LANTIRN AN/AAQ-13 Navigation Pod

I know the LANTIRN targeting pod has been superseded by LITENING and SNIPER.  But the nav pod seems like it's always stayed the same.  Is this still the same pod that was introduced in the late '80s?  Has it been through any upgrades?  I would think as a minimum it would need some updates just to replace out of production obsolete parts.   

Also is the nav pod still in use at all for Block 40 F-16s?  I seem to only see modern F-15Es with the pod.

The modern Litening and Sniper pods also have navigation embedded, removing the need for the AN/ANQ-13. The USAF F-15E carries it for weight balance from what I understand. 

The only country I know who carries it is Turkey on their Block 50+ delivered ~2009ish. 

The purpose of AN/AAQ-13 Navigation Pod is for low altitude terrain following navigation.  It's primary sensor is a terrain following radar.  I would guess that unless terrain following radar functionality has been integrated into the primary radar system, this pod is still required for low level penetration.

Edited by sigtau
7 hours ago, Niels said:

Not really, as they usually attack from minimum medium height. 

"Usually" doesn't equate to "always", which is why F-15Es can be seen training for low level penetration attacks in the Mach Loop and in Star Wars Canyon.

And your statement about F-15Es carrying it for only for ballast doesn't hold water.  Lightning and Sniper pods do NOT contain terrain following radars.  The AN/AAQ-13 is still actively used:

10 hours ago, sigtau said:

And your statement about F-15Es carrying it for only for ballast doesn't hold water.  Lightning and Sniper pods do NOT contain terrain following radars.  

I never said Lightening and Sniper had terrain following radar. I said they had navigation embedded in the pod, which is totally different. 

I don't know how well GPS does with terrain avoidance, and in my experience both LITENING and Sniper rely on the host aircraft for the navigation data.  I think we've become accustomed to medium altitude employment from many years of permissive environments...anything more challenging may drive the Strike Eagles low again, hence training such as the Mach Loop.

To the original question, I'm not aware of any upgrades, and haven't seen a nav pod on a Block 40/42 in many years.

Chris