Hmmmm, Meng 1/48 F-4G?

On 12/18/2022 at 1:32 PM, serendip said:

I am just amazed at the petty squabbling which has taken over this thread.

I read that Doog's post from 2021. Yes, there is a lot (or allot) of cursing. I moved past it and got the point of his page. 
Being passionate about something, tends to lead to researching a subject(s). Becoming a self-labelled SME. But the lack of personal social skills required to post on an anonymous forum board, are highlighted. Combined with many that are already socially awkward or just jerks in person, just makes it worse. Gives them a platform to be heard. Right or wrong. 

16 hours ago, ST0RM said:

I read that Doog's post from 2021. Yes, there is a lot (or allot) of cursing. I moved past it and got the point of his page. 
Being passionate about something, tends to lead to researching a subject(s). Becoming a self-labelled SME. But the lack of personal social skills required to post on an anonymous forum board, are highlighted. Combined with many that are already socially awkward or just jerks in person, just makes it worse. Gives them a platform to be heard. Right or wrong. 

Weel said - you hit the nail on the head.

Marc.

On 12/22/2022 at 9:15 PM, RichB63 said:

Rich,

I received mine yesterday from Sprue Bros via UPS (Florida). Amazing speed from both Sprue and UPS despite the holidays and weather!!

I taped major parts together, and the fit is outstanding! Even the open panel on the left side in front of the intake closed up fairly nicely (I had misgivings when I saw test shots, but still wish Meng had molded that panel closed).

Looking forward to the E model.

Gene K

Hi Gene,

Thanks for the update - happy to hear about the fit of parts!

My copy was delivered yesterday too but I’ve so far managed only a cursory look at the contents. 

Notwithstanding the errors and omissions previously reported, there’s no denying this is a state of the art kit in many important respects: the one piece fuselage is very cleanly molded and the panel line and fastener detail is refined and consistent across all exterior surfaces.

d8EI6J1.jpg

1mOddBF.jpg

0pMaB7K.jpg

Edited by RichB63

For me, that ridged effect was the most unexpected feature of this kit.

After seeing some builds of other brands' kits using tiny strips of masking tape to emulate it, I wonder how it will look with some dry brushing.

6 hours ago, cruiz said:

For me, that ridged effect was the most unexpected feature of this kit.

After seeing some builds of other brands' kits using tiny strips of masking tape to emulate it, I wonder how it will look with some dry brushing.

I agree with you cruiz…it’s a puzzling feature, and one that cannot be easily corrected.

I will say that it’s less offensive when viewed with the naked eye - lighting and close up photography tend to exaggerate its appearance. I dare speculate that, if painted and weathered effectively, the heat shield might look extremely realistic from normal viewing distances (say more than 12 inches away). 

It’s otherwise beautifully tooled, devoid of seams and fits perfectly to the fuselage.

The separately molded tail hook is nicely done too.

EAsMHJx.jpg

As you can see, it has a ribbed texture as well, but perhaps one more in keeping with the documentation, as seen here.

JtpSYzV.jpg

Edited by RichB63

Ive been looking over a Monogram F-4D recently and then looking at either of these kits I think both look pretty amazing.

The details on the ZM kit look a lot more refined and crisp but then that photo of the top view really seem to highlight some of its problems.

I really dont like the idea of filling in that spine piece and the nose has a lot in common with the Monogram F-4D... Maybe.
However it still looks like an amazing kit.

The Meng kits heat shield looks interesting. It wouldnt take much to remove those ribs bbut I wouldnt mind having a go at working with them to get the streaking effect.

I like the way Meng havent tried the old trick of getting as many variants out of the one fuselage though.

I think one would have to do quite a bit of sanding to improve the keel and tail hook. 

You can see in Rich’s photo of the outer wing panels how the RWR antennae on the wing tips aren’t quite right on the Meng kit. They also didn’t get the forward end of the wing fence right. Can’t tell if Z-Ms is completely right from that angle, but it does extend past the leading edge.

Z-M’s nose looks kind of wide compared to Meng’s.

A pet peeve about slime lights - why do manufacturers insist on having the lighted area sunk in below the edges of the frame? While the lights on the F-4 stood proud of the fuselage, the lit part was flush with the framed area.

Ben

I'm still so torn between the two. I like ZM's finesse with the details. But the issue with the straight cockpit sills and the spine insert are killing my enthusiasm for ZM. Sounds like ZM may also have some fit issues (see ZM thread).  If I had to decide today, I think I'd go with Meng and add all the missing details (mostly rivets/fastners) myself. Can't wait for a comprehensive, side-by-side build comparison. What a fascinating time to be in this hobby.

...I had totally missed the fact that ZM didn't mould the slime lights onto the fuselage. Since they tooled an entirely new fuselage for the G kit that's inexplicable.

Otherwise, I still prefer the ZM kit overall. There are too my small issues here and ther on the Meng kit. There certainly are some on the ZM kit as well but on the balance sheet ZM wins for me. But others' mileage may vary.

J

15 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

A pet peeve about slime lights - why do manufacturers insist on having the lighted area sunk in below the edges of the frame? While the lights on the F-4 stood proud of the fuselage, the lit part was flush with the framed area.

Ben

So you can fill them with glow-in-the-dark paint?  I'm inclined to sand them down a bit and use decals

I'm hoping Aires Quickboost does a set of antennae. 

Tony 

4 hours ago, GeneK said:

Thanks for the outstanding pictures, Rick. What's your photo set up?

I also appreciate your positive approach.

Gene K

Hi Gene…nothing fancy: iPhone 12 and a couple of small desk lamps, positioned as close as possible to the subject. Blue poster board eliminates background clutter.

I post edit the images using the iPhone settings: exposure, brilliance, contrast, etc.

Edited by RichB63
4 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

Your iPhone images turn out better than my best attempts with a DSLR camera! 😄

Ben

Yeah...
If Apple arranged your holiday flights for you then you would turn up to the airport a comfortable hour before your flight, you would be asked for your passport and luggage, you would be shown into a nice well lit room with various refreshments all supplied at an extra cost, you would then be told a couple of hours later you have now arrived at your destination and asked to leave via the exit clearly marked with the green arrow...

It works but sometimes its about the journey, as painful as it is 🙂

Good photos are taken by a photographer not by a camera. A photographer who understands exposure, lighting and composition makes the best of the equipment and tools at their disposal. 

Good work RichB63 👍

15 hours ago, habu2 said:

Good photos are taken by a photographer not by a camera. A photographer who understands exposure, lighting and composition makes the best of the equipment and tools at their disposal. 

Good work RichB63 👍

Yeah as many a tog has said in the past.
The best camera is the one you have with you at the time.

The Cybermodeler website has just expanded their (already sizable) Phantom reference library with hundreds of new images from the Aero Research range.

Click here for Phantom section

ToRrwqA.jpg
from Cybermodeler website

Edit: oops, thought I being topical with an image of an F-4G. I’ll leave it be as it’s a great photo 🙂

Edited by RichB63