Colorful Hornets in 1/48th

Since no grey over white Hornets ever existed in real life (AFAIK), even in special livery:

any decal that seems to fit the kit would do. And that would be almost anything out there in 1/48.

Try any CAG Hornet decal sheets out there: always colorful, should work fine.

Just wondering, you ever tried an internet search before asking questions? Usually that gets most of the questions answered but for your convenience:

https://www.google.com/search?q=hornet+1%2F48+decals&rlz=1C1ASUM_enNL691NL691&ei=ef4NY5bNGcWvkwW95LDgAg&ved=0ahUKEwjW7eDBxO75AhXF16QKHT0yDCwQ4dUDCA4&uact=5&oq=hornet+1%2F48+decals&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAMyBggAEB4QFjIGCAAQHhAWMgUIABCGAzoFCAAQkQI6CwguEIAEEMcBENEDOgUIABCABDoFCC4QgAQ6BQguEJECOgcILhDUAhBDOgQILhBDOgQIABBDOgsILhCABBDHARCvAToICC4Q1AIQkQI6CgguEIAEENQCEAo6CAgAEIAEEMkDOgkIABAeEMkDEBY6CAgAEB4QFhAKOggIABAeEAgQDToFCCEQoAFKBAhBGABKBAhGGABQAFi0UmDYVGgCcAF4AIABbogB8AuSAQQxOC4ymAEAoAEBuAEDwAEB&sclient=gws-wiz

I hope you can be bothered to go through the non-colorful options provided in this search result though.

29 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

Asking questions here is literally an Internet search...................

Technically speaking yes, practically not. YMMV. And it is kind of hard to answer a question about something that doesn't exist in the first place. I tried to answer, obviously not appreciated (fill in as many periods as you like).

4 hours ago, Nebbor said:

Since no grey over white Hornets ever existed in real life (AFAIK), even in special livery:

any decal that seems to fit the kit would do. And that would be almost anything out there in 1/48.

Just wondering, you ever tried an internet search before asking questions? Usually that gets most of the questions answered but for your convenience:

https://www.google.com/search?q=hornet+1%2F48+decals&rlz=1C1ASUM_enNL691NL691&ei=ef4NY5bNGcWvkwW95LDgAg&ved=0ahUKEwjW7eDBxO75AhXF16QKHT0yDCwQ4dUDCA4&uact=5&oq=hornet+1%2F48+decals&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAMyBggAEB4QFjIGCAAQHhAWMgUIABCGAzoFCAAQkQI6CwguEIAEEMcBENEDOgUIABCABDoFCC4QgAQ6BQguEJECOgcILhDUAhBDOgQILhBDOgQIABBDOgsILhCABBDHARCvAToICC4Q1AIQkQI6CgguEIAEENQCEAo6CAgAEIAEEMkDOgkIABAeEMkDEBY6CAgAEB4QFhAKOggIABAeEAgQDToFCCEQoAFKBAhBGABKBAhGGABQAFi0UmDYVGgCcAF4AIABbogB8AuSAQQxOC4ymAEAoAEBuAEDwAEB&sclient=gws-wiz

I hope you can be bothered to go through the non-colorful options provided in this search result though.

Nebbor, your help as anybody's is much appreciated - please remember however you are not under obligation to reply. These fora are for asking questions and getting answwes to those questions. You are under no obligation to give feedback to my questions - if you do as I said this is much appreciated - judgementalism however is not.

Marc.

And thanks Nebbor and as hopefully we cleared the air do you mean the A's were gray over white but the C's and onwards were different tones of gray?

I'm wondering how much effort it would be to backdate the C to an A 'cos I really want to do a gray over white bird.

Thanks,

Marc.

Hi Nebbor, these appear to be mostly E variants though - the pleasure of internet searches eh? 🙂

12 minutes ago, serendip said:

And thanks Nebbor and as hopefully we cleared the air do you mean the A's were gray over white but the C's and onwards were different tones of gray?

I'm wondering how much effort it would be to backdate the C to an A 'cos I really want to do a gray over white bird.

Thanks,

Marc.

I'll repeat myself, this time with some emphasis: NO grey over white Hornets existed to my knowledge EVER. No A/B/C/D/E/F/G models, just NONE whatsoever. Must be your imagination, your imagination is unfortunately not catered by any aftermarket decal company that I know of.

