Hmmmm, Meng 1/48 F-4G?

10 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

By Federal law Boeing doesn't own the blue prints for the F18 or whatever! You are notified right away in a bottom corner of the blue print as soon as you lay your hands on it. 

They own the part and also the processes used. When somebody says they had access to the OEM blue prints I know instantly it's a lie! An engineer taking a roll of drawings home will get stopped at the gate while they check him out (it's allowed with a special pass). I have seen at least one guy leave the building in hand cuffs that was scanning a blue print that he didn't have permission to view. Also know of several who have had visits from the FBI. 

gary

1 hour ago, serendip said:

Well, what a conundrum this is turning out to be.

More like a bit confusing. Not sure how any of what Gary posted is relevant to the discussion.

While committed to the box top Hill Gray II offering of 232/YGBSM from the Southern Watch era, I am curious what the other two markings options are.

A Standard ARM indicates at least one from the period 1978-1985, i.e. SEA, wrap-around SEA or European 1, and a Clark Field jet would be nice for a change — although the prototype SEA scheme with international orange tail and wingtips (69-7254, first flown in December 1975) would be cool, especially if it featured the Weasel Spook insignia on the intake cheeks. 

I can't believe that the Meng F-4G would be a one-shot deal: there's got to be a slatted wing TISEO Arnie F-4E coming out after this, but I'm really grateful the first is an F-4G Wild Weasel variant. Looking at the Super Hornet kits is it a fair assumption that this kit will also feature full length intake ducting? 

Tony 

On 9/29/2022 at 7:16 AM, Niels said:

Prototypes are unfortunately for the specially interested, the main lot prefers operational birds. But agree it would be interesting to learn what other marking options they have included? 

Agree, and the Reid Air Publications operational Clark Field PN markings are a must for me.

However, Caracal, which has released a string of early scheme sheets might cover the testbeds as they wouldn't take up much space: 697254 with the international orange and spook insignia, and 69-263 when it wore GA codes around 1977 (WW by the time the first true deliveries took place in April 1978 — though Caracal would need to redo the 35th TFW insignia for the latter, which was wider and squatter than the usual back-stabber design drawn for the F-105G sheet, which would be fine for '263).

But if the Meng kit does come in at £100 a box that's going to rein me in with just the one. £70 a box and I'll get two. 

Tony

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2022 at 2:36 PM, stalal said:

So how do model manufacturers get version and the shape of the aircraft right? 

To add to what member TheGloriousTachikoma advised you last month...

As I'm sure you know, these days there is 3D mapping that can capture just about perfect views that can be converted to CAD files & so forth. You still must rely on the time tested bazillion hand measurements & today's ability to take digital photos needed to get the finer detail. In the absolute best case all you need is access to the 1:1 aircraft. Obviously there are hundreds if not thousands of preserved obsolete aircraft all over the world. The company just sends a rep to obtain the required measurements & sometimes doesn't even need permission if the curators are permitted to offer reasonable access to the subject or just cordially have given pre approval before the rep can get the go ahead.

However, despite the latest tech available to anyone or company can provide there's still the likely chance that no model will be 100%. Just roll with it & use scratch building or aftermarket or pass up the subject if you don't want to invest the money or the time. I hope someone can get their paws on the real plastic & post some profiles. I don't think Meng's version has the correct nose profile from what the current pictures show. I hope I'm totally mistaken because that's something hard to ignore & way past my ability to correct. I want to see the ZM example too. I'm convinced that you can take the wings off theirs to convert their early -E to its final slatted upgrade. Change the cockpit bits & there you have a good example of an -E, no? 

Semper Fi,

Masterguns 

There are tens upon tens upon tens of aftermarket F-4G decals out there that you can use to make a good looking -G. The SHG & Afterburner sheets are a two that come to mind. Leading Edge are outstanding, too. 

Semper Fi,

Masterguns

1 hour ago, Gunny said:

There are tens upon tens upon tens of aftermarket F-4G decals out there that you can use to make a good looking -G. The SHG & Afterburner sheets are a two that come to mind. Leading Edge are outstanding, too. 

Semper Fi,

Masterguns

How many of those tens upon tens upon tens are still available?  I’ve looked recently and there are very few sheets in stock anywhere, unless you go to the secondary market like eBay.  I would already have a ZM kit on the way if I could find other decals for it.

1 hour ago, Gunny said:

I want to see the ZM example too. I'm convinced that you can take the wings off theirs to convert their early -E to its final slatted upgrade. Change the cockpit bits & there you have a good example of an -E, no? 

