Hmmmm, Meng 1/48 F-4G?

I’m curious about the correct configuration of the APR-38 low band antennas on the sides of the tail.  I know about the three antennas on the sides of the nose, but there seems to be some variation on how many should be on the sides of the tail.  Meng doesn’t seem to show any.  Photos I’ve seen show one each side, high up near the leading edge of the tail, and others show maybe a second one.

Not sure about the arrowhead stiffener on the stabs being represented by panel lines.  Hopefully they will have a PE part to go over it to provide some thickness.

2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

I’m curious about the correct configuration of the APR-38 low band antennas on the sides of the tail.  I know about the three antennas on the sides of the nose, but there seems to be some variation on how many should be on the sides of the tail.  Meng doesn’t seem to show any.  Photos I’ve seen show one each side, high up near the leading edge of the tail, and others show maybe a second one.

Not sure about the arrowhead stiffener on the stabs being represented by panel lines.  Hopefully they will have a PE part to go over it to provide some thickness.

There should be one low band antenna on each side of the fin (vertical stabiliser). The arrowhead-shaped doubler plates, like the missing belly strap, would be well-served by a pre-cut vinyl or etch set. (Might be in the kit?)

I'm liking this kit a lot. The windshield looks a little fat in the computer renderings — we'll have to see the actual plastic — but the canopy looks to correctly bow out laterally in the middle. 

Definitely buying one. Need to source a long ALQ-184 ECM pod from Wolfpack, and need to know if the kit has inlets (and not blanked off like the ancient Hassy), but it's looking rosy.

Tony 

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

Hmm, $130 retail price and $100 preorder price at Squadron.  A bit higher than I expected, and quite a bit more than the ZM kit.

It looks like that $100 price includes shipping

1 hour ago, stalal said:

I wonder how Meng develops their product so quickly. 

Who or what says it was done quickly? They may very well have started researching and designing their kit the moment ZM hinted at it, then planned the release to coincide with theirs. 

Sadly, it happens more often than some would like to believe, even on the aftermarket side of the house.

I believe Meng collaborates with Boeing (as they did with the Super Hornets) so they have access to actual production drawings and can churn out kits rapidly because they can concentratie on how to make it as a kit, not designing correct shapes.

Edited by Nebbor
31 minutes ago, Nebbor said:

I believe Meng collaborates with Boeing (as they did with the Super Hornets) so they have access to actual production drawings and can churn out kits rapidly because they can concentratie on how to make it as a kit, not designing correct shapes.

'Collaborting with' and 'Being licensed by' are two completely different things. While Meng may be licensed by Boeing, that may simply be so they can use the name (F-4G Phantom II) and to ensure the final product doesn't show Boeing and its product in a negative way. However, I'd be hard pressed to believe Boeing would give Meng actual production drawings, especially considering the fact they're a Chinese company. Absolutely not saying it didn't or couldn't happen, just saying that I personally would lean more toward 'no, it didn't'.

2 hours ago, Nebbor said:

To my view, they rather collaborate with modellers and aviation geeks, who are knowledgeable in the given subject.

2 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

'Collaborting with' and 'Being licensed by' are two completely different things. While Meng may be licensed by Boeing, that may simply be so they can use the name (F-4G Phantom II) and to ensure the final product doesn't show Boeing and its product in a negative way. However, I'd be hard pressed to believe Boeing would give Meng actual production drawings, especially considering the fact they're a Chinese company. Absolutely not saying it didn't or couldn't happen, just saying that I personally would lean more toward 'no, it didn't'.

Exactly. 

I can see the logic in the "collaboration" theory when you only consider the Phantom because it's an obsolete aircraft. But the Super Hornet is a current front line fighter and the type will be the most encountered by the Chinese should any of their questionable moves in the South China Sea spark a shooting conflict. Any business with Meng beyond licensing the name and likeness of Boeing aircraft could and should constitute treasonous activity. And I don't think Boeing is that greedy and stupid.  

2 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

So how do model manufacturers get version and the shape of the aircraft right? 

I agree with your point that the development could have been going for some time. May be Meng is good at announcing their kits when they are ready to ship them.

What I was thinking when I commented about their speed was they just recently released a Russian tank a few months back and now this kit. 

2 hours ago, stalal said:

So how do model manufacturers get version and the shape of the aircraft right? 

The only other access is at air shows and with walkarounds. They know the rough published dimensions so they just take lots of photographs and scale drawings out as best they can. Modern computers have helped make that process more accurate and easier but it still results in *some* inaccuracies.

Seems to me Meng would have made a bigger splash with a slatted E with TISEO as an option thereby beating ZM to the market with that variant. It’s worth noting the ailerons are fixed in the streamlined position yet the flaps are portionable. I’d rather see separate ailerons. They drooped while static. Other observers of the computer drawings are correct in that the stabilator reinforcements, aka “fish plates” stand proud and the wing reinforcement strap seems absent. G’s had them. I chuckled at the drawings that show a rearview mirror mounted to the canopy archway and one mounted on the rear canopy frame. While I prattle on, formation light strips weren't as pronounced as they appear on the drawings. 
Despite all the “observations”, I’m going to buy one to sit next to the ZM release; one in Euro One camo from Spang, the other a George jet in SEA  Paint.

Edited by BillS
54 minutes ago, serendip said:

The modelling news 'article' is a copy paste of the Meng announcement on their website - zero added value.

As is often the case with news announcements. Their build reviews are fantastic though!

9 minutes ago, serendip said:

Agree, I usually like their site but this was a waste of space.

Me too, it's one of the few sites I check daily 🙂 I'm thrilled when they publish build reviews, not so much with the Trumpeter announcements copy/pastes 😉

On 9/23/2022 at 12:43 AM, BillS said:

[Snip]...formation light strips weren't as pronounced as they appear on the drawings... 

I noticed that too and wondered if we're supposed to fill them in with glow-in-the-dark paint?  The terms emery paper & elbow grease spring to mind.

It's looking like a great kit. Just wondering what the other two markings will be?  

Looking forward to this more and more,

Tony

On 9/22/2022 at 11:42 AM, Dave Roof said:

By Federal law Boeing doesn't own the blue prints for the F18 or whatever! You are notified right away in a bottom corner of the blue print as soon as you lay your hands on it. 

They own the part and also the processes used. When somebody says they had access to the OEM blue prints I know instantly it's a lie! An engineer taking a roll of drawings home will get stopped at the gate while they check him out (it's allowed with a special pass). I have seen at least one guy leave the building in hand cuffs that was scanning a blue print that he didn't have permission to view. Also know of several who have had visits from the FBI. 

gary

9 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

By Federal law Boeing doesn't own the blue prints for the F18 or whatever! You are notified right away in a bottom corner of the blue print as soon as you lay your hands on it. 

They own the part and also the processes used. When somebody says they had access to the OEM blue prints I know instantly it's a lie! An engineer taking a roll of drawings home will get stopped at the gate while they check him out (it's allowed with a special pass). I have seen at least one guy leave the building in hand cuffs that was scanning a blue print that he didn't have permission to view. Also know of several who have had visits from the FBI. 

gary

Well, what a conundrum this is turning out to be.