Photos from MCAS Miramar Air Show (24 Sept, 2022)

Hey ARC,

I was in San Diego this past weekend for MCAS Miramar's airshow. I'm no pro, but I thought I'd share a few of my photos anyway.

Enjoy the photos here: Miramar 2022

Feel free to share your thoughts.

Cheers!

-O

Edited by oortiz10
spelling
  • oortiz10 changed the title to Photos from MCAS Miramar Air Show (24 Sept, 2022)

Nice pics!  I live just a few miles from the base, and go just about every year, but this year forgot about getting grandstand tickets online until the last minute and they were sold out, so I didn't go in.  I always felt that the south-facing seating didn't present the best lighting, and since I wasn't going in, I decided to try something I had been curious about and pick a spot south of the base, and while I didn't great views of things because I was so far away, the lighting was much better.  I think I'll try to get to a spot south of the runway on base next time, if possible.

Here's an example of what I got of a Cobra making a closer passIMG_5125wp2560x1440.thumb.jpg.e7aa707d546754199c12ef8f0f2b118f.jpg

Beautiful shot, Ken. I agree that the lighting can be a bit of a challenge. I'm not a good enough photog to worry about exposure, shutter and aperture. I just try to point and shoot. I'm lucky if I get a good few. Your shot though, is lovely!

Everyone else, thanks for the pats on the back. Glad you enjoyed my shots.

Cheers!

-O

2 hours ago, SERNAK said:

It's been what, 26 - 27 years since NAS Miramar became MCAS Miramar and it still feels strange when you hear it!!!!

wiki say 1999 was the change over. I feel like it was a little earlier like 98. As I recall when stationed on base it was MCAS but it could be faded memories. 

Well, not to get technical, but it was MCAS Miramar before it was NAS Miramar to begin with ...

Great shots O, Thanks for sharing ...!

Ken, always cool to see your stuff too ...

-Gregg

15 minutes ago, GreyGhost said:

Well, not to get technical, but it was MCAS Miramar before it was NAS Miramar to begin with ...

Correct and US Army property before that.

1 hour ago, GreyGhost said:

-Gregg

Just out of curiosity Gregg, do you know if there is a book that mentions the base history?

-Bill

10 hours ago, GreyGhost said:

Tank, Camp Kearny ...?

Yes. 
Camp Holcomb/Elliott

Naval Auxiliary Air Station Camp Kearny 

Marine Corps Air Depot

Naval Auxiliary Air Station Miramar

Naval Air Station Miramar

MCAS Miramar

Great images, I didn’t realize the Marines were still flying the CH-53.

My son and I flew down from Canada a few years ago when the Red Arrows were at the show, we had a great time. There is a UK Defence video online of my son being interviewed by UK Defence Media. They were surprised to find a Royal Canadian Air Cadet in the crowd.

Yea, the Marines are getting the new CH-53K King Stallion ...

That's cool about your son being interviewed for the UK  ...

We seen the Red Arrows perform that year also but here in STL ...

Attended many Miramar shows back when it was still "Fightertown USA" ... 

-Gregg

6 hours ago, Scooby said:

Great images, I didn’t realize the Marines were still flying the CH-53.

Up until 2012 we had 3 squadrons flying the D model. Even pulled a few birds out of storage during OIF. They are now E or V-22 units. 

That is cool about your son and the interview. 

I think the last time I was at Miramar was 2000. When then they broke the longest wall of fire record. Looks like Yuma holds that record now.

14 hours ago, GreyGhost said:

Yea, the Marines are getting the new CH-53K King Stallion ...

That's cool about your son being interviewed for the UK  ...

We seen the Red Arrows perform that year also but here in STL ...

Attended many Miramar shows back when it was still "Fightertown USA" ... 

-Gregg

That explains it, I was sure the CH-53 was gone from the base in 2019.

My Scottish Cousin, ex-RAF, saw the Reds in St Louis the same year, he lives in Indy now. He had his picture taken with the Red Arrows CO. At Miramar, I met the same CO. We posed for the exact same pose in our photo and I sent it to my cousin. He had a good chuckle.

My son also met and had his photo taken with every Red Arrow pilot and every Blue Angel pilot at the Miramar airshow. This summer I pinned my sons wings on at his wings parade.

I did a three week deployment to Miramar with my RCAF Hornet squadron in 2005. It was an awesome trip.

14 hours ago, Tank said:

Up until 2012 we had 3 squadrons flying the D model. Even pulled a few birds out of storage during OIF. They are now E or V-22 units. 

That is cool about your son and the interview. 

I think the last time I was at Miramar was 2000. When then they broke the longest wall of fire record. Looks like Yuma holds that record now.

I did a TD at Miramar with my RCAF Hornet squadron in 2005, at that time the base was covered in CH-53s.

Yes, it was a great show for my son.