decal and not even surface

Hi everyone. Just wondering if there is any tips or workaround to set decals on the bottom portion on a 1/48 scale Spitfire wings.

The bottom surface of the wings is not even as it has holes and couple bumps. I used Solvaset to soften the decals for the round

RAF insignia and when it dried, it has some break lines and wringles around it. Beside painting the insignia, is there a workaround ?

Thank you.

Thanh Huynh

Sorry you've had some problems.  I've tried some things in the past which were counter to some advice that seems to have worked.  For example, I"ve read in the past that after applying Solvates or other 'softening' solutions, that one should leave the decals alone, and if they wrinkle, just to leave them alone to conform as they dry.  That has sometimes worked for me, but in some cases, I've chosen to use Q Tips and 'rolled' them over the decal to press the decal into gaps, rivets and other 'non-flat' surfaces.  That written, when i have done this, I've done so prior to letting the decal get to the softened, wrinkly stage of the process.  I would not recommend doing this during the softened stage. There is no real good way to tell if a decal is not going to conform well, but typically, I've tried to do the 'Q Tip roll technique' most of the time.  I've had ssosme success with letting decals conform on their own, but aiding the decal in this conforming process tends to help it along, in my experience. 

Hi Curt,

That's what I did. Been watching lot of video about building kits on youtube and i followed the tips.

I touched up the roundelle with Solvaset every couple hours but it did not help. Will have to order

a set of WW2 RAF insignia and will give it another try. Thank you for the reply and tip.

Thanh Huynh

Hi there,

Unless the raised details are big and high, Solvaset and Q tip will work. First apply Solvaset and see if it does anything. If not after 30 minutes apply another layer. if you feel the decal will not snug down then wait till almost dry, get a damp Q tip and push straight into the bumps. Do not roll as you may tear the decal. Just gently push straight down. Do not prick as this will show a defect in the decal. The key is to push the decal down when it is almost dry and at its elastic stage. Dai 

3CC483E4-4345-43B2-AA81-E288B9732035.jpeg

Edited by dai phan

Hello Dai,

Thanks for the reply and the tip. Once i have a replacement set of decal for the bottom part of the wings then i will follow your suggestion.

The area I have issues with it has 4 bumps with various sizes as pictured below. I was able to remove the decal by applied some Solvaset to soften the decal again after it dried and removed with masking tape. Some stubborn area, i had to use to a toothpick to scratch it off. Now I have to retouch the area with paint ☹️

Thanh Huynh

decal_issue.jpg

8 hours ago, thuynh said:

Hello Dai,

Thanks for the reply and the tip. Once i have a replacement set of decal for the bottom part of the wings then i will follow your suggestion.

The area I have issues with it has 4 bumps with various sizes as pictured below. I was able to remove the decal by applied some Solvaset to soften the decal again after it dried and removed with masking tape. Some stubborn area, i had to use to a toothpick to scratch it off. Now I have to retouch the area with paint ☹️

Thanh Huynh

decal_issue.jpg

These bumps are small. You should be able to get the decals to conform like my Spitfire (1/48). Dai 

The small bumps will be ok, but the larger heating duct fairing will require more stretch than many decals will have. I went through several roundels on a 1/72 scale Tamiya Spitfire before deciding to simply mask and paint the roundel. If you opt for paint, you could either use a roundel painting mask or just pre-paint the vent in the whatever roundel color will be over it and then hope for the best when the decal tears 😉