1/72nd Boeing Skyfox

Here is the first print of my new Boeing Skyfox! The Skyfox was an idea from the 1980's to give new life to the venerable T-33 shooting star by converting them to Skyfoxes. Boeing saw the potential and purchased marketing and production rights for the conversion. Although Portugal was interested in 20 units, no other country showed any interest, and Boeing cancelled the project with only the prototype produced.  The prototype was given fake USAF markings and used in a Episode of Airwolf as well. The Prototype skyfox was converted from Former RCAF CT-133 Silver Star RCAF21160. It was converted and first flown in 1983. It now resides in the Palm Springs Air Museum. 

Below is the first test print of the kit. It also comes with 3D printed clear parts (not shown, waiting on clear resin delivery) as well as decals for 2 paint schemes of N221SF. 

IMG_1970.jpg

Boeing Skyfox.png

3 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

@Gene K, didn’t you fly the Skyfox or am I thinking of someone else?

Yes, Ben --  just one sortie. The Boeing demo pilot let me fly front seat when the company was making its promotional round through Tinker AFB ... 1987, I think.  Was a fun flight with an easy to fly, very stable, but highly maneuverable aircraft. However, overall capability wasn't that impressive (I had flown an airplane with a similar configuration - the Warthog, so no contest there). But it could have been a good trainer.

I passed on the Sharkit model back in 2018 because of cost, but jumped on this one. Would make a nice display next to a T-33!

Gene K

Edited by GeneK
14 minutes ago, Charlie D. said:

That looks awesome! Always likes the look of the sky fox in the Lizard scheme. Any chance on scaling it up to 1/48? I just can’t do 1/72 anymore with my eyesight.

Not at the moment, but If I expand to offer 1/48th, I absolutely will.

16 hours ago, GeneK said:

Yes, Ben --  just one sortie. The Boeing demo pilot let me fly front seat when the company was making its promotional round through Tinker AFB ... 1987, I think.  Was a fun flight with an easy to fly, very stable, but highly maneuverable aircraft. However, overall capability wasn't that impressive (I had flown an airplane with a similar configuration - the Warthog, so no contest there). But it could have been a good trainer.

I passed on the Sharkit model back in 2018 because of cost, but jumped on this one. Would make a nice display next to a T-33!

Gene K

I thought so! Funny how I can remember something airplane-related that someone told me years ago, but I can’t remember where my car keys are or what I had for dinner last night. 🤣

Ben

4 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

...  I can’t remember where my car keys are or what I had for dinner last night. 🤣

Must be a pilot thing.

Has anyone seen more of, or know more on, the markings on the Boeing T-33 in the family portrait below? Nice picture here, but doesn't show the vert stab markings.

Gene K

skyfox-8.jpg

Edited by GeneK
Add photo
44 minutes ago, habu2 said:

Are those vortex strakes on the top of the stbd engine nacelle? 

I couldn't find any other pictures (camo or marketing guise)  that show those "thingees" ... but I lean toward Slartibartfast's suggestion of air flow studies.

Maybe one of the T-33 pilots on this forum can comment on the front cockpit:

5fpXlFx.jpg

Gene K

Skyfox 5.JPG

15 hours ago, GeneK said:

Must be a pilot thing.

Has anyone seen more of, or know more on, the markings on the Boeing T-33 in the family portrait below? Nice picture here, but doesn't show the vert stab markings.

Gene K

I posted the photo over on Hyperscale. There are a couple of guys there who seem to know a lot about Boeing chase planes.

Ben

Well, yes. I broke my printer that I use for clear printing, but I have a friend printing the clear parts on his, while I get mine fixed. Should be shipping the first 4 skyfox orders as soon as those come in. Waiting on decals to arrive for the most recent two Skyfox orders.

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, X-Plane Fan said:

I just received my kit and the parts appear to be well-designed and nicely cast. My kit appears to be missing a few small parts ... .

I also received my kit (yesterday) and was astounded (blown away) by the high quality of the 3D printing. Very well done! :clap2: What resin and printer are you using, Orion?

As for the small parts, I also had some loose parts and empty supports, but since there are no instructions, I am unsure where most of those tiny parts would/will go.

Lastly, the shipping packaging was very good, but I suggest Orion wrap loose parts separately to keep them from rubbing against each other in transit.

Again - a very well designed, and perfectly 3D printed model that I'm looking forward to building. Great job, Orion.:clap2:

Gene K

2 hours ago, GeneK said:

I also received my kit (yesterday) and was astounded (blown away) by the high quality of the 3D printing. Very well done! :clap2: What resin and printer are you using, Orion?

As for the small parts, I also had some loose parts and empty supports, but since there are no instructions, I am unsure where most of those tiny parts would/will go.

Lastly, the shipping packaging was very good, but I suggest Orion wrap loose parts separately to keep them from rubbing against each other in transit.

Again - a very well designed, and perfectly 3D printed model that I'm looking forward to building. Great job, Orion.:clap2:

Gene K

Thanks! I am working on a parts list and exploded view for the model, and will send it via email when its done. 

I actually have three printers, but the gray parts were printed on my new Phrozen Sonic Mega 8K printer. I also have a Formlabs Form2 and an Anycubic Mono 4K that I use for clear parts. 

On 10/12/2022 at 11:59 AM, Orion Field said:

I am working on a parts list and exploded view for the model, and will send it via email when its done. 

Here is the exploded view I was sent in pdf format - great. Posted here as png:

Gene Kvts1wry.png

Gene K