Tamiya 1/48th Lockheed F-35 A Lightning II-Item#: 61124

On 10/1/2022 at 8:50 PM, ElectroSoldier said:

Interesting, there's nothing orderable for the European market yet. 

Will this be a Japan only release? 

Technically all those Italeri reboxed by Tamiya have always been for the Japanese market. Although with the internet and intl shipping they have appeared outside, some of the old ones due to fixed prices and fluctuating exchange rates are cheaper than the original Italeri kit. I have several of their 1/72 Su-34 and A-10 reboxes because they've been cheaper than the original Italeri box. But in this case I don't know why you'd want a more expensive 10k+ yen rebox (that's roughly $75USD +S&H from Japan, with current exchange rates) of the italeri kit when you'd find it at the same price or even cheaper locally in Europe? And looking at the info on the cardboard it seems there are no extras to sweeten the deal, it's the same parts and decals as the original Italeri release, bar maybe a Tamiya designed instruction sheet.

Edited by Inquisitor
On 9/30/2022 at 11:20 PM, delide said:

§30 is a great deal. But to be fair, Meng kit is developed like 5 years ago, where everything is cheaper. Nowadays their new tool kits aren't cheap either, their new 1/35 Chieftain costs about 70EUR. Prices for all kits have risen.

And Meng's F-35A certainly looks very much like it, but there many shape issues, for example the fuselage wing transition area if anyone is interested, it's totally flat, on the real thing it's curved like the Tamiya above here. 

F35.png

After seeing the Tamiya weapon's bay detail I'm glad I only purchased one Meng kit. The detail on this kit looks pretty good.

5 hours ago, Inquisitor said:

But in this case I don't know why you'd want a more expensive 10k+ yen rebox (that's roughly $75USD +S&H from Japan, with current exchange rates) of the italeri kit when you'd find it at the same price or even cheaper locally in Europe?

I saw a pre-order at some local webshop for roughly 60 USD (for the Italeri F-35B). I wonder how much the Tamiya kit will go for as I'd prefer the F-35A..

14 minutes ago, ijozic said:

I saw a pre-order at some local webshop for roughly 60 USD (for the Italeri F-35B). I wonder how much the Tamiya kit will go for as I'd prefer the F-35A..

$78 and some change at Squadron.

Seems like some RAM panels are intentionally thicker than others from Solo’s post.   Another detail not skimmed over by Tamiya. I preordered my copy already. At this rate I’ll never get any models completed. 

From the pictures alone the RAM panels seem quite pronounced but I will wait until I see the real thing to make any judgement. Nothing some sandpaper sponge/sticks cant fix.    

My previous 2 builds with 2 Tamiya vipers saw a moderate amount of scratchbuilding in the gear bays. Gotta say Im very happy with what Tamiya has done here. Really did their homework. 

Thanks for posting the pictures and letting us see a preview of whats to come. 🍻

21 hours ago, Inquisitor said:

Technically all those Italeri reboxed by Tamiya have always been for the Japanese market. Although with the internet and intl shipping they have appeared outside, some of the old ones due to fixed prices and fluctuating exchange rates are cheaper than the original Italeri kit. I have several of their 1/72 Su-34 and A-10 reboxes because they've been cheaper than the original Italeri box. But in this case I don't know why you'd want a more expensive 10k+ yen rebox (that's roughly $75USD +S&H from Japan, with current exchange rates) of the italeri kit when you'd find it at the same price or even cheaper locally in Europe? And looking at the info on the cardboard it seems there are no extras to sweeten the deal, it's the same parts and decals as the original Italeri release, bar maybe a Tamiya designed instruction sheet.

Erm... No
Technically many of them are orderable from Tamiya by their distributors outside of Japan.

On 10/4/2022 at 3:41 AM, B2Blain said:

After seeing the Tamiya weapon's bay detail I'm glad I only purchased one Meng kit. The detail on this kit looks pretty good.

I'm glad I didn't buy a single Meng F-35.

Edited by flybywire
On 10/3/2022 at 9:41 PM, B2Blain said:

Yes, the details look amazing, looks to be the best from their 1/48 kits by far, or even the best from all. Also the shape  looks perfect, every things that all the other manufacturers got wrong in any scale, they got it right, it's like they had blue print or reverse engineered the thing...

There are new build up photos, it looks perfect,  https://www.tamiyausa.com/blog/new-images-lockheed-martin-f-35a-lightning-ii-model-kit/

Edited by delide
1 hour ago, delide said:

Yes, the details look amazing, looks to be the best from their 1/48 kits by far, or even the best from all. Also the shape  looks perfect, every things that all the other manufacturers got wrong in any scale, they got it right, it's like they had blue print or reverse engineered the thing...

There are new build up photos, it looks perfect,  https://www.tamiyausa.com/blog/new-images-lockheed-martin-f-35a-lightning-ii-model-kit/

Very nice new images on the Tamiya link. I wonder why two canopies? 

43 minutes ago, stalal said:

Very nice new images on the Tamiya link. I wonder why two canopies? 

I guess it's for switching it open or closed, if we don't glue the canopy. For the canopy in open position there must be support parts, which could then be plugged into the openings at the front(can be seen in the fuselage part).

On 10/10/2022 at 12:51 PM, flanker27 said:

Do anyone know when Tamiya will release this in Japan? have a friend going to Japan next week and hoping to pick up a couple if its going to be release soon. Thanks

A few years back I could have sworn the US got the kits before the Japan market when I was over there.

My understanding was/is that Tamiya, in an attempt to fairly "even out" distribution, may ship early to distributors with directions to hold the product until a certain predesignated day. However, some distributers seem to always jump the gun.

Gene K

9 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Is there any more information out there that the delayed kit is a 1/32 New Tool F-4B? Anyone else here that?

Who said that?  Other than the standard wishing that comes with every Tamiya announcement, I’ve never heard of this.  In fact, of all the kits that people are hoping of, this isn’t one that I’ve seen mentioned.