1/72 P-8A Poseidon

This kit is ready for release. All USN Patrol Squadrons at NAS Jacksonville, and NAS Whidbey Island are now fully equipped and deploying with the P-8, lots of international operators currently and in the future = loads of marking options.
Get out ahead of this one!

306672260_3352032598407793_2522550838974325323_n.jpeg

283782095_5246290352075845_1275926747538423866_n.jpeg

In that case, could I request RNoAF P-8A Poseidon #9582 "Vingtor," #9583 "Viking," and/or #9584 "Ulabrand?" You could use several of the same markings for RNoAF P-3C #3298 "Viking," #3296 "Vingtor" & #3299 "Ulabrand" of 333 Skv "Saints."

Edited by Dutch
On 9/15/2022 at 7:57 AM, bashace said:

We have a bunch of those P-8's parked here at Indianapolis Intl Airport all the time, wonder if this is a servicing facility for them?

Yes, AAR Services has a contract to do maintenance (heavy checks, likely) for the P-8 fleet. In the past, the Navy would have an established depot level maintenance facility to do in depth calendar inspections, and servicing of their aircraft but in recent years those types of heavy maintenance checks have been contracted out to civilian facilities with the work force to do it.

On 9/15/2022 at 9:24 PM, Dutch said:

Wow! Those BPK RAAF 11 Sqn and USN VX-1 decals look really good!

Just be aware, half the roos are going the wrong way for the RAAF jets, and if doing the RAAF 100 tail art option (A47-012) decals for only one side of the tail are supplied (should have 2 sets of tail markings). 

Edited by Trojan Thunder
23 hours ago, Trojan Thunder said:

Just be aware, half the roos are going the wrong way for the RAAF jets, and if doing the RAAF 100 tail art option (A47-012) decals for only one side of the tail are supplied (should have 2 sets of tail markings). 

Brother Ray!  I defer to your expert knowledge of all things down under.  I was commenting more on the apparent quality of the decals and didn't look too closely at the markings, RAAF or USN.  Just a cursory look to see if they were all there.  But now that I take another look, you are correct.  I often wonder what kit manufacturers are thinking sometimes.  Keep up the outstanding work!  I bet that you will be getting one of these kits soon!  K/r, Dutch

Edited by Dutch
18 hours ago, Trojan Thunder said:

Just be aware, half the roos are going the wrong way for the RAAF jets.

Aren't the roos going the wrong way because you guys are on the bottom the planet?   The Coriolis effect or something?

Edited by AD-4N
On 9/21/2022 at 8:49 AM, Dutch said:

Brother Ray!  I defer to your expert knowledge of all things down under.  I was commenting more on the apparent quality of the decals and didn't look too closely at the markings, RAAF or USN.  Just a cursory look to see if they were all there.  But now that I take another look, you are correct.  I often wonder what kit manufacturers are thinking sometimes.  Keep up the outstanding work!  I bet that you will be getting one of these kits soon!  K/r, Dutch

Brother Dutch,

I also has a cursory look at the sheet and thought it looked rather nice, and then noticed the anomalies.

I'll just leave this here...

72_P-8A_11SQN_148

....and you're welcome 😄

I would like to do a USN P-8, so yes a BPK kit may be the way

7 hours ago, AD-4N said:

Aren't the roos going the wrong way because you guys are on the bottom the planet?   The Coriolis effect or something?

Australia 1982- - Copy

:OMG-OMG:

5 hours ago, KursadA said:

I actually had a Post-it that said "half of the kangaroos face the other way" on my design computer's monitor a few years back when I designed a series of RAAF sheets 🙂

A very common sense approach Kursad, that's why you sheets are so good! 😄

Edited by Trojan Thunder
46 minutes ago, Trojan Thunder said:

Brother Dutch,

I also has a cursory look at the sheet and thought it looked rather nice, and then noticed the anomalies.

I'll just leave this here...

72_P-8A_11SQN_148

....and you're welcome 😄

I would like to do a USN P-8, so yes a BPK kit may be the way

Australia 1982- - Copy

:OMG-OMG:

A very common sense approach Kursad, that's why you sheets are so good! 😄

Wooo! Nice work! What kit is that Ray?  I'm a bit disappointed that there is no weapons bay option of the BPK kit but I imagine aftermarket will fill the void.

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

Ray, off the top rope! 😄

Wow! I just scanned through the whole album. Beautiful build.

1 hour ago, 82Whitey51 said:

Wooo! Nice work! What kit is that Ray?  I'm a bit disappointed that there is no weapons bay option of the BPK kit but I imagine aftermarket will fill the void.

Thanks guys, it's the Welsh Models kit with a lot of modifications finished last year. 

51096223024_9f6b1f9b86_b.jpg

Edited by Trojan Thunder
10 hours ago, Trojan Thunder said:

Thanks guys, it's the Welsh Models kit with a lot of modifications finished last year. 

Very cool!
For a short time I worked for Boeing here at Pax River as a line maintainer of the three initial Navy jets. We spent a few days fit testing various torpedo load configurations in that weapons bay.

I actually just saw my first P-8 in the last hour - heard engines whilst bringing in laundry from out on the line, and looked up...

....saw what appeared to be a drab, grey 737 on approach to Newquay - and thought it was very nondescript for an airliner...

....interest piqued, wandered in and pulled up ADS-B Exchange - and discovered it was actually one of the RAF's Poseidons!

3 hours ago, andyf117 said:

I actually just saw my first P-8 in the last hour - heard engines whilst bringing in laundry from out on the line, and looked up...

....saw what appeared to be a drab, grey 737 on approach to Newquay - and thought it was very nondescript for an airliner...

....interest piqued, wandered in and pulled up ADS-B Exchange - and discovered it was actually one of the RAF's Poseidons!

Andy, 

I understand that all the RAF Poseidons will be stationed up at Lossiemouth. But it's not so strange when you consider that Newquay, aka RAF St. Mawgan, was home to the Nimrods of No. 42 Torpedo Bomber Squadron, n'est pas?  I still use my USMC Security Force Coy St. Mawgan bar towel every day in my lunch pail.  One of these days I will build my Formaplane 1/72 Nimrod MR.2 of 42 Sqn using the photos I took of XV242.  I can see that I probably "need" to get one of these BPK P-8A kits also.

Semper fidelis!

Dutch

16 hours ago, Trojan Thunder said:

Very nicely done! How was the Welsh Models kit? I was thinking of picking up their Wedgetail kit. Thanks, Fred K.

5 hours ago, f5guy said:

Very nicely done! How was the Welsh Models kit? I was thinking of picking up their Wedgetail kit. Thanks, Fred K.

Thanks Fred, there is a bit of work. The plastic is thin and you ned to pin the resin tail planes and vertical stab. The kit is basic and some parts are incorrectly shaped, I corrected them and added stuff missed by Welsh. I also have the Welsh Wedgetail to build one day, I hear BPK will be releasing a Wedgetail as well some time.

4 hours ago, Trojan Thunder said:

Thanks Fred, there is a bit of work. The plastic is thin and you ned to pin the resin tail planes and vertical stab. The kit is basic and some parts are incorrectly shaped, I corrected them and added stuff missed by Welsh. I also have the Welsh Wedgetail to build one day, I hear BPK will be releasing a Wedgetail as well some time.

I hadn't heard about the BPK Wedgetail, though I have suggested it to Aleksey at BPK on a few occasions. I think I'll just wait then. Thanks, Fred.