Canadian Chipmunk canopy.

Has anyone come out with a 1/48 replacement to make the new Airfix Chipmunk into a proper Canadian one? I know the RCAF had three very early ones with the kit style. But I wish to do the version I got a flight in. Nice big bubble style.

No one (yet) does a Canadian DHC-1 canopy/windscreen or any conversion .  Be aware that the windscreen differed too as well as the bubble canopy.  In fact the list of differences between a British built Chippie and a Canadian built example is quite extensive.

Tony

ps. Barney Dunlevy made his own canopy when he built a Aeroclub Chipmunk.  I started to fashion a vac one, then gave up.

Edited by Snowbird3a

Yes, I can deal with the landing gear and exhaust. Canopy is rather hard to scratch , not owning a vacuum former or knowing how. I read 5 years ago about Barney Dunlevy. Was hoping MAYBe someone had done a part for Canadian canopies.

Well plenty in the stash to build while I wait.

Shawn,

It's really a pity, but a quick check of SCM and the googlesphere shows no such AM part canopy available. I remember that the Airfix 1/72 Chippie had both canopies included. I built mine as a RCAF Canadian built version while I was in Baghdad. You would think that Airfix would have done the same for their 1/48 sale kit.  Good luck!

K/r,

Dutch

9 hours ago, Dutch said:

Shawn,

It's really a pity, but a quick check of SCM and the googlesphere shows no such AM part canopy available. I remember that the Airfix 1/72 Chippie had both canopies included. I built mine as a RCAF Canadian built version while I was in Baghdad. You would think that Airfix would have done the same for their 1/48 sale kit.  Good luck!

K/r,

Dutch

the MANY differences in the two versions negated Airfix including just a canopy or landing gear

Tony