Another Bell H-13 (Model 47) question

While perusing the internet searching for info on training aircraft I came across this interesting site https://usafhpa.org/schoolhist/histschool.htm in the text they include these 2 pictures of Bell H-13 helicopters

Image58.jpg

Image59.jpg

But there is no mention of which model H-13 they are. Based on the shape of the door opening and the shape of the bubble I would guess an H-13C, D or E model(?) Can any of you experts confirm or correct this? Also what colors would these be in the early 50's; OD, yellow, something else?

Thanks

Howard

Edited by hsr

The ships are H-13D or Es. Externally identical. The Cs usually did not have the uncovered tail boom or skids.

They are the U.S. Military variant of the Bell 47D-1 airframe.

The D-1 had the straight back door edge. The Bell 47G series and it's many military versions, had the characteristic hump.

I asked a well known Bell test pilot, former military H-13 pilot,  historian and author why there was a change. He replied he did not knoe, some guess it was added when the Army began arming the type by placing MGs stop the skids. Such plates would keep the spent brass from entering the cabin.

That is the only explanation I Have ever heard.

In the Bell 47 parts manual, the curved pieces are separate parts added to the basic cabin structure, so that explanation makes sense.

Why they would add them to the civil versions is anyone's guess.

My unofficial guess is that it does provide some cover for the pilot's (left) side collective control, helping keep the pilot's hand out of the slipstream when the doors are removed.

As a former D-1 and G pilot, that makes some sense.

The photos indicate they were taken at San Marcos, Texas. That was the U.S. Air Force helicopter training  school back in the 50s.

The USAF did operate a few H-13 D/E and G/H models.

As training ships they could have been yellow orange. I have  seen a couple of H-13 local base rescue craft painted that color. In the early '50s, many AF rescue aircraft were painted that color (most often seen in Sikorsky H-5s check out the color photo of the restored example at the USAF Museum) and rarely on H-19s see the rescue scene in the film , The McConnell Story)..

Barring that, they likely would have been Army OD or even AF blue.

Edited by JohnEB