I’m sure you can swap wings, but then what do you have left?  A F-4G kit with unslatted wings, which doesn’t exist.  Why spend $75 for basically just a wing just so you can upgrade their early -E kit?  If you can’t wait for them to release it on their own, it’s much cheaper to get the Hypersonic Models slatted wing conversion for the -E kit.  

https://www.hypersonicmodels.com/product/f-4e-late-slat-conversion

Also, the belly strap on the F-4G kit wing is molded to the underside of the wing, which limits the -Es you can build to those that were built with hard wing and later converted to slatted wings.  F-4Es built with slatted wings had internal strengthening and didn’t need the strap.

14 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

I’m sure you can swap wings, but then what do you have left?  A F-4G kit with unslatted wings, which doesn’t exist.  Why spend $75 for basically just a wing just so you can upgrade their early -E kit?  If you can’t wait for them to release it on their own, it’s much cheaper to get the Hypersonic Models slatted wing conversion for the -E kit.  

https://www.hypersonicmodels.com/product/f-4e-late-slat-conversion

Also, the belly strap on the F-4G kit wing is molded to the underside of the wing, which limits the -Es you can build to those that were built with hard wing and later converted to slatted wings.  F-4Es built with slatted wings had internal strengthening and didn’t need the strap.

Exactly. I wouldn’t, but it’s an option for those that keep begging & screaming for a kit that we don’t know will ever be produced by ZM or Meng. That’s their prerogative & I’m not holding my breath. And, yes, I agree about the HS slatted -E conversion set for the ZM early model. Jeff makes some really good stuff & I already have them. Well, I actually have three since I always buy kits & aftermarket in sets of three.

The Hasegawa -E & G, in example, have the shapes & profiles almost dead on. Their slats are lacking but there’s aftermarket or some great scratch building techniques to follow for that old kit. Beggars can’t be choosers or folks can wait for that possible day one will be released. Who knows? 

Semper Fi,

Masterguns

Edited by Gunny
16 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

How many of those tens upon tens upon tens are still available?  I’ve looked recently and there are very few sheets in stock anywhere, unless you go to the secondary market like eBay.  I would already have a ZM kit on the way if I could find other decals for it.

There are Two decal sheets coming from Reid Air Productions. One is a reissue of the 1/48 Combat Weasels sheet, the other is a new sheet covering all the various camouflage schemes. They're not available yet but will be soon.

On 10/13/2022 at 4:30 AM, GeneK said:

Having just gotten my Zukei Mura F-4G (from Sprue Brothers), I don't think Meng will be able to top it (the kit itself, not the $79 ZM price)! Will be interesting to see the inevitable comparative reviews when it comes out. 

Gene K

Im with you.

Based directly off Mengs most recent F-18 its still a generation and a half behind the sharpness and quality of detail in ZM Phantoms.

Unless Meng pull a very big rabbit out of the hat to somehow match ZM’s beautiful sharp detail its going to be a poor second choice.

Price wise its going to be equivalent or within 10-15% more or less than the ZM kit in most of the world except China however Meng in Japan will be far more based off Hornet prices in Japan some 40% more.

Id say id comfortably pay 30-40% more for the ZM quality compared to a Meng equivalent 

Maybe Meng will take a hit on price to try to compete with a very much superior product.

No way im taking on ZM head to head at a similar price with the current tooling standard at Meng though.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm liking the look of the Meng way more than the Z-M. The canopy looks to be correctly bowed in the middle in plan view, even though the windshield might be a fraction too wide. 

Thanks for posting the pic Solo. This one's getting my money. 

Curious to know if any other variants will follow, e.g. Israeli F-4E with refuelling probe.

Tony 

3 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

In the Phantom Phlashers group on Facebook there are more detailed photos of the kit posted. Honestly, after comparing them to my Z-M kit, I'm sticking with Z-M.

Thanks Dave,

I'll check that out.

Curious as to the particulars of why you're sticking to Z-M; the misslies on the Meng do appeal.

Marc.

1 minute ago, serendip said:

Thanks Dave,

I'll check that out.

Curious as to the particulars of why you're sticking to Z-M; the misslies on the Meng do appeal.

Marc.

Phantom Phlashers is a private group I now see - bit of an overkill to become a required member for some pics. Never mind.

On a general note the lack of posted pictures of the Meng and ZM kits surprises me - usually I'm spoiled for choice, now almost nothing.

Thanks all,

Marc.