The early F-18s were a 3 tone gray, the bottom color very close to white, 36495? i think.  Maybe that is what he Serendip is refering to; not the gull gray/white.  🤷‍♂️

Geoff M

4 minutes ago, Nebbor said:

I'll repeat myself, this time with some emphasis: NO grey over white Hornets existed to my knowledge EVER. No A/B/C/D/E/F/G models, just NONE whatsoever. Must be your imagination, your imagination is unfortunately not catered by any aftermarket decal company that I know of.

Thanks Geoff, and Nebbor I'm trying to be nice and not get into an infantile internet argument about this but as Geoff says early F-18's had white undersides, fins and flaps  to all intents and purposes, perhaps off-white but definatly not two or three tone gray.

Sarcasm does not compliment you and should be used carefully on the 'net.

Marc.

4 minutes ago, serendip said:

Thanks Geoff, and Nebbor I'm trying to be nice and not get into an infantile internet argument about this but as Geoff says early F-18's had white undersides, fins and flaps  to all intents and purposes, perhaps off-white but definatly not two or three tone gray.

Sarcasm does not compliment you and should be used carefully on the 'net.

Marc.

That scheme Geoff is refering to has no white at all as FS36495 is a grey as can be determined by the FS nomenclature (second digit is a 6 making it a grey. And that scheme is even not applicable to any C model Hornet as you required, stated in your OP. Only applicable for early Hornets, not C models.

So as I said earlier NO grey over white Hornet ever existed so your request cannot be answered. And if you refer to the early camouflage scheme is not applicable to C model Hornets anyway.

No sarcasm used at any time, realism used all the time.

12 minutes ago, serendip said:

VFA-125 in 1981 and Marine F-18's (E.G. Bu 161248) were pretty pale there on the undersides.

Marc.

It is hard to find a clear pic to illustrate the point, but I see what you mean.  I think this proves Geoff's point.  At that point, in the early 80s, I seem to remember there were very few colorful markings, so asking here for a suggestion was a great idea. I guess it will come down to when that paint scheme was phased out and when and if any colorful markings were applied to that scheme. 

This is the best I could find. 

MER-mk82SE-2.jpg.454ab23aabbd6f4f65dd606

Edited by Kurt H.
1 minute ago, Kurt H. said:

It is hard to find a clear pic to illustrate the point, but I see what you mean.  I think this proves Geoff's point.  At that point, in the early 80s, I seem to remember there were very few colorful markings, so asking here for a suggestion was a great idea. I guess it will come down to when that paint scheme was phased out and when and if any colorful markings were applied to that scheme. 

Thanks (almost) all for your friendly replies.

31 minutes ago, Nebbor said:

*cough*

https://airshowstuff.com/v4/2017/vfa-106-unveils-special-vfa-15-paint-scheme-for-2017-fa-18c-hornet-demonstrations/

15 minutes ago, Kurt H. said:

I've changed my mind as to the paint scheme - Nebbor, as Subject Matter Expert on all things this side of Alpha Centauri, I understand early USN F-18's were painted pink. Could you help, I can't find any references on the internet - thanks so much.

Marc.

1 minute ago, serendip said:

I've changed my mind as to the paint scheme - Nebbor, as Subject Matter Expert on all things this side of Alpha Centauri, I understand early USN F-18's were painted pink. Could you help, I can't find any references on the internet - thanks so much.

Marc.

Done answering your questions Serendip, have a nice day.

25 minutes ago, Nebbor said:

not white but grey undersides

Well, I'd call it white.  Especially if the idea is to mimic an A-7 scheme from the 1970s.  Interesting that they did the radome white and not tan - but then again, that's an A-7 feature too.

Back to the original question ... I plan to do exactly the same thing, and as the WHIF condition is If they'd never stopped using gull gray and white it can be applied to any Hornet.  So I've got Kinetic's F/A-18C, stock code 80321.  The options inside are:

• VFA-131 (red tails, red-white-and-blue band round the mid-fuselage, and a lot of red stencils)
  • VFA-195 (green tails with big eagle motif, green spine, black-blank-and-green checked band under LERX, grey stencils)
  • VFA-146 (blue chevron on tail with red-and-white bars for the wing codes, ragged stars-and-bars wrapped round the nose, grey stencils but blue NAVY titles and warning triangles

And all have full-colour national markings.  I reckon this makes a proper colourful gull gray and white scheme possible without buying any more decals, the only slight wrinkle being that you can't get proper black stencils.  It will certainly be easier than my other plan, an AV-8B in the same colours, for which I'll have rob from A-4s and A-6s.

Edited by pigsty