Hmmmm, Meng 1/48 F-4G?

Interesting for sure, though not my scale. How many times have we seen it..... One company comes out with a kit, then takes forever to box subsequent variants, and another manufacturer beats them to the punch. It seems to happen fairly frequently, since they're mostly covering the same subjects over and over and over......  Fred K.

The AN/ALQ 131 is nice, especially for a 52nd (T)FW F-4G. 500 gal. centerline fuel tanks were used until the mid- 80s and if not found in the Meng kit, there are some resting in the spares box.

CAD drawings are looking nice and I am eagerly awaiting this kit!

Thst looks gorgeous for sure. But knowing what Meng charge for their Super Hornet kits I wonder what kind of market they will have above the ZM kits. That many people wont be super hard for the AGM-78 will they?

Maybe it will be more about Euro and Asia availability since I dont think ZM have much market penetration outside of JP and USA. 

6 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

Plenty of options from the aftermarket side..... Flight Line Resin, Eduard and Hasegawa Weapons Set C

I recently bought one of those and the old Hasegawa weapons sets are really long in the tooth. Raised panel lines and it's almost impossible to get missile halves lined up correctly. The level of detail is very high and fine but the molds are getting long in the tooth. 

How common was the triple rail Maverick launcher in practice? We seem to get this thrown in kits all the time which is fine for an airshow load, but we rarely get the single rail launcher.  I can't find a photo of a F-4G lugging a pair of these around in the air. The closest I found was one photo of an Iranian F-4E lifting off with a slant two load (inboard empty) and 3 fuel tanks.  The single rail launcher seemed to be used more often on the F-4G with ARMs outboard and a CL fuel tank.  Another option that looked common was a pair of CBUs on a TER on the inboard stations.

1 hour ago, flanker27 said:

wow $53 from LM, thats pretty cheap compare to ZM

$87 with shipping. That $53 is also LM's price, which can't be compared to the ZM price. For starters, ZM isn't carried by Lucky. The Meng Super Hornets also sell for $53 at LM, yet they retail for over over $100 here in the US (Yes, they sell for $84 - $95, but the MSRP is still $100 +).

Would bet money the Meng retail price in the US for the F-4G is going to be comparable to their Super Hornets, thus making the $75-ish price of the ZM kit more affordable to some.

Warning: nit-picking.

I don't see a fuselage/belly reinforcement strap. I'm not an expert on the G model but I thought they had them?

The canopy shape looks a bit flat/squashed, but that may totally be a render/perspective issue so wait and see. It does look like the canopies have internal structure, framing and detail, which is good.

The fuselage shape looks good, in particular near the engines and tail. Whether the cockpit area has got the subtle lateral bulge is difficult to see in these views, we have to wait and see.

The stabilator anchor cover plate looks like it's meant to be either a PE part or an insert piece of sorts (on FB they say it's movable). In any case, it looks miles better (means flatter) than on the Tamiya kit, which to me is the stand out "ugly spot" on the otherwise great T kit.

Not sure about the stabilator's "fish plates". They look like simple engraved lines instead of raised plates. We'll see.

J

2 hours ago, caudleryan said:

I suspect that may be a preorder price. Expected release date in October, so I kinda wonder if Meng started on this project at about the same time as ZM? 

May well be, but ZM's schedule (at least up to the G) was known long in advance so it's not that Meng coudn't have known.

J

56 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

$87 with shipping. That $53 is also LM's price, which can't be compared to the ZM price. For starters, ZM isn't carried by Lucky. The Meng Super Hornets also sell for $53 at LM, yet they retail for over over $100 here in the US (Yes, they sell for $84 - $95, but the MSRP is still $100 +).

Would bet money the Meng retail price in the US for the F-4G is going to be comparable to their Super Hornets, thus making the $75-ish price of the ZM kit more affordable to some.

At LM pre-order price and with shipping, it's $62.41, which is JPY8969 (LM's currency converter is hopelessly out of date). That's a bit above ZM's after-tax price in Japan. Prices of Meng's Hornets within Japan are around the JYP13,000 mark.

6 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

At LM pre-order price and with shipping, it's $62.41, which is JPY8969 (LM's currency converter is hopelessly out of date). That's a bit above ZM's after-tax price in Japan. Prices of Meng's Hornets within Japan are around the JYP13,000 mark.

Well yes, different countries are going to have different prices, some being less or more expensive than others. I was specifically talking about the US as obviously, that's where I'm located.

1 hour ago, Dave Roof said:

Well yes, different countries are going to have different prices, some being less or more expensive than others. I was specifically talking about the US as obviously, that's where I'm located.

Im with you on this.

The Meng F/A-18F kit can be bought in the UK for £55.99 inc shipping, while a ZM Phantom is about £82.90 depending on which version (example of F-4E price)

So its not going to be as cheap as LM makes it out to be but its going to be some way until you get to a ZM Phantom. 

I use the F/A-18F as the example because its the actual price, and I think the prices will be about the same.

Edited by ElectroSoldier