49 minutes ago, pminer said:

Been reading about the CH-53K being delivered now to the Marine Corps and the Navy. AWESOME helo! 
I’m kinda smelling a new release either from Revell or Academy. Any thoughts on this? Thanks! 

Are you talking about 1/48 scale?  Very unlikely that Revell would do it.  The ancient one they did was the earlier twin engined Sea Stallion, and they would have to make a completely new mold to make the 3 engined King Stallion (or Super Stallion).  For Academy, even though they did the Super Stallion/Sea Dragon, a LOT of changes to make a King kit from the Super kit.  Different engines, cockpit, sponsons, rotor hub and blades, and the cabin is 1 ft wider.  Again, basically a new tool kit.

I don’t see either company doing it.

Possibly Academy would in 1/48 but it won’t be any time soon. I think it’s more likely they would rerelease the Echo kit before another new helo. 

More likely a 1/72 kit and that will probably be a Echo kit with some extra bits and called good enough. 

I look forward to be proven wrong by a kit manufacturer. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well,

A year ago I would've said you were right Tank, but seeing a 1/35th scale release of a CH-47, sort of blew me away.  It makes the 1/48th scale Academy CH-53E look small, and we all know the real thing ain't small!!

So a 1/48th scale or even a 1/35th scale CH-53K is not out of the question at all.  One can hope and pray, but we will will see, as it will be a mountain of plastic in that box.  a 1/72 CH-53K may serve as a market test to see if a larger scale would do well, I think it would, but I am way biased!!

Certainly, you CAN NOT re-release a 1/72 scale CH-53E and add the bits and pieces to call it a Kilo variant.  They are completely different aircraft.  The only thing the CH-53E and the CH-53K have in common is red hydraulic fluid and nitrogen in the tires.  (OK, they do each have 7 blades, but boy are the blades different).  Watching the Kilo go from a paper design to the Ground Test Vehicle light off in West Palm Beach, made me a believer in the two variants are nothing alike.

The elastomeric rotorhead alone is a behemoth of machined titanium and aluminum......its jaw dropping when you actually go up the sponson and look at the darn thing up close.  The PCR's are as big as your arms!

Anyways, if they can do a CH-47 Chinook in 1/35th, some one can certainly do a CH-53E/K in 1/48th or even 1/35th!!

fingers crossed!

Semper Fi Tank!!  Ohh Rah

Gunny Dan

1 hour ago, YF65_CH53E said:

Certainly, you CAN NOT re-release a 1/72 scale CH-53E and add the bits and pieces to call it a Kilo variant.  They are completely different aircraft. 

Gunny, 

You know that, I know that but what I have seen from some companies at 1/72 scale, will think they can. Hope I am wrong.

Just start with a block of balsa approx. 14" long 3.5 " wide and 5" high and just carve, chisel, and sand away everything that doesn't look like a CH-53K. Then you can work on adding the rotors, undercarriage and IFR boom. 🤪

Edited by Dutch