Swiss F-5E Question

4 hours ago, CivicSiKL said:

Why do they carry the one orange (I think dayglo) sidewinder? Is it active? What color is that and the drop tank painted?

thanks!

-Kyle

Quote from the linked article.

”Normally we train F/A-18 against the F-5. This helps us to distinguish blue air from red air. The F-5 has a single tail fin whereas the Hornet has a double one, but still during a fight it is quite difficult to see that. We therefore often equip F-5s with orange fuel tanks and missiles to identify them as part of red air, so we don’t have blue air shooting other blue air jets. Generally, we only fly F/A-18 versus F/A-18 in Beyond Visual Range combats.”

Click here  ALPINE TIGERS article

Cheers,

John

On 10/6/2022 at 8:45 PM, CivicSiKL said:

New question - what type of ACMI pod is this?

BC52756B-19DB-49CC-B387-221344407C7B.jpeg

Looks more like a captive French Air-to-Air missile used in ACM.  I can't remember the missile type but it is used in ACM by removing the fins.

WARDOG

It’s a Diehl FPR(Flight Profile Recorder) AACMI pod. I think it’s based on the IRIS-T body.

ACMI pods and Captive missiles are completely different pieces of kit designed to do completely different tasks, it’s not just a case of removing or adding fins to have one or the other.

Edited by scotthldr
12 hours ago, scotthldr said:

It’s a Diehl FPR(Flight Profile Recorder) AACMI pod. I think it’s based on the IRIS-T body.

ACMI pods and Captive missiles are completely different pieces of kit designed to do completely different tasks, it’s not just a case of removing or adding fins to have one or the other.

Thank You for the enlightenment!