1/48 YF-23 PAV-1 "Black Widow II" (Hobby Boss / BAM Models / Caracal decals)

My next build is going to be the HB YF-23, built as PAV-1. The HB kit represents the second prototype (PAV-2), which had in particular different exhaust nozzles and vents, plus a couple of antennae. The object of this build is thus to convert HB's PAV-2 into PAV-1.

Yes, the HB kit has some overall shape issues but I won't address these here as they would require extensive surgery and I'm aiming for an enjoyable build I can finish within a few week 🙂

First, the intakes design makes them hard to paint as it creates a dead end for the air flow. It also does not feature any engine first stage, although this is a side point considering how deep the intakes are.

I thus cut the end of the kit parts to create an opening and allow air to pass through, making it much easier to paint. I then replaced the cut part with 3D-printed parts representing the engine's first stage.

Thanks for watching, comments most welcome!

Arnaud

2022-09-23_00002

2022-09-23_00001

5 hours ago, FlyAndFight said:

Looking forward to your build log.

Happy to have you onboard!

Once the intakes were sorted, next item on the list is the multiple vents on the upper and lower fuselages. As mentionned earlier, PAV-1 vents are not at the same locations as PAV-2 vents, and the kit vents are very crude anyway (basically flat plastic with a scribed outline if any). I thus proceeded to design nicer vents (taking local fuselage curvature into account) and to integrate them on the kit:

52389823491_cf9648fc0f_c.jpg

52389823536_9741194117_c.jpg

Edited by arnobiz
29 minutes ago, arnobiz said:

Thank you John. There will be two sets: a PAV-1 conversion set and a PAV-2 upgrade set. Details will be released soon 😉

That's great. I'll be ordering when available. In the meantime I'll be watching this build closely.

Cheers,

John

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Time for the serious stuff now, namely the PAV-1 YF-119 exhausts 🙂

The fuselage needs to be cut a bit and new lines engraved, after which the 3D-printed exhausts can be installed easily. The last picture is admittedly lousy, it's the best I could get with my phone showing the whole thing up to the afterburner

52390481784_a34bf19cb6_c.jpg

52390251435_aa72846dfe_c.jpg

52390601025_e6d561703c_c.jpg

52390175541_41eb88d49b_c.jpg

52389250307_eda43f9846_c.jpg

52390416413_7d6b8b3261_c.jpg

10 hours ago, Bsin said:

Are you considering offering these details for commercial sale?

Look 4 posts up. Arnaud stated he will be releasing a PAV-1 conversion set and a PAV-2 upgrade set.

Cheers,

John