Tamiya 1/48th Lockheed F-35 A Lightning II-Item#: 61124

2 hours ago, ijozic said:

Could it be Italeri plastic, perhaps? Same weapons, noticeable RAM panels, deployable ladder, etc.

Never ceases to amaze me. Italeri announced a new tool F-35B and several modelers were either certain it was just a re-box of the Kittyhawk kit, or questioned whether it was. Tamiya announces a new tool F-35A and now modelers are questioning whether or not it's the Italeri kit. Which doesn't even make sense since they're completely different versions.

Agree. The way the A in F-35A is emphesized on Tamiya's boxing leads me to think that we'll see the B and C in due course. 

Whether the B is the Italeri version remains to be seen, but they have cooperated in the past and will again for sure. So could be. 

Doesn't take away my joy of knowing I have the Italeri B on the way 🤩

56 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

Never ceases to amaze me. Italeri announced a new tool F-35B and several modelers were either certain it was just a re-box of the Kittyhawk kit, or questioned whether it was. Tamiya announces a new tool F-35A and now modelers are questioning whether or not it's the Italeri kit. Which doesn't even make sense since they're completely different versions.  

So, apparently we have to pre-approve the questions we can post on this forum otherwise we get sneered at?

Unless I'm mistaken, I didn't actually see a 'new tool' explicitly mentioned on their webpage (though, admittedly, I don't know if they usually specify that it's an Italeri kit when they do a reboxing, either). As Tamiya often uses Italeri molds and makes new tools quite sporadically, it's a fair question, IMHO.

It might also amaze you that I did manage to notice they're different variants, but presumably, Italeri will release an A eventually anyway. So, they could also produce it for Tamiya before they actually release it on their own given how Tamiya is primarily interested in Japanese market and Japan operates the F-35A, while Italy, which is Italeri's primary market usually, does operate the F-35B surprisingly..

Edited by ijozic

Don't take this personal, as it isn't. Just have to remember that it is customary for several manufacturer to release same or similar kits around the same time, but doesn't mean they're interlinked in any way, although in some cases they are. 

In this case, Italeri has released an F-35B, while Tamiya F-35A. So already there one should see that it is not the same kit. It's that simple.  

1 hour ago, Niels said:

Just have to remember that it is customary for several manufacturer to release same or similar kits around the same time, but doesn't mean they're interlinked in any way, although in some cases they are. 

In this case, Italeri has released an F-35B, while Tamiya F-35A. So already there one should see that it is not the same kit. It's that simple.  

I never stated it's Italeri's plastic, I merely suggested it as a possibility from a quick glance at it (including the list of included weapons which is exactly the same) and now it seems I'm fighting tooth and nail to prove it, which I'm not. Was merely trying to justify the suggested possibility..

Regarding the second point, yes, but in my limited knowledge, F-35A and B share the basic shape and A is a simpler variant of the B with a fixed exhaust and no vents for the vertical lift fan, so if you already developed a model of the B variant, it doesn't take much work to get the A from it. You do need to add a gun port, not really sure what else.

Edited by ijozic
29 minutes ago, ijozic said:

So, apparently we have to pre-approve the questions we can post on this forum otherwise we get sneered at?

Simply pointed out this happens all the time. I only quoted you because you were the first to mention it in this particular thread. It happened in the Italeri F-35B thread and it's happening all over Facebook. As Niels mentioned above, don't take it personally as it wasn't really directed at you (notice I specifically mentioned 'several modelers').

Regarding your last comment on the differences between the B and the A. While they share the same basic shape, that is about it. If Tamiya were to release a B, it would require a completely new tool as there are several changes in the airframe. 

Sorry, I might have misread the tone and probably overreacted as I was doing something else in parallel. The intention was not 'to steal the thunder' from the thread about the new announcement from Tamiya (which wasn't really an announcement, just a product page).

While I did forget to mention the larger weapon bay of the A, from a CAD perspective, with B done, you would still have most of the work already done for an A along the way.

Having said that, I'm not familiar with Tamiya's announcement practices, but I'd expect a bit more fanfare in the announcement given how much money it costs to develop new molds in house for them. I feel a scenario where they cooperated (or better, co-financed the kit development) with Italeri to make them an A variant together with their B (rather than to develop a brand new mold of their own in parallel), would make perfect sense here, IMHO. Especially in THIS economy.

I guess time will tell..

Edited by ijozic
51 minutes ago, Solo said:

How do we know it is new tool? There is nothing about it on Tamiya website.

4 minutes ago, Solo said:

There is nothing about new tool there.

Seriously!? FFS, it's been confirmed as a new tool by people that were in attendance to the show, Tamiya Model Magazine's Official Facebook page, Several Hobby pages on Facebook and on-line, Tamiya's US office and the kit will be on display at a show in southern California this weekend. What more do you possibly need?