jets as a measure. Making a new kit is obviously not an easy task. I am kind of worried not a lot of F-35 A's and B's are being built. These are more "mainstream" versions, more operators, more schemes. And considering the list Inquisitor posted, there are only a couple new kits/year. So I hope this doesn't mean we will not get a -35C, just not now.

For what it's worth, I'm glad the reboxes, cars and anime stuff makes them float. Reboxes I keep buying. Only recently I got myself the F-20. I would've much preferred an F-35C.

But I mean, come on, when You see the "new" Hasegawa catalogue with a release of good old F-14A Atlantic Fleet boxing, don't tell me You don't smile a little bit. I wonder if they still have the original tooling, or they remake them every couple of years.