Hmmmm, Meng 1/48 F-4G?

Are there major external, cockpit, or ordnance differences between SEA, Euro I, and Hill Gray camo F-4Gs? For instance, is a SEA possible given the above Meng box? ZM offers the Euro I scheme which is also nice. 

Edited by Janissary
4 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

Their F-35 and Super Hornets are in the same series.

All Meng 1/48 kits so far with the exception of their weapons kits (called SPS-xxx by Meng) have this LS-xxx series nomenclature so far, not only F-35 or Super Hornets. LS-015 fills the gap between the announced LS-014 EA-18G and LS-016 F/A-18F Bounty Hunters kit just fine.

1 hour ago, spang said:

If the idea of the Box art, his a Desert Storm aircraft, that's wrong. 
The AF69-232 fly with 81st/52TFW of Spangdahlem with Tail Code SP.

With WA markings, many years after DS.

There is nothing that states or implies it's from ODS. Those markings were carried during OSW in 96 though. 

1 hour ago, spang said:

If the idea of the Box art, his a Desert Storm aircraft, that's wrong. 
The AF69-232 fly with 81st/52TFW of Spangdahlem with Tail Code SP.

With WA markings, many years after DS.

According to Wikipedia operation Desert Storm was from august 1990 to january 1991. Please define "many years", here is a photograph of 69-7232 in WA markings in september 1993 (2.5 years after the end of operation Desert Storm), taken just a few miles down the road of Spangdahlem:

https://www.airfighters.com/photo/253098/M/USA-Air-Force/McDonnell-Douglas-F-4G-Phantom-II/69-7232/

And having a desert-like background on the box art does not imply operation Desert Storm per se, maybe just flying over Nevada or something. Last time I visited Nevada it looked like a desert to me.

8 hours ago, Nebbor said:

And having a desert-like background on the box art does not imply operation Desert Storm per se, maybe just flying over Nevada or something. Last time I visited Nevada it looked like a desert to me.

It’s a perfect match for Iraqi sand, as this color swatch proves 😉

DSgemj2.jpg

Edited by RichB63

If this is true, I really look forward to a Meng 1/48 Phantom. If I remember my Phantomology correctly, an F-4G sets us up to easily also get a Late E model, which is still missing from the new wave of 1/48th Phantoms.

I consider the "New Wave" to start with the Academy F-4B which was first issued 10 years ago. (has it really been 10 years? wow) So that includes Academy, Zoukei Mura, Tamiya, and hopefully, Meng. 

Maybe the market is big enough for both kits, who knows, but it's certainly an "interesting" move by Meng. With Zoukei Mura's Phantom release schedule being known for a long time...

I'm quick to point out flaws with kits (and ZM is no exception) and I'm not a Fan Boy of any particular manufacturer. But I do feel for ZM, they've done a pretty good job with their F-4G (as far as I can tell), even going the extra mile of doing totally new tools for the fuselage, not re-using the sprues from their early E kit.

To that end, Meng would have to at least make a modular insert to create an both an accurate E and G from the same moulds. Also, the G models had retrofitted slats so the belly/wing had the reinforcement strap. Zoukei Mura have done this in their G kit, but this rules out using it for late block E models with the stronger wing skin (and as such without the external strap).

J

I too feel for ZM as I really like their kits. That being said if it gives us a Meng-quality late E sooner than in 3-4 years, which is the speed at which ZM goes from one version to the next, I'm pretty happy too. It's a mystery to me why ZM is so slow at releasing subsequent versions, and why they did the G before the late E. They had better move faster this time or Meng will capture 95% of the modern tooling late E market...

I'm not losing sleep over anyone, I'm just feeling sorry for ZM who introduced a fantastic line of kits but will most likely have its future sales cut down because they were too slow to follow up with subsequent kits. Interesting business example, that's all 😉

I’m very much more interested in this Meng release than the ZM kit, although the ZM kit looks very nice.  If the info on the box is correct, you’ll get retracted slats, more weapons and ECM pod options, and based on other Meng kits, you’ll probably get 3 or more decal options instead of the one for ZM.