Resin canopies - do they yellow?

I'm planning on making a clear canopy, should I go the clear epoxy way or the thermoforming way? I read thermoformed parts yellow over time, but then I also read this about clear epoxy 😕 What's everyone experience on this topic?

I believe Haneto made F-15C canopies for the GWH kit, did anyone use it and have any yellowing issue (even though it's only been a couple of years)?

Thank you,

Arnaud

I have one of Haneto’s sets for the GWH F-15 and the set has yellowed so much that it isn’t useable! So I am going to have to use his set as a master and pour a new one with clear resin in order to save the model.  I have to believe that the resin he used was a very poor quality!  I have clear resin pieces that I have made that are still clear after several years!  The set he made would have corrected a major issue with the GWH F-15, if it were not for the quality of the final product!  Might be something to look into for BAM Models Arnaud!

I’d be in for at least 5 sets to cover the Eagle kits I have in the stash right now!  Something to think about!

Edited by ORANGF15Guy

Interesting question; some time ago, I saw a video on making car lens replacements in resin; because of the application, this material is supposed to be very clear and UV resistant. I wondered if it could be helpful for your intended purpose and not yellow over time.

https://www.smooth-on.com/tutorials/creating-replacement-car-lens-crystal-clear-202/

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm sorry to hear the F-15C set's yellowing issues, I guess I'll cast test pieces today with the two different clear resins I have, let them exposed outside and see how it behaves over time.

Arnaud

Here's a clear epoxy casting I made recently. At the front is the kit part.

g1-79.jpg

And here's the same resin after 1 month in the Dutch summer sun. Nothing has happened so far. I just did a quick check, at 1 3/4 month, again nothing has changed.

g1-86.jpg

But it's difficult to extrapolate this to years. More here: https://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/models/g1.htm

If so go the vacform route, I've always understood that PET-G (Vivak) is the safest solution, i.e. non-yellowing.

Rob

Arnaud,

I have my set available if you would like me to take some pictures of the yellowing so that you can see what it’s like?  Let me know.  I have also seen some two part clear resins that say they will not yellow due to UV protection!  Please let me know if you would like images 

Brad

• 2 months later...
On 9/24/2022 at 7:39 PM, Rob de Bie said:

This photo was made today, after 45 days of exposure. The part on the left is the original kit part. I don't see any discoloration.  Looks promising!

g1-87.jpg

Rob

Hello Rob, it's now been a few months, how is the resin behaving? Which brand of resin did you use by the way?

Thank you so much,

Arnaud

I ended the exposure on 29 October 2022, since summer had long ended here. Total outdoors exposure was 80 days, and I did not see any discoloration in that time. I think the material is safe to use for an indoors display.

What I used is 'Epoxy Crystal Clear Pro' from Silicones And More, a Dutch supplier. I'm pretty sure it's a rebranded generic (Chinese?) resin. You would be able to spot it under another brandname, because of its extreme potlife and cure time, ~10 hours and ~100 hours respectively!

Rob

Awesome, glad to hear such good news!

100 hours curing time?? Wow! Maybe that's one of the reasons why it yellows so little, apparently fast curing time = heat = yellowing

Thank you so much for doing the test, merry Christmas!

Arnaud