Addressing Destroyed Clear Part?

Hey All,

I destroyed the clear plastic part on a 1/48 Airfix Stuka Ju-87B/R-2, the wing leading edge landing light clear cover.  The part is curved to match the leading edge curvature, and has some riveting around the perimeter.  I have written to Airfix Customer Service to see if a replacement is available, but have gotten no response as yet.  Wondering if anyone has any bright ideas as to how to address a part like this.  I can't envision scratch building a clear part, at least not one this small, curved and with additional details.   

If anyone happens to have this kit that they aren't going to build, or have a built one that you plan to junk and could recover this part, maybe that's the easiest way to go?  

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Edited by Curt B

A chunk of clear plastic that fits into the spot in the wing.  Sources might be an old clear toothbrush.  Once glued in place file and sand to shape. Polish it out andThen add details.  Modelers use this technique to replace the wingtip lights on aircraft all the time.

Geoff M

Airfix are normally pretty good with spares etc, if they have the kit in, they should be able to help. You may not get a speedy response, esp over the weekend/Mon as virtually everything is closed on Mon. here for HM.

https://support.airfix.com/hc/en-gb/articles/4411389893906-Spares-Request-

-------------

Find some thin, flexible acetate sheet as commonly used in food packaging - especially for 'windows' in boxes containing things like cakes...

....cut a piece to the size and shape required allowing a 1-2mm overlap all around, in which rivet detail can be reproduced using a fine point on the reverse side to leave raised impressions on the outer face...

....then attach using either superglue/cyano or white/PVA glue, starting with the rear top edge, followed by the upper sides down to the leading edge, and allowing to dry/set thoroughly before bending around to the underside - then complete by fixing those edges and finally the bottom rear edge.

Wow, great ideas, gentlemen!  Good excuse to get some goodies at the grocery store, too!!!  I don't know why I never thought of using commonly available/present packaging as a source for clear plastic.  I'm still hoping that some time over this coming week, Airfix will respond to my request for a replacement part, but now, at least, I've got alternatives to recreate a curved clear plastic window for my Stuka wing leading edge!  You guys are super...many thanks for helping me think outside the box!

Edited by Curt B
  • 9 months later...

I'm the original poster of this thread, and in case anyone is interested, I've resolved my problem, such as it is.  Airfix DID eventually respond to my request for a replacement part, but the cost was beyond crazy.  After including shipping, it would have been easier and better to just buy the kit again.  Stupid!  So I rejected that idea, and decided to go with the plastic from food packaging idea.  i also decided that it wasn't necessary to try to include the riveting around the outside of the clear, rather, having the clear aspect back was the most significant part of the fix.  I did manage to curve the part so that it mostly matches  the front edge of the wing, though it doesn't do a great job of smoothly transitioning to the wing; there is a definite step between the wing and the part, but still better to have the clear aspect back again.  Thanks for the help way back when!  Now maybe I can restart this long stalled airplane build which had been waiting on a decision about this.  I have no idea why it hit me this morning, but it did! 🙂

Edited by Curt B

Another useful tool that I use regularly is UV curing clear resin. But, it can be pricey, although the bottle will last you a lifetime. I use it to reinforce seam lines, making new clear parts, and filling in windows on airliner kits. Once cured, it can be sanded, drilled, scribed and painted over with no problems.