1:144 Jolly Roger decals for the F-4J Phantom II

Greetings Spares Box enthusiasts.  Since the Platz/F-Toys F-4 kits are so few and far between, I might have to source my F-4 kit and decals separately.  Much as I would have preferred to built the Platz - What's up with them anyhow, nothing's in stock? - F-4 kit, I can't find it anywhere.  Does anyone have a decal sheet that might have come from that kit or know of a source where I can look for a Jolly Roger set from VF-84?

I found the MYK set but it isn't available for sale via their link or the various dealers I've hunted.  Similar situation with Uprise, however I wasn't familiar with their set.  Again, the sellers links aren't listing this set as available.  And while I suppose I could write to Dimitry and ask to send direct post, I'm not sure the likelihood of my getting it shipped while the war is on. 

I'm already out a set of stencils (though not from Uprise) I happened to order a week before the invasion.  Tough luck so I'm gonna write that set off but it has me leery all the same. 

Hey Nebbor thanks a lot for your help searching.  I spun off that search and found a Sova-M F-4J kit and decal sheet from yKraft as well.  Purchases are on their way so wish me luck that I got good sellers. 

I haven't built the Sova kit before, but anything's better than the mountain of work I was about to get converting the awful Academy F-4E.  I have in my stash.  

What's up Dutch, you didn't like the Tomytec version? haha  You purist you. 😄

Now let's get some building before I jump down the VF-17 F4U rabbit hole.  The F-14 is done (https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate.php?id=69465&p=albums&album=88234) and the FA-18F is on the bench.

Edited by Cloud in the Wind
  • 1 month later...

@Cloud in the Wind,

You may want to research Liliput Air Force from Japan.  They offer a short nose F-4B/C/D/J/K/MN/S nose conversion for any of the numerous F-4E kits available. BTW, I just noticed that they have an announcement that decal prices increase 3 Nov, tomorrow! They have numerous F-4B/J/N/S decal options, but sadly no VF-84.

Alternately, you could buy a Sova-M F-4J kit for about $15 plus shipping from Hannants.co.uk.  You would still need the VF-84 decals, though.

Sorry, can't be of more help.

Dutch

Oh, BTW. My Chinese 1/144 decal order arrived today, (I totally forgot about this order.), including a double F-4J sheet with markings for VF-84 Jolly Rogers [AE] and VMFA-451 Warlords [AA]. I will be using the Warlords portion, so you are welcome to the Jolly Roger's portion (inside red line). No instructions came with the decals, but you can probably figure it out. 

K/r, 

Dutch

VF-84.JPG.da949dd6f325a30d7c4f85d2dd08c28c.JPG

Edited by Dutch

Thanks so much for the offer Dutch. You're great.  But, I wish I hadn't missed your note from earlier this week.  I actually did find and purchase the Sova-M kit and pickup up a set of Ykraft decals too.  There's quite a bit of flash on the Sova parts, so I'm gathering my breath before diving in.  Tracking my project on scalemates (https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate.php?id=69465&p=projects&project=130138).

I also just found a F4U kit from AFV.  Should come in a couple weeks!  That'll be next.

2 hours ago, Cloud in the Wind said:

Thanks so much for the offer Dutch. You're great.  But, I wish I hadn't missed your note from earlier this week.  I actually did find and purchase the Sova-M kit and pickup up a set of Ykraft decals too.  There's quite a bit of flash on the Sova parts, so I'm gathering my breath before diving in.  Tracking my project on scalemates (https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate.php?id=69465&p=projects&project=130138).

I also just found a F4U kit from AFV.  Should come in a couple weeks!  That'll be next.

I was thinking of picking up several Sova-M F-4J kits from Hannants.  Is the kit plastic really that bad?  How is the canopy? Is it clear? How about the decals? 

Otherwise, I will get several 1/144 F-4E cheap and scab on the Liliput F-4B/C/D/J/K/M/N/S nose. It's about the same cost.

Thanks for the heads up.  Sorry I couldn't help this time.  Ooh! I just saw your SCM albums.  VERY nice work!

K/r,

Dutch

There was a time when I felt that I could judge, but I think I've realized that I have a fairly limited experience.  Still, I had pretty poor opinions of the Academy F-4E kit having built out a couple Trumpeter and newer Revell 144 kits.  That kit looks much improved in comparison to the Sova-M.  Maybe it'll come together well and the flash can be forgiven.  But these pics might better explain why I'm "taking a breath" and gathering strength before beginning.

Of worthy note are the main gear bays ... a lot of work ahead to clean that up. Note also that the tail parts are completely sealed, I'll have to drill those slots out.  The canopy is almost completely devoid of detail.  For comparison I placed the Academy frame beside. 

IMG_2734.thumb.JPG.b3f8584472eaf71e35167ef5a28a9b8c.JPGIMG_2733.thumb.JPG.ba93557062c88a293b6f1c3f2b10b279.JPGIMG_2732.thumb.JPG.38422c678361bc969998b0f4566ea62f.JPGIMG_2731.thumb.JPG.8a57487328a9b98ce47d67d45abb01dc.JPGIMG_2730.thumb.JPG.6f746c4b70a7295cbb24a07dc57d47f3.JPGIMG_2729.thumb.JPG.7d1a7b73223920283c870f0c04ce1ac4.JPGIMG_2728.thumb.JPG.3156fb43e219fbf0359e6d0eb79ee7de.JPGIMG_2727.thumb.JPG.56083e643cab52250bd4c15d65123363.JPG

Yikes!  Thanks for sharing these photos.  I am so glad I removed the Sova-M kits from my Hannants cart before placing my order earlier today.  I have 4 of the Liliput Air Force 3D printed short-nose conversions coming, so that should do fine on a Otaki/LS/Academy/Revell F-4E/F/EJ Phantom.  Just the canopy alone is enough to warn me off.  The plastic looks soft, is it?  The missiles look absolutely awful. I am sorry for suggesting the kit now.    

I haven't put a knife to it yet.  The sprue didn't get marked when I pressed it with a fingernail.  Soft I think I could deal with, but if its brittle, well then I think I'd have to throw in the towel and I'll look forward to hearing about your lilput conversion.

Still, its next on my bench, I'll let you know.

Good price on that, but I'm going to pass.  I've sunk enough down the Phantom rabbit hole as it is. 

You know, in my notes from my Squadron/Signal reference book, I thought I'd commented that the F-4J didn't all have the slots or the RWR receivers right away.  However, now double checking, the pics from this squadron seem to all have 'em.  I suppose I could make the receivers out of putty.  Have to test it out.  

I've started both the Sova and the Academy kits together.  The panel lines on the Slov are attractive, even if I'm going to have to re-scribe them once I sand and prime.  So far, they are both kind of pigs.  I don't know what I'm going to do about the cockpits.  :sigh:  And I am definitely working toward having the F-4E with wheels up.  My terrible F-15 is shown that way too so it kind of puts 'em in the same class. 

BTW, I picked the AFV Club F4U kit last week.  So I'm kind of biting at the bit to roll these phantoms off the workbench and make room for something a bit more pleasurable!

Edited by Cloud in the Wind