Eduard/Zvezda Mi-24 Special Edition in 1/48 - That's a wrap!

On 9/3/2022 at 2:14 PM, Tank said:

Not a bad video, thanks for sharing. I got the same deal and cause it was reduced I bought the Eduard rivet set talked about on here from https://www.super-hobby.com/products/Mi-24V-positive-rivets-surface-details-ZVEZDA.html

Thanks very much - I just can't bring myself to drop that kind of coin for model rivets. I hope to see yours when you get those rivets on!

John

I get that. For me the complexity of the Hind rivets and the time spent figuring something out for me as a slow builder was worth the effort. Honestly if not for the sale I wouldn’t have gotten the kit. I have the 1/72 range unbuilt. I will probably sale off the 1/32 and 1/48 kits in a few years haven’t built any of them.

Look forward to seeing your next video. 

• jgrease changed the title to Eduard/Zvezda Mi-24 Special Edition in 1/48 - now with completed engines!

John,

Very nice update. I like how the engine turned out and might be nice to have at least one door open to show off but also in that vein some small seam clean up on only the outward side would have helped. Not sure how that extra time aligns with the channel goals. 👍

22 hours ago, Tank said:

John,

Very nice update. I like how the engine turned out and might be nice to have at least one door open to show off but also in that vein some small seam clean up on only the outward side would have helped. Not sure how that extra time aligns with the channel goals. 👍

I'll have to revisit the sides of the engine assemblies and check seams. Thanks for the heads up!

John

• 3 weeks later...
  • jgrease changed the title to Eduard/Zvezda Mi-24 Special Edition in 1/48 - Fuselage assembled and riveted!
On 9/27/2022 at 8:25 PM, Tank said:

It is looking good and while some might not agree it is method for some and their project it may work for others. 

Thanks very much - I just can't bring myself to pay $105 for rivets so the Micro Mark rivets were just what I needed. Honestly I'd like to build another one.

John

4 hours ago, jgrease said:

I just can't bring myself to pay $105

I get that, use the link I posted to Super Hobby, for much less for the set. I have used them many times. Good company and “fast” service to the US. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • jgrease changed the title to Eduard/Zvezda Mi-24 Special Edition in 1/48 - That's a wrap!

John,

Nice build. Seems most of those issues could be addressed in a next build.

Master does have set for the Hind but it is not fully metal.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/master-am-48-126-mi-24-hind-d-e-jakb-127-machine-gun-barrel-and-duas-probe--1018954

There is a single piece canopy available.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/mlh-bring-it-444-mil-mi-24v-vp-vacuformed-canopy--1303671

With the flare strap it’s interesting the kit suggests it goes all the way around but the Eduard D conversion set suggests it does not. https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/6/0/6/1397606-66-instructions.pdf

What is the next project?

Edited by Tank

I've got the plain jane Zvezda kit arriving today or tomorrow - still plenty of CzAF decals and the IPs from the Eduard box, so there will be another one in the future after I get the gun barrels. I might attempt an in-flight one...

Next project on the channel is either a 1/32 MiG-19 or a partially-completed 1/48 AMK F-14D.

John

Hi John,

Just a note to add to the build. The Falanga missiles are not exactly right!

Unfortunately often the Eduard instructions are far from perfect and really clear. They don’t tell you in most cases what is part of the casting block, so unless one has a closer look at references there could be a mistake.

The shape of the missile fins was very strange, you have left on the casting parts. Don’t know if you still have a chance to correct them, but it could be a warning to others doing the same mistake.

6YxenZ4.jpg

Here is an image of the Falanga missile from the separate missile set that Eduard offers. Here the true shape of the fins is clearly visible as well as the 2 tracers at the base of the fin. Now they are NOT part of the casting block but they are part of the actual missile and should be left on it!

QaeqiQl.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

17 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

The shape of the missile fins was very strange, you have left on the casting parts. Don’t know if you still have a chance to correct them, but it could be a warning to others doing the same mistake.

Here is an image of the Falanga missile from the separate missile set that Eduard offers. Here the true shape of the fins is clearly visible as well as the 2 tracers at the base of the fin. Now they are NOT part of the casting block but they are part of the actual missile and should be left on it!

Best regards

Gabor

Thanks very much Gabor! I am going to try and clip those pieces off. I guess I'll find out how durable the CA was...

John

2 hours ago, jgrease said:

Thanks very much Gabor! I am going to try and clip those pieces off. I guess I'll find out how durable the CA was...

John

Hi John,

I have to admit that with those "flaring" fins (as on your kit) the Falanga missiles looks so much better!  : )  : )

Good luck with your work removing them! It is not going to be easy.

And I have to say how sorry I am on behalf of Eduard (although I have no connection to them), but I come across the same problem on other Edu products where they don’t really tell you what should not belong there and only a technical support for resin casting or 3D printing.

Guess this is what you get when design and production is rushed through to get it out on the market as soon as possible.

Best regards

Gabor