T-39D Sabreliner Questions

Can anyone answer a couple of questions about the Navy’s T-39 Sabreliner, specifically the “D” model?

1) What is this on the right rear fuselage, and can anyone point me to a good picture of it?

387E8DB0-3543-464B-B4B8-FC1B2B3C6419.thumb.jpeg.dcf839acb56f46501e79f189c447abf2.jpeg

2) On the “D” models, the speed brake was red on the inner surface (the N and G models seem to have been white). My question is, is the speedbrake well also red? Anyone know of any photos of the well?

C54CBF26-F468-4C4D-BDDD-B2D7D91D6F96.thumb.jpeg.9750b6425a41184a03800ee4fc75eefc.jpeg

Edited by bluedot25
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Dutch said:

Did you notice that the strata blue pickup has "ODGE" on the tailgate! Much whimsical! Very flattery! So un-Japanese spelling!

Looks like you survived Ian OK then, "utch"? :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, Dutch said:

Did you notice that the strata blue pickup has "ODGE" on the tailgate! Much whimsical! Very flattery! So un-Japanese spelling!

That shot is of the transient ramp at a USAF base (the blue truck gives that away)... “ODGE” is an acronym for “Operations Division Ground Equipment”. The number “1”  identifies the truck’s fleet number...  (OK... I totally made that up..!) 😜

On 10/1/2022 at 4:50 PM, bluedot25 said:

That shot is of the transient ramp at a USAF base (the blue truck gives that away)... “ODGE” is an acronym for “Operations Division Ground Equipment”. The number “1”  identifies the truck’s fleet number...  (OK... I totally made that up..!) 😜

Have you never heard of the "DOGE?"

DOGE.JPG.5c1c771b5a497cb22d2a74dc69d6f5ad.JPG

Edited by Dutch

As the T-39D was primarily used by the Navy as a radar/navigation trainer, and presumably had consoles with radar screens in the main cabin, I'd suggest that the item in 1) was the housing for a heat exchanger to aid in cooling that equipment...

A few alternative (and enlargeable) views showing it:

50029028676_0ccc34e5ed_o.jpg

6162348603_d6a1bdd7db_o.jpg

51790099368_8349d0e72d_o.jpg

44666574155_c3ff0160fd_o.jpg

Andrew,

Your first pic is a nice one, even shows a P-3B Orion 153433 marked LY-12 of VP-92 Minutemen circa 1984-88, when it changed to LY-33.  It was modified into a UP-3B and transferred to VQ-1 as PR-44 in 1991 before ending up at AMARC.  Bravo! 

As to the heat exchanger idea, I don't know.  It only has a small air scoop on the front end and a medium size exhaust at the rear.  It is offset to starboard though, that much is clear.  

K/r,

Dutch

Edited by Dutch
1 hour ago, Dutch said:

As to the heat exchanger idea, I don't know.  It only has a small air scoop on the front end and a medium size exhaust at the rear.  It is offset to starboard though, that much is clear.  

K/r,

Dutch

Isn't a shaped scoop/inlet simply an aerodynamic feature?

U-2 oil cooler intakes, for example:

u2-42.jpg

E-3B Sentry rear fuselage with separate flush 'exhaust' below - E-6 Mercury and E-8 JSTARS have similar features:

Boeing-E-3B-Sentry-00119.jpg

Classic example - P-51 Mustang oil cooler inlet with 'square' profile waste gate:

P-51_small2.jpg

Andrew, Upon closer inspection in Zoom function (sorry, I cannot zoom on my other computer), in fact it does appear to be a heat exchanger. Thank you for the benefit of your wisdom. K/r, Dutch

Edited by Dutch